Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Premium Member
21,119 Posts
Perhaps he threw up the water because he drank too much too fast. Maybe every 15 minutes you could give him just a little bit at a time and see if it stays down. IMHO I would not have the vet give his shots on Thurs. Seems to me that he needs all his immune system to get well and not have it involved in the vaccines, etc.

· Premium Member
21,119 Posts
Originally posted by MaltTease+Apr 18 2005, 11:28 PM-->
Originally posted by [email protected] 18 2005, 07:06 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-Lani
@Apr 18 2005, 04:45 PM
Have u tried Nutrical? It should help if he's not eating.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=53954

No i've never heard of it.... what is it?
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=54010

[/QUOTE]

I can answer that! Nutri-cal is a high calorie, low volume dietary supplement. Vets tell you to use it if your dog is a picky eater or has low appetite, or as an added source of energy for hunting and working dogs. It looks like toothpaste-- here's a photo:

Hope that helps! :D
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=54017
[/B][/QUOTE]

Good info, MaltTease! Thanks for posting the picture, too. As they say, "A picture is worth a thousand words!"

Milo, do you know about hypoglycemia, its symptoms, causes, etc.? It is a very dangerous condition that can occur in small dogs, usually, though, before 12 weeks of age. Milo is a little older than that but it never hurts to be prepared because it can happen at an age older than 12 weeks, also. Since you have never heard of Nutri-cal it makes me think that perhaps you don't know about hypoglycemia. Here is some info from my breeder that I've posted before.....

Hypoglycemia (Low Blood Sugar)

Hypoglycemia is a central nervous system disorder caused by a low blood sugar. It occurs mainly in Toy breeds between 6 and 12 weeks of age. Extremely tiny dogs can also be susceptible throughout adulthood. Often it is precipitated by stress.

The first signs are those of listlessness and depression. They are followed by muscular weakness, tremors (especially in the facial muscles) and later convulsions, coma and death. The entire sequence is not always seen. The dog may appear to be depressed or may be weak, wobbly, and jerky; or the puppy may be found in a coma.

Hypoglycemia can occur without warning when a puppy is placed in a new home, or while being shipped. It might appear after a puppy misses a meal, chills, becomes exhausted from too much playing or has a digestive upset.These upsets place an added strain on the energy reserves of the liver and can bring on symptoms.

Treatment: Treatment is directed at restoring blood levels of glucose. Begin at once...If the puppy is awake, give "Nutrical", Karo syrup, honey, or sugar water by mouth. You should begin to see improvement in thirty minutes. When unconscious, a puppy will have to be given a dextrose solution intravenously. A veterinarian should be called at once.

Owners of Toy breed puppies should encourage frequent meals, and never overtire them.

Milo, my vet has said to rub Karo syrup on their gums if they are showing signs of hypoglycemia. That will get it in their system the fastest. You may want to ask your own vet about this condition, etc.

I sure hope Milo is all better real soon. Keep us posted.....

· Premium Member
21,119 Posts
Originally posted by milo@Apr 19 2005, 07:44 PM
Ok.... I called the vet and he didn't seem to be very concerned. (one more reason to change vets) The best appointment I could get was for tomorrow.

Milo still isn't eating much, so I'm picking up some Nutri-Cal on my way home from the office. I was unaware dogs could have Hypoglycaemia... I'll ask the vet about it.

Not much more to report today other than that. So thank you all very much for your advise and support. It really helps. Milo is our first puppy, so we would have no clue without you.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=54284
[/QUOTE]

Hi, gosh I can't imagine why your breeder did not tell you about hypoglycemia....not all dogs get hypoglycemia... it is mainly small dogs such as Yorkies and Maltese. I sure hope Milo gets better soon..... I worry about him, too.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.