Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
736 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My parents pug (whom I grew up with and just finished babysitting whilst they were overseas) has been in ICU at Sydney uni vet since Tuesday after eating a moldy (3 week+ old) sandwich (including the bag).

She started having tremors/seizures approximately 2 hrs after eating the sandwich and was raced to the vet (normal vet) by my sister who luckily wasn't back at uni yet. She had her stomach 'pumped', was placed on an IV and had anti-seizure meds + Valium. Was still seizing well into Tuesday night. Was transferred to Sydney Uni vet on Tuesday evening as required constant night care. During the night she vomited into her incubation tube which resulted in her getting bile/acid in her lungs. She now has aspiration pneumonia.

We were told on Tuesday night that it was unlikely she would survive and to prepare ourselves. :cry:

Miraculously and due to the dedicated care of the vets and nurses at Sydney Uni she has turned around - she stopped seizing on Tuesday morning and although she has pneumonia it is only in one lung and this is serious but not as serious as the seizing. On Tuesday evening she seemed to be improving but had still not 'woken up' despite being off meds since 9 am Tuesday morning.

Today we got the fantastic news that she is awake, eating food (just like a pug) and even thinking about moving around. It's looking like she might even be allowed home this evening (we were thinking she might be in ICU for another 3-4 days). The pneumonia hasn't worsened and seems to be getting better! :thumbsup: Only worry is that she doesn't want to get up and walk around - but given she has a sore back/arthritis and is likely very stiff from lying in one place since Tuesday this isn't surprising to me - however she only goes home if the vet is satisfied that she is ready/mobile tonight.

I just wanted to share the story - if your dog eats a moldy sandwich take them to the vet - mold is EXTREMELY toxic and has neurotoxins (hence the seizing).

The whole family is very very glad that the beloved pug should make a full recovery - thanks largely to my younger sister whom raced Nu-Nu (the pug) to the vet when she started seizing and the actions of our vets at both Bondi Junction and Sydney Uni!

For a 12 year old pug to get through this is fantastic :thumbsup: Just got the good news about 20 mins ago! We aren't out of the danger zone completely BUT its definitely an improvement from Tuesday!

·
Registered
744 Posts
WOW!! That's scary!! And 12!? that's AMAZING! Glad everything went ok. And tell them to never keep sandwiches around LOL

·
Premium Member
736 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My brother took it out of his school bag before going to school (first day back after school holidays).

She seems to have developed ataxia (wobbly legs) and is unable to walk properly. We are hoping that this improves - vet seems hopefull.

Her pneumonia seems much improved and she seems to be suffering no further side effects (so far).

She is still in icu.

·
Premium Member
13,418 Posts
wow, what a nightmare! and then to be told such good news, I'm really happy she's doing so well. Get well soon Nu Nu.

·
Premium Member
20,031 Posts
Holy cow! I sure hope she recovers completely.....sounds like she's either one strong little doggie or maybe she's lucky like a cat, and has 9 lives!!

·
Premium Member
8,623 Posts
How scary for you and your family and poor Nu-Nu. It sounds to me like a miracle for that lucky girl. I hope she continues to improve and she is 100% in no time.
Keep us posted.
Hugs and prayers!
:grouphug:

·
Registered
5,653 Posts
thats soo scary i will definitely be praying that nu nu recovers soon and fully , poor pug :(

·
Premium Member
24,174 Posts
wow what a scarey few days, I'm glad she's doing better, NuNu you need to go home and get loved on. Was it the sandwich or the bag that caused the problem?

·
Registered
308 Posts
What a great ending to a scary story.. I was on pins and needles reading it...I am so glad there was a happy ending and NuNu is going to recover.. I never knew that about mold..Thanks for sharing..

·
Premium Member
736 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thank you for the positive wishes/thoughts - Nu-Nu is coming home today (yay) although she is still suffering from ataxia (wobbly back legs) and coughing (pneumonia). She will be very happy to be home with her doggy buddy and family!

We are hopeful that she will make a full recovery with no lasting side effects - though there is a worry that she may not regain full mobility as currently she is walking like she is very drunk (her back legs are the affected ones).

It is the mould that poses the problem (although the bag wasn't a great idea to eat) - the mould contains neurotoxins which caused the seizures. Luckily (knock wood) she hasn't had a seizure since Wednesday morning.

I wanted to post because I didn't think everyone would be aware of the dangers that mould pose to pets (and humans) - it is very dangerous!

·
Registered
6,958 Posts
Oh Kylie! How scary!! I'm so glad she is on the mend! I remember the day I met little Nu-Nu, and she took exception to Dakota! LOL

Although mine haven't been there in an emergency, both have been to Syd Uni and I was impresed both times, they are really great there!

Thanks for the heads up on the mould ... I would never have even thought about it!

Hugs to you & Nu-Nu, and sweet little loony Luna of course!

·
Premium Member
736 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
hehe Jaqui I remember that too! Nu-Nu is getting grumpy in her old age but she generally is fine (she probably thought Dakota was Luna- she always tells Luna off).

We are all very glad about Nu-Nu recovering! She seems even better after the weekend!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts