Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

21 - 40 of 265 Posts

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Prayers and thoughts for Miko coming your way. It kind of hits home when something like this happens to a dog you know. It is definetly not your fault, I'm sure none of us would be anticipating something like this when we walk our furbabies. It is just a horrible accident, but I'll be hoping its one with a happy ending.

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Oh, I am heartbroken to hear this. First of all, I don't know why you say you are a terrible person. This was an accident that you could not have foreseen. Don't be hard on yourself. You are a devoted mommy to him. This is just so sad, I feel like crying myself....

·
Premium Member
13,652 Posts
Ohhh Noooooooooo I am so sorry this has happened to poor little Miko, it must have been terrible for all of you to have to go through such a dreadful experience.
I will be keeping Miko and you and hubby in my thoughts and prayers.
Please keep us posted on Miko's recovery progress.
's to you all from Scooby and I.

·
Registered
313 Posts
OMG!! I am SO sorry this happened. I can imagine how upset you are and I am so sorry. I will definitely be thinking of Miko. It's not your fault at all! You couldn't have done anything faster than you did. Please keep us updated on his progress.

·
Registered
7,621 Posts
OMG, that’s unbelievable....I can't believe someone would be so naive as to allow their dog to run unleashed.. I am so sorry for what you and Miko are going through and I hope for a speedy recovery.

·
Registered
7,741 Posts
omg im so sorry this happened to Miko. I hope he gets well soon! I had a 10yr old maltese last week that the same thing happend to..except when the man kicked the dog, it didnt let go...he had to pry the big dog off of the maltese. She had 5 broken ribs, lots of bruising, and had to have part of her lung removed. she pulled through like a champ and she was old. hopefull since Miko is stronger he will do well also. You, your family, and Miko are in our thoughts

·
Registered
7,486 Posts
Olga,
I am absolutely sick over what is happening with Miko. I will be watching and waiting for good news. 6 years ago, almost to the day, the EXACT thing happened to Jolie and me. It is awful and the violence of such an event made it hard for me to sleep for several weeks. The recovery is difficult and you do feel guilt, even though you know in your heart that you weren't doing one thing wrong. Sometimes we are just in the wrong place at the wrong time. I'm sorry that this is a fellow student, but you must insist that they pay for the expenses. I want you to know that Jolie made a full and complete recovery. I believe and hope with all of my heart that Miko will do the same......

PS The Shepherd/husky mix that attacked Jolie had hurt/killed 2 other animals. I told the people that if they didn't put the dog down I would prosecute. They complied the next day. I have no regrets.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Thank you so much for your thoughts and prayers everyone. I just called the vet and Miko is stable, his last x-rays look good and we will be going to see him in an hour.

The story with the other dog gets worse. I encouraged the college girl who is the owner to go back to the shelter to talk about this dog since its only been a week since she got him. Otherwise, I was going to call animal control (or something to prevent this from happening to another little dog). She went to talk to the shelter and apparently this dog was known to have problems with little dogs (ie -- he attacks them) but the shelter's trainer thought he fixed it.
You can only imagine how angry I am. How can this shelter say its okay for this obviously aggressive dog to ever be off the leash??
Ughhhhhhhh I will deal with this later when I know that Miko is 100% okay.

Its so lonely in the apartment without him
I appreciate everyone's kind words. I just can't believe that this is happening to my little baby.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
*sigh of relief* I have been looking for you to post an update.

I am so glad Miko is doing better. We will continue to keep Miko and your family in our thoughts and prayers.

Give the Champ lots of Hugs and Kisses from me and Baxter!!!!

·
Registered
17,034 Posts
Olga, I am so sorry that this happened to little Miko. We will be sending positive thoughts and prayers your way. Please keep us posted.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
OMG, this is every Malt Mommy's nightmare. I am so sorry to know that Miko was attacked, and so glad to hear he is stable. I'll hold him in my thoughts and send healing energy his way.

I do believe that, if the shelter trainer did indeed say that s/he had "cured" the attacker, and led the new owner to believe that this dog was safe off leash, the shelter should also be held responsible for costs. The shelter staff should be professional and knowledgeable enough to know that ALL shelter dogs are unpredictable and must be handled and released with caution until they have been carefully integrated into their new lives for at least several months.

·
Registered
2,801 Posts
Oh Olga, I have tears running down my face, I can't imagine the horror you witnessed. You cannot blame yourself; you, Miko and your husband are victims of a stupid and reckless dog owner. I'm just glad that Miko is stable. Please keep us updated on his progress. You are all in my thoughts and prayers.

I agree that the owner and shelter will be responsible for Miko's medical bills. Hopefully they will do it without having to take legal action.

Kisses to Miko from Ruby!

·
Premium Member
13,652 Posts
I am so relieved to hear that Miko is doing better, thank you so much for the update on his progress, please give him a little
from Scooby and I when you see him.
We will continue to pray for his full recovery, and please don't feel bad Olga, as they have all said it isn't your fault, you couldn't have known that this would happen. These things do happen so very unexpectedly.
I am just so happy that our fences are up because we have new neighbors and they own 3 large dogs that run loose, I won't walk Scooby around here any more because of them.

·
Registered
5,656 Posts
Oh my gosh. Poor little Miko. I am sitting here crying for him as I type this.

First of all, please know tht Miko is in my thoughts and prayers and please keep us updated--this is just awful!

Second, I want to add that if I were you I would call the animal shelter that she got the dog from to double check her story. She may just be giving you a load of bull.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
So happy to hear of improvement for your baby Miko. I read your post just as I had to leave the house for an appointment. It made me feel just sick. No way could you have prevented this or known it was going to happen so please don't blame yourself. I've been praying for Miko and you and your husband ever since I left the house. I will continut to pray for a speedy healing. I can't even imagine this house without Belle in it, my heart goes out to you. Hugs, Kisses and Prayers for Miko, yourself and your husband. A little bit different story, but my son's 12 year old dog was not expected to make it through surgery close to a year ago. They asked my son if he still wanted them to go ahead. Of course, he said yes there is no dollar amount on this dog. It doesn't matter how much it costs. All this to say we prayed as a family and our church prayed and Colt is doing fabulous. Miracles do happen. I said all this in the hopes of encouraging you. God cares about our fur babies too. ~ Jackie

·
Registered
13,097 Posts
My heart went right to my throat , and tears welled in my eyes when I read your post.. I am so soo sorry your dear little Miko had to endure such a terrible attack! It certainly wasn't any fault of yours... don't feel one bit guilty.
I know you are so worried and my heart goes out to you.it really does. I can't imagine having such a thing happen...it must have been terrifying!
I started praying immediately and I will continue till we find the post that says little Miko is all better... and I'm certain he WILL come thru this fine!

Terry Naddie and Angel Missy

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
I agree that you should verify this girl's story with the shelter. I also think that the dog should be reported to animal control. I know it's hard to think about, but your actions now might prevent this dog from attacking another dog, or small child, in the future. I am so upset about poor little Miko and Olga and her husband, I can hardly type this. Please continue to keep us posted on his progress.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
I just saw this thread and am so sorry to hear about the attack but relieved that Miko is stable please keep us updated and I will be praying for a speedy recovery for Miko and for peace for you

21 - 40 of 265 Posts