Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone - My 5 month old baby is getting spayed tomorrow and I was wondering what to expect.

I know not to bathe her for 10-14 days. But how about feeding her or walking her or how long her recuperation might take? I've asked the vet and she said Molly should be better in about 2 days and not to overplay with her.

But you all are true Maltese lovers and I would love to hear of your experiences and what your baby(ies) went through. Tell me how you cared for them and how long it took them to recuperate, etc.

Can you tell I want details?

Thank you all in advance for sharing.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Awww, she'll be fine.

I recommend that you ask for pain meds and make sure she gets pain relief before coming home. Many vets don't offer this, and our babies usually need it.

Other than that, she'll be groggy for a day or two and a little uncomfortable, and then she'll forget that she has stitches and will be back to her playful self--and your hardest task will be to keep her from running up stairs and jumping on couches--or, in our case, stopping Shrek from wrestling with Sylphide :D

We always make sure someone will be home with them at all times for the first couple of days after the spay/neuter, particularly since we have three dogs and don't crate. So they get very spoiled

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
I don't have any girls, but the vet gave me some guidlines for before the neuter. I was to take away all food at 9pm, and water at 12am the night before. The bath part you already know. I was only to let Peanut go for a walk to potty-no playing for a week (good luck to me on that one!). I had to keep him from being too active, running and jumping. He couldn't eat until the day after the surgury, but I fed him some Nutrical when he was walking around looking for his food bowl
With all the drugs in their system, they'll likely get sick if you feed her too soon. Hmm, I would say it took Peanut 2 days to get back to his normal self. I had pain meds for him for 4 days, but I stopped after 3 days. He had the dissolving stitches, so after a week or two there was no trace of the surgury (not sure how spays work though). I set up his exercise pen to keep him from running all over the house for the first few days too.

Oh, kinda weird, but her poo may be runny the first few times she goes after the surgury. Just wanted to give you a heads up on that one

I am getting ready to make the appt for TicTac to get neutered this summer too
They grow up soooo fast

My peanut had a hypoglycemic attack after his dental cleaning and teeth removal in Feb. Thankfully I had learned from SM about this and I had Nutrical on hand to get his blood sugar back up. I'm very paranoid though.

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Originally posted by mmforever@Jun 13 2005, 07:52 PM
Hey everyone - My 5 month old baby is getting spayed tomorrow and I was wondering what to expect. 

I know not to bathe her for 10-14 days.  But how about feeding her or walking her or how long her recuperation might take?  I've asked the vet and she said Molly should be better in about 2 days and not to overplay with her.

But you all are true Maltese lovers and I would love to hear of your experiences and what your baby(ies) went through.  Tell me how you cared for them and how long it took them to recuperate, etc.

Can you tell I want details? 

Thank you all in advance for sharing.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=72288
[/QUOTE]

Hope all goes well for a speedy recovery!!

I just now found the fax I had sent the vet when Kallie was spayed asking him if she could do any of these things and he faxed back "No" beside each of the items on this list except for one item and I can't remember which one it was!!!... So if you don't let her do any of this, you're covered! I'm thinking that maybe standing on hind legs was OK, but check with your vet.

Running around the dining room table very fast many times
Retrieving a ball that is rolling on the carpet
Retrieving a cloth that is thrown
Playing with a stuffed dog about 1/2 her size -throwing it around
Tug of war
Standing on hind legs
Putting cloth in mouth and shaking it around

·
Registered
3,287 Posts
Looks like you've been given all kinds of good advise,so just wanted to say good luck for Molly on her spay.Keep us posted after its done and she's home safe and sound

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
GOOD LUCK! Everyone already posted great advice so I don't have to.

Maybe I have one. When you slowly start to feed her again, it helps if you soften their food with water. It'll be easier for them to eat the first day or 2. TAKE CARE!

·
Registered
4,856 Posts
Hope all goes well as I'm sure it will. If she is having any baby teeth pulled (Paris had 11 pulled) she may not eat her normal food very well. I had to end up feeding Paris baby food for a day or two. Plus, be sure and give her the pain meds. Please keep us posted as to how she is doing when you get her home. (oh yeah, they like lots of hugs and kisses during this time
)

·
Registered
4,856 Posts
How is Molly doing?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts