Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I guess Molly is getting her adult hair in because I have never had a problem with her matting before. This one is a real doozy. I have been sick and havent been brushing like I should
Now she has this massive matt, close to her skin. I have tried brushing it out but the brush wont even touch it! Am I gonna have to shave my baby
It is probably the size of a 50cent piece. I'm such a bad mommy
Help!

·
Registered
2,942 Posts
Originally posted by MissMollyMae@Jun 14 2005, 10:08 AM
I guess Molly is getting her adult hair in because I have never had a problem with her matting before. This one is a real doozy. I have been sick and havent been brushing like I should 
Now she has this massive matt, close to her skin. I have tried brushing it out but the brush wont even touch it! Am I gonna have to shave my baby 
It is probably the size of a 50cent piece. I'm such a bad mommy 
Help!
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=72473
[/QUOTE]
Take your scissors, get under the matt and split it into. Then work it with your fingers. If you have to, cut through it again so that you have several smaller matts. Just work a few hairs at a time and all will work out. You may loose a few hiars, but it shouldn't be that much.

·
Registered
4,856 Posts
You're not a bad mommy! I'm sure all of us (or most, anyway) will or have been there.

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
MissMolly,

Don't beat yourself up for being sick
....I was there not too long ago and wound up in the hospital. When I got home poor Teddy was full of matts because he was used to be brushed and combed every day.
What I did was after trying to get them out while still dry, and not being able to I would wet the area and put a bunch of conditioner on it and work it out that way. They did become a bit easier and I made sure that I did not pull from his skin, but held the knot and worked it that way.

But, either way you won't have to shave all of her...if you can't get it then only do the little area where the problem is.

Good luck and let us know how it worked out.

Susan

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the good suggestions! I will try them when I get home, now the only problem I have is getting her to sit still for more than a micro second!

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Originally posted by MissMollyMae@Jun 14 2005, 12:58 PM
Thanks for the good suggestions! I will try them when I get home, now the only problem I have is getting her to sit still for more than a micro second! 

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=72526
[/QUOTE]

Lots and Lots of Cherrios - Keep them coming Mommy

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
I know just how you feel, Indy has just started matting and it is terrible :eek: he scratched himself a lot after we put on the Advantix this month and he is a mess. I have tried to get them out, but I end up cutting out more than I brush out. He will only sit for a short time and then that's it
so I have no choice but to cut instead of comb
I have really been thinking about cutting his hair and hoping his new hair (adult) comes in like his puppy hair was
He never used to get matts. I hope you have better luck than I have as far as getting them out and getting your baby to sit still

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
I'd do the scissors, too. Open them up, slip one blade in at the bottom and pull it through the matt away from the dog. You may have to divide it into 2-3 pieces. Then soak with some conditioner and use the last tooth on a greyhound comb to go hair by hair removing it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts