Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
13,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, the meds have kicked in and the peeing started and Missy is breathing almost normally by this afternoon. No coughing since last evening at all and Missy is back to 'exploring' the kitchen floor in hopes of finding a "goodie or two" .
Have had phone consults with her vet today and she is very pleased . She advised me as to if Missy seems to 'fill-up" as to dosing the lasix. She gave a "heavy dose yesterday and I was giving a more conservative dose today but I can give more if need be. she even called again before she went home to 'check-in" . She was pleased with her decision to have Missy to come home with me rather than hospital care.. but I know that is because I can home test Missy's blood levels and do the urinalysis . I have handled so many of Missy's health issues ( with her guidence!!) and I told her I had begun to question my decision to try to work on this one but she said OH NO! Missy is a tough little bugger and if it was 'do-able she'd do it..and she was sure once the lasix kicked in.. she'd get relief.

Missy Blood glucose came back into excellent range by this afternoon also. I even "tested" her this afternoon to see if she truly was more back to "normal".. I asked her if she wanted her green beans and she did her little 'butt-strutt" into the kitchen with tail-wagging and in anticipation of her favorite treat. THAT! made me so happy.
The decisions are sometimes very very hard to call... but I guess I knew Missy's tenacity and I just had to give it a try for a short time.. I didn't want to give up on her. I had thought if by the time I talked with her vet .. if she didn't improve.. we'd let her go.
When our babies are in trouble.. it is very, very scarey and in the moment of crisis.. it is so very hard to think straight and to feel confident in the decisions you make... trying to separate the 'clear-thinking" from the emotional is very difficult.
I thank everyone for their sentiments, prayers, well wishes and support. It is so comforting during such stressful times.
I thank you all from the bottom of my heart!

Terry and my little squirt... Missy

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
WOOO-HOOOOO!

Glad to hear it!!! Prayers and good thoughts coming your way for continued improvement!

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
First of all, I am so glad to hear that she has responded to the medicine... that's wonderful.

Yes, it is so hard to know when to let go. I know I let Rosebud hang on longer than I probably should have... it is just so hard to know "when". There is no need to rush.... when you think it might be time you can always wait a couple days and see how it goes. Gosh, when I read about your getting excited about her doing her normal things such as looking for food on the floor, etc., it really reminds me of how I was with Rosebud....

·
Registered
7,741 Posts
glad she is doing better

·
Registered
13,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Missy is back to her demanding little self today.. you'd not know there was a thing wrong with her.. what a difference a day and some diuretics can make. She ran down to ahll for her "bwekfest" as she always does and when I am taking too long.. the demanding little "yip" startes till i feed her..
AHHHHh I feel like I have my baby back!!
Terry and Missy

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Originally posted by IamMomtoMissy@May 1 2005, 08:28 AM
Missy is back to her demanding little self today.. you'd not know there was a thing wrong with her.. what a difference a day and some diuretics can make. She ran down to ahll for her "bwekfest" as she always does and when I am taking too long.. the demanding little "yip" startes till i feed her..
Terry and Missy
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=58560
[/QUOTE]

I'm so glad to hear this... don't be discouraged if this same sort of thing happens again.... and then another shot and then feeling better..... I used to say that Rosebud was like the Phoenix.....

·
Registered
13,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm so glad to hear this... don't be discouraged if this same sort of thing happens again.... and then another shot and then feeling better..... I used to say that Rosebud was like the Phoenix.....
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=58565
[/QUOTE]

Yes, I realize this is a chronic problem.. and will have to be kept monitored. Other than the initial "loading" dose of the lasix we now are on a pretty conservative dose. Her vet gave instructions as to increase if needed but wanted to keep things conservative to see if it would do the job. With all her meds for her other problems we try to keep medications as conservative as possible to help protect the liver and kidneys) . She is also put on a bronchalator and she has been on enalapril.
We go back on Tuesday ( barring any unforeseen problems) to see how her chest sounds).
They way I look at it each and every day Missy can have with feeling good and enjoying her little pleasures of life is a blessing. If it gets to where the meds can't keep-up.. then we will do what is necessary.
Terry and Missy

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
Originally posted by IamMomtoMissy@May 1 2005, 07:28 AM
Terry and Missy
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=58560
[/QUOTE]
Awww!
WOnderful!!!
Very very good news!
:D

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
This is Awesome News!!!!

·
Registered
13,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks everyone for sharing in my good news.. yes, she is a tenacious little thing!

her vet compared her to the old timex watch slogan..
"She takes a lickin but keeps on tickin"

Tonight she has been fantastic.. quite "full of herself" actually and had greta appetite and just very much acting normal. No coughing at all now since we were at the vets.. breathing nice and calm.. WHEW!!
Terry and Missy

1 - 20 of 25 Posts