Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Premium Member
2,479 Posts
When my other breed little dog was having problems due to kidney issues, as he recovered I found he adored Hills ID chicken and vegetable stew. It is actually kind of low in calories (and expensive) but my little guy was really pleased with it. I didn't keep him on it very long, but I switched to a kidney diet with similar ingredients.

You could try a can or two to see if you can tempt her to eat - it certainly tempted my then-skinny dog - but don't plan to keep her on it long terms, due to sneaky low calories. \

Lost my post! Or did I?
In brief, try Hills I/D Chicken and Vegetable Stew. It really tempted my other small breed dog when he started to recover from his kidney issues. It is balanced, apparently more tasty than the solid "pate" form, has a few bits of peas and carrots, something shaped like chunks of burger, and gravy. But it is low in calories compared to other ID and other canned foods, so keep that in mind or she might lose weight while eating what seems like a normal volume of food. I don't think it's meant for long term use.

· Premium Member
2,479 Posts
P.S. I don't want to be toooo alarmist, but in light of my recent experiences, I wonder if such a sudden and lengthy refusal to eat normally could be a sign of something that doesn't show up on blood work. Such as gall bladder problems or very early kidney problems.

· Premium Member
2,479 Posts
There's a prepared food that you add your preferred protein to, the brand is Dr. Harvey's. I've read very good things about it on a dog kidney forum. (The forum .only has one vet that posts occasionally and everyone else is a layperson as far as I can tell.) The food sounds pretty good, but I haven't tried it yet. The people in the group recommend the senior formula for the dogs with kidney issues.

I have tended to buy kibble that is not too hard to find. My Maltese had been on Royal Canin, which is making a more limited number of formulas since the pandemic. The most recent was Adult Yorkshire Terrier, a fairly common-sounding chicken formula with small kibbles. Another small dog is eating Purina Pro Plan Sensitive Skin and Stomach, Salmon and Rice.

· Premium Member
2,479 Posts
That is really good to hear! There are so many different foods on the market, it is great to know of one that sounds good to the owner and meets the approval of the "selective" dog!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts