Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
21 - 40 of 49 Posts

· Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Originally posted by Kallie/Catcher's Mom@Apr 18 2005, 11:27 AM
Perhaps he threw up the water because he drank too much too fast. Maybe every 15 minutes you could give him just a little bit at a time and see if it stays down.  IMHO I would not have the vet give his shots on Thurs.  Seems to me that he needs all his immune system to get well and not have it involved in the vaccines, etc.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=53794
[/QUOTE]

You're right.... I never thought of that, maybe we should hold off on the shots.

As for the water thing... he likely did just drink too much too fast. Poor little guy, I feel so bad for him, I just wish he could tell me what's wrong.

Do you think I should take him in right away if he isn't eating? Or only if he's throwing up?

· Registered
7,310 Posts
Originally posted by milo+Apr 18 2005, 02:41 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-Kallie/Catcher's Mom
@Apr 18 2005, 11:27 AM
Perhaps he threw up the water because he drank too much too fast. Maybe every 15 minutes you could give him just a little bit at a time and see if it stays down.  IMHO I would not have the vet give his shots on Thurs.  Seems to me that he needs all his immune system to get well and not have it involved in the vaccines, etc.
You're right.... I never thought of that, maybe we should hold off on the shots.

As for the water thing... he likely did just drink too much too fast. Poor little guy, I feel so bad for him, I just wish he could tell me what's wrong.

Do you think I should take him in right away if he isn't eating? Or only if he's throwing up?
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=53798
[/B][/QUOTE]

How long has it been since he last ate or drank?

· Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Originally posted by Lexi's Mom+Apr 18 2005, 11:49 AM-->
Originally posted by [email protected] 18 2005, 02:41 PM

[/QUOTE]

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=53803
[/B][/QUOTE]

I just called home... he's drinking lots.... and he ate breakfast.
He hasn't had a poop since last night though... which is unusual. He hasn't thrown up today, but makes really mucus-y sounds, almost like he throws up a bit in his mouth and swallows it.

His mood is also a little better today.

· Registered
7,310 Posts
Originally posted by milo+Apr 18 2005, 03:12 PM-->
Originally posted by Lexi's [email protected] 18 2005, 11:49 AM
Originally posted by [email protected] 18 2005, 02:41 PM

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=53803
I just called home... he's drinking lots.... and he ate breakfast.
He hasn't had a poop since last night though... which is unusual. He hasn't thrown up today, but makes really mucus-y sounds, almost like he throws up a bit in his mouth and swallows it.

His mood is also a little better today.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=53810
[/B][/QUOTE]

Try giving him a tablespoon of canned pumpkin. It should help him go.

· Registered
3,445 Posts
OHHHHH DISGUSTING! And I thought the Alien Tick was gross! EWWWWW. Now I'm scared to take Cloud and Noriko walking around the neighborhood! Ppl don't seem to pick their poop up. EWWWWWWWWW And I'm about to live in an APT but I really dont' want Cloud to poop indoors.

· Registered
225 Posts
how old is Milo? will this be his last set of shots? i don't want to worry you, but maybe its kennel cough? we had a puppy a while ago and he had some of the same symtoms you are describing, we thought he had worms, then we thought it was kennel cough, and we came to find out it was distemper!!! i don't want to worry you any more than you already are, but try calling a vet and see if they will give you some info over the phone. good luck, keep us posted. i'm worried about him too!!

· Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Originally posted by ourprettytessa@Apr 18 2005, 01:31 PM
how old is Milo? will this be his last set of shots? i don't want to worry you, but maybe its kennel cough? we had a puppy a while ago and he had some of the same symtoms you are describing, we thought he had worms, then we thought it was kennel cough, and we came to find out it was distemper!!! i don't want to worry you any more than you already are, but try calling a vet and see if they will give you some info over the phone. good luck, keep us posted. i'm worried about him too!!
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=53856
[/QUOTE]

Yes this is his last set of shots. He's 16 weeks old. I'll research kennel cough and distemper tonight, so I know what I'm talking about when I cal.

Thanks for the heads up.

· Registered
225 Posts
Originally posted by milo+Apr 18 2005, 04:56 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-ourprettytessa
@Apr 18 2005, 01:31 PM
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=53856
Yes this is his last set of shots. He's 16 weeks old. I'll research kennel cough and distemper tonight, so I know what I'm talking about when I cal.

Thanks for the heads up.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=53936
[/B][/QUOTE]

dear milo's mommy,

don't worry too much about distemper, i am not sure where you live but it only seems to be a problem in california at this time. milo, by the way, is honestly the cutest puppy ever!!! i really would like to know what happens after you go to the vet. my prayers are with you are your little milo!

your friends,

nousha and tessa

· Registered
43 Posts
Originally posted by milo+Apr 18 2005, 07:06 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-Lani
@Apr 18 2005, 04:45 PM
Have u tried Nutrical? It should help if he's not eating.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=53954
No i've never heard of it.... what is it?
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=54010
[/B][/QUOTE]

I can answer that! Nutri-cal is a high calorie, low volume dietary supplement. Vets tell you to use it if your dog is a picky eater or has low appetite, or as an added source of energy for hunting and working dogs. It looks like toothpaste-- here's a photo:

Hope that helps! :D

· Registered
1,879 Posts
I think the water he is throwing up is from lack of food. I would take him to the vet first thing tomorrow. Just move his appointment up. It's better to be safe than sorry. With puppies, things I can go down hill really quickly. I don't want to scare you but just giving you warning. I also think Nutrical is great! I always have it handy. If not, try honey

If Milo isn't eating, you can always try to mix Gerber baby food into his meal. That always works for my kids.

· Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Here's a little update...

I got Milo to eat tonight by sprinkling a treat over his kibble. He seems to be ok so far, hasn't thrown up. He's even playing. So I'm starting to feel a little more at ease. I'm calling the vet first thing in the morning to try to get him in tomorrow. Maybe he was reacting to the worm meds....? but I'd rather be safe then sorry.

I'm going to look for Nutri-Cal as well, just to be sure he's getting proper nutrition, with the worms and all that's been going on in that little tummy of his. I'll let you know what happens with the vet tomorrow.

· Premium Member
21,119 Posts
Originally posted by MaltTease+Apr 18 2005, 11:28 PM-->
Originally posted by [email protected] 18 2005, 07:06 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-Lani
@Apr 18 2005, 04:45 PM
Have u tried Nutrical? It should help if he's not eating.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=53954

No i've never heard of it.... what is it?
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=54010

[/QUOTE]

I can answer that! Nutri-cal is a high calorie, low volume dietary supplement. Vets tell you to use it if your dog is a picky eater or has low appetite, or as an added source of energy for hunting and working dogs. It looks like toothpaste-- here's a photo:

Hope that helps! :D
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=54017
[/B][/QUOTE]

Good info, MaltTease! Thanks for posting the picture, too. As they say, "A picture is worth a thousand words!"

Milo, do you know about hypoglycemia, its symptoms, causes, etc.? It is a very dangerous condition that can occur in small dogs, usually, though, before 12 weeks of age. Milo is a little older than that but it never hurts to be prepared because it can happen at an age older than 12 weeks, also. Since you have never heard of Nutri-cal it makes me think that perhaps you don't know about hypoglycemia. Here is some info from my breeder that I've posted before.....

Hypoglycemia (Low Blood Sugar)

Hypoglycemia is a central nervous system disorder caused by a low blood sugar. It occurs mainly in Toy breeds between 6 and 12 weeks of age. Extremely tiny dogs can also be susceptible throughout adulthood. Often it is precipitated by stress.

The first signs are those of listlessness and depression. They are followed by muscular weakness, tremors (especially in the facial muscles) and later convulsions, coma and death. The entire sequence is not always seen. The dog may appear to be depressed or may be weak, wobbly, and jerky; or the puppy may be found in a coma.

Hypoglycemia can occur without warning when a puppy is placed in a new home, or while being shipped. It might appear after a puppy misses a meal, chills, becomes exhausted from too much playing or has a digestive upset.These upsets place an added strain on the energy reserves of the liver and can bring on symptoms.

Treatment: Treatment is directed at restoring blood levels of glucose. Begin at once...If the puppy is awake, give "Nutrical", Karo syrup, honey, or sugar water by mouth. You should begin to see improvement in thirty minutes. When unconscious, a puppy will have to be given a dextrose solution intravenously. A veterinarian should be called at once.

Owners of Toy breed puppies should encourage frequent meals, and never overtire them.

Milo, my vet has said to rub Karo syrup on their gums if they are showing signs of hypoglycemia. That will get it in their system the fastest. You may want to ask your own vet about this condition, etc.

I sure hope Milo is all better real soon. Keep us posted.....

· Registered
319 Posts
Sending hugs to milo he is soooooo cute hope he is feeling well soon, let us know how the vet appointment goes...you have gotten some great advise on this thread and nutrical and karo syrup are a must to have on hand, our vet also said the karo gets in the system faster.

· Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
Ok.... I called the vet and he didn't seem to be very concerned. (one more reason to change vets) The best appointment I could get was for tomorrow.

Milo still isn't eating much, so I'm picking up some Nutri-Cal on my way home from the office. I was unaware dogs could have Hypoglycaemia... I'll ask the vet about it.

Not much more to report today other than that. So thank you all very much for your advise and support. It really helps. Milo is our first puppy, so we would have no clue without you.

21 - 40 of 49 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.