Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
13,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well we did have a little 'glitch' this past Thursday and I feared the meds weren't going to "hold' for my girl.. BUT as of Friday she has been her normal , spunky self.

I have had to reduce her insulin back to her "old' dose that she's been on since dx. Bgs are almost in perfect range!
She had been going a bit higher than her norm with a few much higher than I liked. I attributed that to her having problem with her back/leg. Now I wonder if it wasn't the slow build up of the fluid and stressing her...even though it wasn't obvious to us.
She is doing excellent on the 1/2 lasic just 2 x day.. ( haven't needed to up or give at mid day) No coughig at all..breathing very very calm and normal. Sleeps thru the night.. appetite like her normal gluttonous self!
No blood in urine for some time now.. ( but that does come an go so that's likely just in her "good' mode).
Tomorrow she goes for her blood work to check how her kidneys are tolerating the combo of the new meds with the enlalapril she's been on. ( please say a prayer there is no affect on them!) She may get another x-ray of her chest just to see if there is any fluid retention at all. ( this was mentioned on Thursday when she started the cough again) BUT Since she is doing OK now.. vet may feel it isn't necessary... but if it helps to tell a better picture then I'd like to have it but I know they don't like to overdo these things.
So.. that's the latest on the squirt's "saga".. it's nice to have my "brat" back! :D
Missysmom

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
It's good to hear she's doing well!

·
Registered
13,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Missy went to the vet today.. she's pleased with Missy's condition.. checked blood to see how the kidneys were tolerating the meds.. all was just fine!! not even close to showing a problem at this time..
One odd thing.. Missy's insulin requirements seem to be going down since she had been on the meds a feeling good .
She'd been on 3 units 2 x day.. but over last several months .. since her back injury actually, we've more often than not been at the 3 & 1/2 each shot.. ( stress /inflammation/ the way the wind blows
can all affect the glucose levels.
Well each day for the last several I've been seeing her levels come down and down and have cut back on her dose accordingly and late yesterday and today we are below her even 3 units and I found even that is keeping her bgs lowered and have had to snack her up all day to keep from going too low. I'll do 2 and 1/2 tonight an see if that works better.
Her vet said she has never seen a case where the meds would do this.. and though finds it odd.. says to just keep doing what I'm doing and we'll see how it goes.
She was also happy to see we have been able to stick to the just 1/2 tab of the lasix 2 x day with no need of a mid day dose or no need for higher.. all good news!! She didn't feel an X-ray was necessary at this time.
I had to laugh after we were waiting and room was very busy.. Someone made a comment about Missy's "cuteness' and asked how old she was. I said she'll be 11 in Aug. they said she looked like a pup.. lol. Then one of the gals said yeah and this little bugger has about every health issue in the book and look how fiesty she is! .
YUP.. gott say it!! I'm proud of my little girl...
and I am a happy mommy tonight

Missysmom

1 - 17 of 17 Posts