Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 265 Posts

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a terrible person, which is why the following happened this morning:

My husband and I were walking Miko this morning (on a leash, as always). Miko was in a particularly good mood, running around and enjoying the last day off (I am starting classes on Monday). All of a sudden, a big german shepard/lab mix dog came running (unleased). Before we could do anything, the dog grabbed Miko by the skin on his back and was shaking him around. I was screaming, my husband kicked the dog, who finally let Miko go. Miko was crying, I was crying.... We rushed Miko to the vet. X-rays showed he has broken ribs, bruised chest, wounds on his back and the vet is concerned about shock. He is being treated with antibiotics, IV and continues x-rays to check on status of his lungs.

It turns out that the dog belonged to a college student, who has only owned him for a week, she got him from a shelter. Apparently, the shelter told her he was "certified" to be off the leash. I told the girl that she is responsible for the thousands of dollars Miko's hospital stay will cost us. Frankly, I don't care about the money, but I just want Miko to recover.

Miko needs some positive thoughts. I have been crying all day and we are supposed to hear from the vet between 3 and 4 about his bloodwork and newest x-rays. Thanks for listening.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
OMG I am so sorry to hear about Miko. Big Big hugs coming his way.
I will be praying that he recovers soon. Try not to be so hard on yourself, you are a very good mommy. Please keep us posted as to his results while we will have you all in our thoughts.

·
Registered
126 Posts
How awful! Please let us know how Miko is ASAP! I would be wanting to have a serious talk with who ever told that girl that that dog could be off leash. Unbelievably irresponsible!

·
Registered
3,261 Posts
Omg, I just can't believe this, I am sooo sorry
I can't express it in words.
My prayers will definitely be with Miko
I really hope that he is okay

You are not a terrible person, you really couldn't have done anything to stop this:grouphug:

·
Registered
86 Posts
That is SO horrible! I'm so sorry to hear it!

You are NOT a terrible person! Maybe the owner of the other dog is, but certainly not you or your husband. That dog shouldn't have been out and about without a leash. Especially considering the owner only had him/her for a WEEK. How could she be so sure of his behavior in ONE week?

How awful.

Good thoughts are going your way. Hope Miko will be OK.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you so much everyone. I am waiting anxiously by the phone (we spent all morning at the vets and they ordered us to go home).

I definitely plan to talk to the shelter that let this dog out with seriously wrong info. Miko seriously did not provoke this attack. It was so heartbreaking watching him cry and wimper as the vet examined him. I cannot begin to tell you how sad I feel.

·
Registered
513 Posts
I'm so shocked and sorry to hear about Miko!!! Our prayers go out to Miko and your & your hubby. Don't blame yourself for this, there was nothing you could have done it happened so fast. Sending positive thoughts and hugs to Miko

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Olga, I cant believe this. I am so shocked and sorry to be reading this. I'm praying for little Miko. I'm not going to relax until I know he is going to get better. I can't imagine all of your thoughts right now. When do you get to see him? keep us posted and I'll be checking all weekend. We will be thinking of all of you

·
Registered
29 Posts
I am a terrible person, which is why the following happened this morning:

My husband and I were walking Miko this morning (on a leash, as always). Miko was in a particularly good mood, running around and enjoying the last day off (I am starting classes on Monday). All of a sudden, a big german shepard/lab mix dog came running (unleased). Before we could do anything, the dog grabbed Miko by the skin on his back and was shaking him around. I was screaming, my husband kicked the dog, who finally let Miko go. Miko was crying, I was crying.... We rushed Miko to the vet. X-rays showed he has broken ribs, bruised chest, wounds on his back and the vet is concerned about shock. He is being treated with antibiotics, IV and continues x-rays to check on status of his lungs.

It turns out that the dog belonged to a college student, who has only owned him for a week, she got him from a shelter. Apparently, the shelter told her he was "certified" to be off the leash. I told the girl that she is responsible for the thousands of dollars Miko's hospital stay will cost us. Frankly, I don't care about the money, but I just want Miko to recover.

I am so sorry to hear about your baby!! prayers, hugs and kisses........

Miko needs some positive thoughts. I have been crying all day and we are supposed to hear from the vet between 3 and 4 about his bloodwork and newest x-rays. Thanks for listening.[/B]

·
Registered
2,629 Posts
Oh, how horrible...I am so sorry to hear that. Please don't be so hard on yourself, these things do happen and they happen so fast. A large dog like that can be across a yard in seconds flat...This is not your fault at all.
Yes, I would make the owner pay for the bills and I would spare no expense....nothing but the best for Miko.
We will all pray for his speedy recovery and I am sending healing vibes your way.
Please keep us posted on your little futrbaby's recovery.

Marie & Pacino

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Oh, my gosh. This is awful news

Prayers going up for Miko. ((((((((((((((Miko))))))))))))))))
Hugs to you, too!!!

~Carole and Divine Bella~

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
OH Olga,

I am so sorry this is happening to your little Miko....he is in my prayers and will remain there until he is back up to his usual self. I know that this is just horrible for you, your husband and your little angel....but he will get better because we will all be praying hard until he does.

As member we all know that his little boy is your life, so we know that there is no way that you did anything that would have put him in danger if you could help it....it is so hard to know how these big dogs will react to our little ones....you did nothing wrong.

Please dear lord....hold little Miko in your loving embrace until he can stand on his own again...and hold Olga and her husband there too.

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
Olga, you are not a horrible person. If anyone is to blame it is that very ignorant college student who let her dog off leash. I don't care if an animal is trained to be off leash, you just never know...that's why leash laws are in effect. I am praying for Miko's full and speedy recovery. Please know that you and your family are in our thoughts and prayers tonight. I have also said an intention to St. Francis (patron saint of all animals). Keep us posted.

1 - 20 of 265 Posts