Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good Afternoon.My name is Pamela and I will be picking up my new baby on Thursday afternoon. She is a 10 week old girl that is absolutely adorable. I have owned large dogs in the past, so this is my first experience with a little one. The breeder has been awesome about letting me come by and play with her and letting her get to know me prior to pickup. I am hoping that this will help her with her transition to her new forever home. I wanted a new baby to love and spoil but being handicapped now, I knew a large breed would not be right for me. So, I researched for months before I settled on Maltese as a good fit. Then it was, find a breeder close by. I lucked out that the breeder is so awesome and is only 45 minutes away from me. I am sooo excited. She is a little spitfire and just so adorable. The first time I came to see the litter (she was only 1 1/2 weeks old), she saw me and scooted over and wouldn't be satisfied until I had picked her up and gave her some love. So, of course, I said yes right away. Since then, she comes running whenever she sees me. My son is with me but she ignores him. LOL

Since this is my first experience with a smaller baby, I am ALL EARS to any advice from you all.

Hoping for a long and fruitful life with all of you,
Thanking you in advance,
Pamela

P.S. I will upload pictures after she comes home.

·
Registered
5,729 Posts
Hi Pamela. Welcome to SM. I bet you can't wait till Thursday gets here! Does she have a name yet?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Pamela. Welcome to SM. I bet you can't wait till Thursday gets here! Does she have a name yet?
I'm thinking of calling her Daisy. My whole family is against the name though. I love Daisy's. They are such a happy flower in my opinion. She is very active, curious and also a snuggle bug. My family thinks a bug type name would be better. Any ideas? I'm open to all suggestions.

·
Registered
5,729 Posts
I'm thinking of calling her Daisy. My whole family is against the name though. I love Daisy's. They are such a happy flower in my opinion. She is very active, curious and also a snuggle bug. My family thinks a bug type name would be better. Any ideas? I'm open to all suggestions.
Daisy is a very cute name. I like it. Once you have her home you could try different names and see what one suits her best. I really like Daisy.

·
Premium Member
829 Posts
Welcome to SM Pamela. I know how excited you are to get your new little fluff. However, can I make a suggestion? Please call the breeder and ask if you can wait to adopt her until she is at least 12 weeks old. Maltese are not like the larger dogs you have owned in the past. Maltese should not be taken away from their mother until AT LEAST 12 weeks old. Many on this site would go as far as to say do not adopt a maltese from any breeder that would even be willing to sell you a pup that is not at least 12 weeks old. Those extra couple weeks spent with their momma are so important in their development and so worth the wait! Just my two cents worth. Hugs

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Welcome to SM Pamela. I know how excited you are to get your new little fluff. However, can I make a suggestion? Please call the breeder and ask if you can wait to adopt her until she is at least 12 weeks old. Maltese are not like the larger dogs you have owned in the past. Maltese should not be taken away from their mother until AT LEAST 12 weeks old. Many on this site would go as far as to say do not adopt a maltese from any breeder that would even be willing to sell you a pup that is not at least 12 weeks old. Those extra couple weeks spent with their momma are so important in their development and so worth the wait! Just my two cents worth. Hugs
That was my understanding from my research. 12 weeks. I got a text today saying she was ready to go. Has all of her shots, final vet check, etc. I was surprised when she told me a couple of weeks ago that I could pick her up at 10 weeks. As she is a breeder and I know I have enough knowledge to be dangerous but not yet knowledgeable, I did not argue with her. Thank you for the advice. I will text her and suggest another two weeks for pickup. I would rather wait and have her ready, than take her too soon and cause trauma for her.

Hugs back at ya with a kiss on the cheek for luck

·
Premium Member
829 Posts
I think that is a very good idea. Your breeder should be happy to grant your request. And maybe even learn something from it.
I am looking forward to seeing a picture of your little fluff after you get her home.
🐶 🐾🌻

·
Registered
60 Posts
Hi Pamela welcome and congratulations on becoming the mommy of a beautiful little Maltese.

I agree with Abella’s mom, I had a Spaniel before Belle came into my life.

The Spaniel that was promised to me died with the mother, the breeder instead of talking to us decided that the date was more important so he gave us a smaller puppy. We only realized that his eyes were still milky and he couldn’t even eat or stand on his own when we got home.

Long story short, it all turned out great and I had the honor of calling him my baby brother for 18 years.

But when I got Belle at 12 weeks old the transition and workload was so much easier. I did not have any difficulty in potty training her and mealtimes were no issues either.

As she was a well rounded pup when she came to me (as she’d spent time with her mommy, siblings, aunts and uncles, etc) she already knew what puppies needed to do.

That made life so much easier for me and all I had to do was win her trust and let her realize that I’m her mommy.

I think Daisy is a lovely name. Please do share photos when you can, would love to see your baby.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Hi Pamela welcome and congratulations on becoming the mommy of a beautiful little Maltese.

I agree with Abella’s mom, I had a Spaniel before Belle came into my life.

The Spaniel that was promised to me died with the mother, the breeder instead of talking to us decided that the date was more important so he gave us a smaller puppy. We only realized that his eyes were still milky and he couldn’t even eat or stand on his own when we got home.

Long story short, it all turned out great and I had the honor of calling him my baby brother for 18 years.

But when I got Belle at 12 weeks old the transition and workload was so much easier. I did not have any difficulty in potty training her and mealtimes were no issues either.

As she was a well rounded pup when she came to me (as she’d spent time with her mommy, siblings, aunts and uncles, etc) she already knew what puppies needed to do.

That made life so much easier for me and all I had to do was win her trust and let her realize that I’m her mommy.

I think Daisy is a lovely name. Please do share photos when you can, would love to see your baby.
One edit: when I said mealtimes were no issues I meant that I did not have to mash up her food and feed her by hand.

We are all constantly learning from our pups and thankfully here on SM there are lots of people from different walks of life with excellent advice.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts