Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just now, Milo woke up form a nap in a panic, throwing up. He ran around, then started to rub his face on the carpet for almost 5 minutes. He then threw up again rubbed his face on the carpet and ran into his crate.

He's been diagnosed with tapeworms. Which from what I've read, should increase his appetite, not decrease it. And he hasn't been eating much, which is why I'm really worried. He's not acting like himself, and seems to be sleeping a lot today.

He has an appointment to get his third set of shots on Thursday... because it's Sunday today the Vet is closed. Should I be looking for an emergency pet hospital to take him to, or wait until his appointment Thursday? I could be totally over reacting, I just don't know... Has this ever happened to any of your babies?

· Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
He is acting a little depressed today...just lying around sleeping a lot... really cuddly. He's not interested in eating at all, not even treats. We gave him a treat earlier and he played with it but didn't really eat much of it.

He threw up twice, one huge one that was dark brown and the second one was smaller and the same color.

He is taking medication for the worms, safeguard. I was wondering if this is all part of getting rid of the worms...? Or if he's reacting to the safeguard...

· Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hello,

Milo seems to be feeling a bit better today. He still isn't eating. I'm not really sure what's wrong. I'm taking him to the vet on Thursday and getting a full check up. If he does have tapeworms he should be eating more... right?

I've been dissecting his poop every time and so far no worms, or anything resembling rice. I do see a lot of hair though. Maybe it's worms not hair.... I don't really know. When he chews his teething bone, he sometimes bites the carpet by mistake so that could explain the hair.

He hasn't thrown up today. But last night he would drink a bunch of water, then throw some of it up. He seems to be a little dehydrated. I'm trying to encourage him to drink as much as possible.

Thanks so much for all your advise and well wishes. It's calming to come here when I'm freaking out about something, even if it's something totally off the wall.

I'll keep you all posted on how he's doing and what the vet says Thursday.

· Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Originally posted by Kallie/Catcher's Mom@Apr 18 2005, 11:27 AM
Perhaps he threw up the water because he drank too much too fast. Maybe every 15 minutes you could give him just a little bit at a time and see if it stays down.  IMHO I would not have the vet give his shots on Thurs.  Seems to me that he needs all his immune system to get well and not have it involved in the vaccines, etc.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=53794
[/QUOTE]

You're right.... I never thought of that, maybe we should hold off on the shots.

As for the water thing... he likely did just drink too much too fast. Poor little guy, I feel so bad for him, I just wish he could tell me what's wrong.

Do you think I should take him in right away if he isn't eating? Or only if he's throwing up?

· Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Originally posted by Lexi's Mom+Apr 18 2005, 11:49 AM-->
Originally posted by [email protected] 18 2005, 02:41 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-Kallie/Catcher's Mom
@Apr 18 2005, 11:27 AM
Perhaps he threw up the water because he drank too much too fast. Maybe every 15 minutes you could give him just a little bit at a time and see if it stays down.  IMHO I would not have the vet give his shots on Thurs.  Seems to me that he needs all his immune system to get well and not have it involved in the vaccines, etc.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=53794

You're right.... I never thought of that, maybe we should hold off on the shots.

As for the water thing... he likely did just drink too much too fast. Poor little guy, I feel so bad for him, I just wish he could tell me what's wrong.

Do you think I should take him in right away if he isn't eating? Or only if he's throwing up?
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=53798

[/QUOTE]

How long has it been since he last ate or drank?
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=53803
[/B][/QUOTE]

I just called home... he's drinking lots.... and he ate breakfast.
He hasn't had a poop since last night though... which is unusual. He hasn't thrown up today, but makes really mucus-y sounds, almost like he throws up a bit in his mouth and swallows it.

His mood is also a little better today.

· Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Originally posted by ourprettytessa@Apr 18 2005, 01:31 PM
how old is Milo? will this be his last set of shots? i don't want to worry you, but maybe its kennel cough? we had a puppy a while ago and he had some of the same symtoms you are describing, we thought he had worms, then we thought it was kennel cough, and we came to find out it was distemper!!! i don't want to worry you any more than you already are, but try calling a vet and see if they will give you some info over the phone. good luck, keep us posted. i'm worried about him too!!
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=53856
[/QUOTE]

Yes this is his last set of shots. He's 16 weeks old. I'll research kennel cough and distemper tonight, so I know what I'm talking about when I cal.

Thanks for the heads up.

· Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Here's a little update...

I got Milo to eat tonight by sprinkling a treat over his kibble. He seems to be ok so far, hasn't thrown up. He's even playing. So I'm starting to feel a little more at ease. I'm calling the vet first thing in the morning to try to get him in tomorrow. Maybe he was reacting to the worm meds....? but I'd rather be safe then sorry.

I'm going to look for Nutri-Cal as well, just to be sure he's getting proper nutrition, with the worms and all that's been going on in that little tummy of his. I'll let you know what happens with the vet tomorrow.

· Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
Ok.... I called the vet and he didn't seem to be very concerned. (one more reason to change vets) The best appointment I could get was for tomorrow.

Milo still isn't eating much, so I'm picking up some Nutri-Cal on my way home from the office. I was unaware dogs could have Hypoglycaemia... I'll ask the vet about it.

Not much more to report today other than that. So thank you all very much for your advise and support. It really helps. Milo is our first puppy, so we would have no clue without you.

· Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
Looks like Milo's on the road to recovery.
He went to the Vet yesterday, and all seems well. He seems to think Milo was just reacting to the worm medication because he is so small. (At 16 weeks he's still only 2 pounds) The Vet did say that he is a little skinny, so we've added some yummy canned puppy food into the mix. He seems to really like it. He ate a big dinner last night and a big breakfast this morning.

My husband took him for a walk this morning and said he ran around lots and had a blast, so It seems like he's back to his normal self.

Thank you once again for all your helpful advise and for all your kind and encouraging thoughts. I really appreciate it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.