Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was talking to a breeder and was just asking question & talking about maltese. Anyway, she said she has a 5 month old that she might decide to place. She said he is not completely lifting his leg all the way but just a little, like 1 inch and he does not mark. Is this a sign of its too late and that the male habits are starting? Or, if you were to get him neutered, that it can stop the leg lifting?

This is not the same topic and i know its been discussed before hundreds of times!
He is 4 1/2 pounds at 5months, is he and will be on the bigger size? Not that theres anything wrong with that!

·
Registered
7,741 Posts
parker lifts his leg but doesnt mark...he just does it instead of squatting...i think he doesnt like to pee on his hair
but he pees all at once and doesnt just pee on everything. so i would think u dont have to worry..unless the dog is putting a little pee on everything in site.

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
Snoopychan--are you wanting a boy, for sure? Are you afraid of the marking? Or do you not like them lifting at all? Mine use to mark until I got him neutered. He doesn't mark anymore. But, all dogs are different.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I prefer a boy but would get a girl as well too... I don't want them to mark and maybe not so much to lift either. But reading the others post, a little tiny lift might be fine too; maybe he didn't want to get himself dirty... :lol:

·
Registered
7,741 Posts
i honestly think thats why parker does it...he is a very prissy boy...he doesnt lisf it high...just out of the way of the stream!

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Originally posted by nataliecmu@Jan 3 2005, 03:49 PM
Just FYI, I have a girl who has been watching her brother a bit too closely and now lifts her little right let while squating. The vet said it was normal...
Also, Tini was about 4.5 at 5 months. She is 5.3 at 6 months.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=27212
[/QUOTE]

Lexi does that sometimes. The first time I was like "what the heck are you doing?!". The ground was wet at the time and I think she didn't want want to get her feet wet.

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Catcher doesn't lift at all... he just stands with his legs spread out like he is standing... Kallie, however, does lift her back leg when she is outside and she marks a zillion places in the grass, etc.

OK... back to the subject at hand... Catcher was 6 pounds at 6 months and has stablized at about 7 and he's 8 months. 4-1/2 at 5 months seems like a nice size... I would say that he won't be tiny but not huge either. Check out his bone structure and you can sort of tell. Kallie has very hefty bones and big features. Catcher is finely boned and has a tiny head, nose, etc. so I know he won't be as big as Kallie (she's 9.5 pounds).

Anyway, if the breeder is near you perhaps she would let you bring the baby home and see how you like him... see if he marks in your home, etc.

Before I got Catcher, an acquainitance was looking for a home for her 6-month-old neutered male Maltese. I thought it was kind of odd that he was already neutered at 6 months. But I brought him to my house to see how Kallie liked him. As soon as we got to my house I took him out to potty, which he did. Then he came in and started marking everything that was vertical! So now I know why he was neutered early... apparently this started when he was 5 months.... Well, anyway, once I saw that, I figured I didn't need to start off with a problem and I took him back home!

·
Registered
6,614 Posts
I would agree that Kodie lifts his leg and squats! Sometimes he just squats. I dunno if Kodie is real worried about peeing on himself because after hes done peeing.. he RUNS so quickly to get away from the pee that he walks right into his pee on his puppy PAD!
Sometimes he gets pee on his paw and sometimes (I guess the pad holds it) he doesnt.

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
If it's just the marking that you're worried about, just neuter at about 5 months. There's still a chance they might mark, but I think the chance of them NOT marking is higher.

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
i've always told people that gruffi lifts his leg and he didnt learn it from anyone......but come to think of it---sprite lifts he leg when she pees. and im glad she does....ellie always steps in it. lol.

i'll hopefully catch her doing it and i'll take a pic!

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
If marking is a concern, you'd be best to stay away from a male, I think. Neutering early can help avoid it, but it is no guarentee. Over my years on many different Maltese forums and Yahoo groups, I have heard a lot of stories of adult male dogs who never marked, suddenly starting at 3 or 4 years of age or older (a couple were 10!), usually when a new dog came into the house. A woman I know who does Yorkie rescue said her adult males learned it from other males she fostered.

Many people swear by belly bands, but not everyone wants to deal with a dog in diapers for it's entire life.

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
Originally posted by LadysMom@Jan 4 2005, 08:37 AM
If marking is a concern, you'd be best to stay away from a male, I think. Neutering early can help avoid it, but it is no guarentee. Over my years on many different Maltese forums and Yahoo groups, I have heard a lot of stories of adult male dogs who never marked, suddenly starting at 3 or 4 years of age or older (a couple were 10!), usually when a new dog came into the house. A woman I know who does Yorkie rescue said her adult males learned it from other males she fostered.

Many people swear by belly bands, but not everyone wants to deal with a dog in diapers for it's entire life.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=27407
[/QUOTE]

However, keep in mind that females can also mark, lift their legs, and are much more likely to suffer from incontinence than males.

·
Registered
7,486 Posts
Our Malt babies are working on potty training (and doing pretty good) so I can't comment on them yet. Our bichon never, ever, ever goes in the house. When we walk around the block she marks about 8 times and some of it is semi leg lifting. She also will stand on the edge of the driveway and get one foot in the grass and lift the other to keep her feet from getting wet. It is TOO funny.

My best friend got a male bichon when we got Jolie. She was absolutely determined that he was never going to lift his leg. The only dog he ever saw was Jolie and she squatted. He was neutured before 6 months but around 7 or 8 months he began lifting his leg outside and he would lift that leg up so high he would nearly tip himself over. He did it gleefully. He doesn't mark inside though. I think that it must be instinct. I'm no expert, but if you someone wants a dog that will squat they probably should just get a female. The breeders all say that a neutured male is more loving to their female masters than a female. I don't know if it is true, because we've always had females but both bichon breeders and maltese breeders told me the same thing.

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Originally posted by msmagnolia@Jan 4 2005, 11:07 PM
He was neutured before 6 months but around 7 or 8 months he began lifting his leg outside and he would lift that leg up so high he would nearly tip himself over.  <div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=27738
[/QUOTE]

I wonder if when outside they smell another dog's marking area and instinctively want to mark on top of it ? ? Catcher squats and only "goes" inside on potty pads and perhaps later he will learn to also go in the back patio area that is fenced.

However, I think maybe he would be more likely to mark if I took him for walks where he could smell other dogs' urine ? ? ?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts