Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All, This topic may have already been discussed but I could not find it so please forgive me if this is a repeat.

I am thinking of getting a new fur baby. I have been a Maltese Mom for 13 years. Our 1st one has passed on and now we have Chloe since this past Sept. My husband and I are considering getting a playmate for Chloe. I have never had more than one fur baby at a time and need to know if two are a real hand full or would it be as wonderful as I imagine it to be? We are both retired and home all day. I also want to know if there is a difference between how a male and female would be versus two females. Any comments from anyone would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Lynda

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
From my experience, yes, it is as wonderful as you imagine!! It is no harder than one, at all. I absolutely love having two... especially two that are so different from each other. Kallie is full of energy and loves to play ball all the time and Catcher loves to cuddle and is very laid back.

I had thought that by having two I would not be so emotionally attached and maybe not as neurotic about their health and well being, etc. Well, now I am just neurotic about two instead of one!!!

Nevertheless, it is so wonderful having two... I never expected it to be this great!

Oh, forgot to answer about male and female.... I think it really depends... I truly think that if I would have gotten a female for my second Malt that Kallie would be more bonded to her than she is to Catcher. Kallie was not used to being around other dogs so she was very intimidated by Catcher and it took a long time for her to be comfortable around him. He struts around here like he is king of the jungle. I think a female might have been more compatible with Kallie. However, for me... I love having a male... he is so bonded to me. I really would like to get a 3rd that would be just for Kallie!

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
From my experience, yes, it is as wonderful as you imagine!! It is no harder than one, at all. I absolutely love having two... especially two that are so different from each other. Kallie is full of energy and loves to play ball all the time and Catcher loves to cuddle and is very laid back.

I had thought that by having two I would not be so emotionally attached and maybe not as neurotic about their health and well being, etc. Well, now I am just neurotic about two instead of one!!!

Nevertheless, it is so wonderful having two... I never expected it to be this great![/B]

I second what K/C said!

·
Registered
7,486 Posts
Ditto for me. I actually think that having 2 might even be easier because the two play together and aren't as needy. I have never had two dogs at the same time. I don't think I would ever have a maltese without having a second one. I have two girls. It so happens that they are littermates though I got them about 3 months apart. I have no experience with males so don't feel like I am able to comment on that. I haven't had any problems with 2 girls and they are devoted to each other, but they also want to be with me all the time.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Hi Lynda,
I go through these pangs
all the time. I am glad you started the thread as I love hearing what people who have two have to say. Like you, I want to do what is best for the fur-baby I already have.

~Carole and Divine Bella~

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Ditto for me. I actually think that having 2 might even be easier because the two play together and aren't as needy. I have never had two dogs at the same time. I don't think I would ever have a maltese without having a second one. I have two girls. It so happens that they are littermates though I got them about 3 months apart. I have no experience with males so don't feel like I am able to comment on that. I haven't had any problems with 2 girls and they are devoted to each other, but they also want to be with me all the time.[/B]
I agree. This is my first time having 2 dogs and I love it. They love playing with each other.

·
Premium Member
5,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for your replies everyone. I have another question. Right now we take Chloe everplace that we go, including places we shouldn't for example the grocery store. I put her in her carrier and no one knows she is there. With two do you find that you cannot take them everywhere like that?

Lynda

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Thanks for your replies everyone. I have another question. Right now we take Chloe everplace that we go, including places we shouldn't for example the grocery store. I put her in her carrier and no one knows she is there. With two do you find that you cannot take them everywhere like that?

Lynda[/B]
What you mention is the only downside to having two. If both you and your husband go, you would probably each need a carrier .... or if they are smaller malts they could possibly fit in one. Or you might feel more comfortable leaving them home, if there were two. I do think if I had one, I would take her more places....

·
Premium Member
5,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
We have the chance to purchase a puppy from a very good breeder. She is a girl, 16weeks old. However, the breeder said she has one eye that is missing 2/3 of the black rim. Is it possible for this to still come in? Has anyone had this experience?

Lynda

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
I agree with all the posts. Sugar and Chloe playing together is so fun to watch. I took Sugar everywhere when it was just her. I was worried about taking two everywhere also. As it turns out, Chloe doesn't really enjoy riding and going everywhere like Sugar does. So, I take Sugar sometimes with me and leave Chloe at home to play with my sheltie. She is just fine with that and Sugar likes the special time with just her. When we get back home it is always a huge reunion with lots of jumping and licking.

Now that I have my foster, Kirby, I leave Chloe to play with him. Never will I just have one again. The more, the merrier in my case!

I also now have 2 eight month old bichons and a 4.9 lb. white poodle that I am fostering. With 6 white dogs in my backyard, it looks like it has snowed!!

Attachments

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
We have the chance to purchase a puppy from a very good breeder. She is a girl, 16weeks old. However, the breeder said she has one eye that is missing 2/3 of the black rim. Is it possible for this to still come in? Has anyone had this experience?

Lynda[/B]
Unless you are planning to show her, I'd jump on this little girl before someone else does if you are satisfied with the breeder. Sometimes a slightly older puppy or one with so-called "flaws" may be a little less expensive, and you will still be getting a well bred puppy from a great breeder which is the #1 most important thing.

·
Registered
776 Posts
Jacks got that 1/3 pink rim on one eye, and he was a STEAL for such a well bred dog... I highly recommend minor flaws like this one

SEE HOW CUTIE HE IS??

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
LINDA,

While you're deciding on the Sex, please check out Pashes Maltese. They have a boy and a girl ready in January!

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Jacks got that 1/3 pink rim on one eye, and he was a STEAL for such a well bred dog... I highly recommend minor flaws like this one

SEE HOW CUTIE HE IS??[/B]
Yep, he's cute all right!!!!

·
Premium Member
5,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

SEE HOW CUTIE HE IS??[/B]
Yep, he's cute all right!!!!

[/B]
I ditto that

Well, we are about to become a two Malt family. We decided to get the baby girl. I get butterflies in my stomach evertime I think about it. I had not planned to get one this soon after getting Chloe and I know nothing about being a 2 Malt Mom but I am sure these little angels will teach me hehehe.

We will be getting her on Fri night.

We told Chloe we are getting her a big surprise for Christmas. Won't she be thrilled

Lynda

·
Registered
7,486 Posts
How exciting!!!!! Are you getting your new baby from Chloe's breeder?

I hope that you'll be real happy with the 16 week old. The pup should have matured enough that it'll hold its own with Chloe and could be sleeping through the night without having to go potty. Sadie was 14 weeks when she came and Sassy was just under 6 months when we got her. The older the pup, the easier to deal with issues like potty, eating, etc. IMHO.

It'll be a happy holiday at your house! Names?????

·
Premium Member
5,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
How exciting!!!!! Are you getting your new baby from Chloe's breeder?

I hope that you'll be real happy with the 16 week old. The pup should have matured enough that it'll hold its own with Chloe and could be sleeping through the night without having to go potty. Sadie was 14 weeks when she came and Sassy was just under 6 months when we got her. The older the pup, the easier to deal with issues like potty, eating, etc. IMHO.

It'll be a happy holiday at your house! Names?????[/B]
We are not getting her from the same breeder, Linda Nelson of Ballet Blanc, but it was through Linda that we were offered this baby. She comes from Malta Angel. Linda, our breeder is very good friends with Sheila Riley and that is our new babies breeder. Linda called me and told me about her and asked if I would be interested. I wasn't prepared but the more I thought about it I know I would always kick myself if I passed it up. The new fur baby is being flown in from Ca. on a direct flight on Fri. Linda Nelson is picking her up at the airport in NJ and bringing her to Ct. We will meet Linda in Ct. Linda Nelson is a super fantastic breeder and an even nicer person.

Haven't picked out any names yet. I hope it will be a happy holiday and I know it will be a hectic one.

Lynda

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Lynda, How exciting for you .... Well, there are lots of names that might work.. since you said it would be a "Happy Holiday" you could name her Holli, Holi, or "Happy Holi"... or Merry or Christa or Merry Christa ... or Noel or...... oh, I better stop now... anyway... CONGRATULATIONS!!!!

1 - 20 of 54 Posts