Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

There is his incision on the side of his neck/upper back area. He had a local reaction to a subcutaneous baytril injection. It turned into a necrotic black hole but eventually healed to a hard spot with a dent in it. However, he continuously scratches at it. We figured it probably itched like having a scab all of the time. So, off it came on Monday (no anesthesia as he's not a good candidate, just a local).

But here's the amusing part:

His foot is bandaged so he can't scratch the sutures out.

I tried to hold most of the coat out of the way so you can see things clearly.

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Awww...sweet baby...does the bandage bother him? Brinkley would chew at the bandage and worry me to death.

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
Awww poor baby...Lots and lots of XOXO's for Mikey!

·
Registered
227 Posts
Originally posted by JMM@Feb 2 2005, 10:32 PM

There is his incision on the side of his neck/upper back area. He had a local reaction to a subcutaneous baytril injection. It turned into a necrotic black hole but eventually healed to a hard spot with a dent in it. However, he continuously scratches at it. We figured it probably itched like having a scab all of the time. So, off it came on Monday (no anesthesia as he's not a good candidate, just a local).

But here's the amusing part:

His foot is bandaged so he can't scratch the sutures out.

I tried to hold most of the coat out of the way so you can see things clearly.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=33076
[/QUOTE]
The incision site looks good! Was the area black color(scab) with an indent or did it turn flesh color prior to the excision? Just curious.
What a great idea to keep him from scratching the area
Looks like a little blue bootie......sooo cute.

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
I hope Mikey heals up quickly!! That little bandage/bootie is is so tiny!! Sometimes with all their hair, I forget how really tiny they are underneath it.

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Mikey leaves his bandage alone.

The black chunk of flesh did fall out and it healed up pretty well to a small dent and hard chunk of skin surrounding it. It wasn't shaved that broadly so you couldn't tell other than he had scratched out some hair around it. If you touched it or separated his hair, you could tell.

·
Registered
6,614 Posts
I think I missed a post of something... but what happened to Mikey!!?? What is a subcutaneous baytril injection??
Awwww.... poor Mikey! Kodie and I send lots of hugs!

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Baytril is an anitbiotic. An animal can react to any medication, even "holistic" or "natural" ones. Normally it is not a big deal, but Mikey is on immunosuppressive drugs so takes a long time to heal. I've actually never seen it in a dog before Mikey, but have seen a few in cats where a little hair falls out and they get a small sore at the injection site.

·
Registered
522 Posts
I hope Mikey heals quickly and appreciates that you removed his itchy spot. I too was admiring how silky his coat is. I'm off now to search if you've mentioned what shampoo/conditioner you use on him. LOL

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
Mikey sure seems to get some weird medical issues, huh? He rivals my Lady for being a walking veterinary encyclopedia!

Lady gets insulin injections in the scruff area sub q twice day, but we've never had a problem with dead tissue. I try to rotate the site, but Maltese are just so darn small it's hard. She had a hemotoma once, but it went away on it's own in about a month or so.

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Originally posted by LadysMom@Feb 4 2005, 08:36 AM
Mikey sure seems to get some weird medical issues, huh? He rivals my Lady for being a walking veterinary encyclopedia!

Lady gets insulin injections in the scruff area sub q twice day, but we've never had a problem with dead tissue. I try to rotate the site, but Maltese are just so darn small it's hard. She had a hemotoma once, but it went away on it's own in about a month or so.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=33315
[/QUOTE]

Mikey and Lady are soul mates LOL If we lived closer, we could torture a vet by bringing them both in on the same day hehehe

It was more a reaction to the medication compounded by his lack of an immune system. If you use a new needle each time, you should be fine.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
Hope Mikey feels better real soon! Baxter and I send lots of hugs.
Thanks for sharing, you are a wealth of information.

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
[/QUOTE]

Mikey and Lady are soul mates LOL If we lived closer, we could torture a vet by bringing them both in on the same day hehehe

[/QUOTE]

It wouldn't torture the vets. They'd be laughing all the way to the bank!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts