Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, Martini's brother Milo (my roommates dog) had really runny #2 yesterday. She was at work so I was the one to clean it up. Both dogs are litter box trained but he started going all over the house... AND it was bloody, and was really slimy. So, if that wasn't bad enough when she got home around 7:30 last night she was like, 'well Milo threw up 3 times this morning...' Of course I was like, I think you should call the vet... and she was like, 'no, I'll wait to see how he is doing in the morning.'

WHAT????????????

Poor little guy. I feel so bad for him. He was in her room this morning, so I will be interested to see if he went all over her bed last night...
I'm just kind of mad at her right now..he's just a little baby...

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
you should just take milo to the vet. who cares about what she says. you'll find out that it might be really serious and then tell her that you want her dog. your roomate really makes me mad.

·
Registered
994 Posts
She should take milo immediately it could be coccidia which can kill him
whenever Maxi has runny stool i take it right to the vet to test
a few weeks ago i spent 75.00 having him tested for heartworm or any type of parasites its important maltese's are delicate when it comes to there stomach
nothing is too much for me when it comes to my Maxi , i dont care what its costs even if i dont have it ill spend it

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
I'm assuming that Milo is just a puppy so it's even more important to get Milo to your vet immediately. These little guys can dehydrate really fast from diarrhea and vomiting. After having larger dogs all my life, I learned this the hard way when my Lady started throwing up from chewing and swallowing her fur after a professional grooming. We will never know whether it was an allergic reaction to shampoo or stress, but a trip to the emergency vet on Sunday cost me $300 for an exam and xrays for blockage (none was found). I was sent home with some anti-nausea pills which didn't help. Lady continued to vomit throughout the night and by the time I got her to my regular vet the next morning, she was severely dehydrated and had to be hospitalized and hooked up to an IV for several days. It cost me nearly $1000. And she was a full grown adult dog.

Even the most minor thing can turn into a life threatening emergency, especially in a puppy. Milo could have eaten something toxic. You are right to be upset with your roomate. She assumed the responsibility for this puppy and she needs to get him to the vet asap.

·
Registered
323 Posts
I agree not only because of Milo but you have Martini that is in the same house and exposed to him, if he is sick....please keep us posted on how he is doing. Poor little baby.

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Please get this baby to the vet. It is definitely "something". Whether benign or serious, there is some reason for stools being running, bloody, etc. At the very least, he could need antibiotics.... This is not the time to "wait and see". Keep us posted. I'm worried.....

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Okay, so I called the vet and (of course) he said to bring him in. So I made an appointment and then called my roomate and told her how serious it was and I had made an appointment. I had made it for when I got home from work, but being that I told her how much the vet stressed he came in she decided to just head over now.

I understand this is her first dog and all, but why would she ever think that "waiting it out" would make matters better? I reminded her when I was just talking to her, was over the weekend Milo and her brothers dog were playing and they were in this nasty swamp... I was like, 'you probably want to make sure he didn't get worms or something.'

Well I will keep you all posted. He is going in right now...

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Originally posted by nataliecmu@Oct 27 2004, 12:12 PM
  I reminded her when I was just talking to her, was over the weekend Milo and her brothers dog were playing and they were in this nasty swamp... I was like, 'you probably want to make sure he didn't get worms or something.'

Well I will keep you all posted. He is going in right now...
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=13479
[/QUOTE]

EEEEWWWW!!! Def. take him to the vet!

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
Good lord! How old are the puppies? They shouldn't be playing with other dogs (or in swamps) untilthey've had all their shots. All sorts of bacteria grow in rancid water. Their little immune systems just aren't that strong at that age. They've depended on Mom's milk for protection from disease up until weaning and are very vulnerable.

Well, if she's hit with a steep vet bill, she'll learn the hard way, that's for sure.

Keep us posted.

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Originally posted by LadysMom@Oct 27 2004, 12:35 PM
Good lord! How old are the puppies? They shouldn't be playing with other dogs (or in swamps) untilthey've had all their shots. <div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=13482
[/QUOTE]

They will be 4 months in a few days... and they have had all of their shots...

I guess I just think you can never be too carefull.

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just got a call.. Milo is fine, he was put on antibiotics for the next 5 days and given soft food. The vet said he would be okay, but it's a good thing she broght him because he was slightly dehydrated. No real problems though.

Thank you for all of your posts and making me feel like I wasn't being over-protective. :D

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Originally posted by nataliecmu@Oct 27 2004, 01:50 PM
Just got a call.. Milo is fine, he was put on antibiotics for the next 5 days and given soft food. The vet said he would be okay, but it's a good thing she broght him because he was slightly dehydrated. No real problems though.

Thank you for all of your posts and making me feel like I wasn't being over-protective.  :D
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=13501
[/QUOTE]

wow, the little guy was dehydrated ???

why?? no water to drink??

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
Glad to hear little Milo will be fine. I hope your roomate thanks you for pushing her to take him to the vet. I'm sure you saved her a lot of money by not waiting!

The dehydration came from the loss of fluids because of diarrhea and vomiting. Since they are so small, Maltese and especially Maltese puppies can crash pretty quickly when they dehydrate.

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Originally posted by nataliecmu@Oct 27 2004, 02:50 PM

Thank you for all of your posts and making me feel like I wasn't being over-protective.  :D
[/QUOTE]

Even if it had turned out to be nothing.... don't ever feel guilty for being over-protective. IMHO you can never be too careful.... There were times when I felt "silly" for taking mine to the vet's and every time it turned out that it was a good thing I did. These little guys depend on us for their care. They are totally 100% dependent on us and we must not let them down.

·
Registered
707 Posts
Don't feel bad and overprotective at all. My puppy Piccolina had these same symptoms and I did take her to the vet right away but they did not diagnose her correctly until a few days later that I had to take her to the emergency room and she died of Parvovirus. I went through so much with her death...it was horrible. You have to be so careful when they are puppies. I got Bella 2 days after Piccolina died (the lady that sold me Piccolina bought me Bella as a surprise) and I had Bella in lock-down until her last shots. Now that she's almost 5 months is when I take her places but I'm still SUPER careful when she's around other dogs.

You just can't be too careful with your babies. I'm so glad that everything turned out ok. When I hear of bloody diarrhea and vomiting, I totally FREAK out so when I read your post I had a knot in my stomach. I'm glad to hear the puppy is doing well. Please keep us posted.

·
Registered
13,097 Posts
Originally posted by nataliecmu@Oct 27 2004, 02:50 PM

[/QUOTE]

I am so very happy to see Milo is gong to be fine.. whew! I don't think you were being overprotective by any means...you were using wise judgement. I have always been of the 'better-safe-than sorry" mentality. Believe me my 'obsessiveness' has saved Missy many a time from things getting out of hand.
Missysmom

1 - 20 of 27 Posts