Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
755 Posts
So which vaccines you don't need to get? I'm confused...

Princess is due for the DHPP and Rabies next week.

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
Originally posted by Lani@Sep 16 2005, 06:45 AM
So which vaccines you don't need to get? I'm confused...

Princess is due for the DHPP and Rabies next week.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=100123
[/QUOTE]
I had a titer done on my 6 year old sheltie this past year and she still had immunity to the core vaccine. I plan on doing the titer with Sugar this year also.

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Interesting.

Could someone tell me more about Titer test? Would you have them done once a year at the yearly exam? How much do they usually cost? What do they show? Are there different types of Titer tests?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
13,652 Posts
I think now the rabies vaccine has been proven to last at least 3 years unless your animal is bitten by another rabid animal, then a precautionary vaccination may be given.
I have read many articles regarding vaccinations and they are now saying once your dog or cat has had the initial vaccinations and the final booster at 15 months they may never need to be revaccinated again for the common ailments ie. Distemper, Parvo and Hepititis.
Of course the rabies vaccination is different as the laws say you must keep them up but instead of every year now it is every 3 years after the second one.
Correct me if I am wrong here, but that is how I read the article.

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Originally posted by Scoobydoo@Sep 16 2005, 09:24 AM
I think now the rabies vaccine has been proven to last at least 3 years unless your animal is bitten by another rabid animal, then a precautionary vaccination may be given.
I have read many articles regarding vaccinations and they are now saying once your dog or cat has had the initial vaccinations and the final booster at 15 months they may never need to be revaccinated again for the common ailments ie. Distemper, Parvo and Hepititis.
Of course the rabies vaccination is different as the laws say you must keep them up but instead of every year now it is every 3 years after the second one.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=100178
[/QUOTE]
In Iowa there are some counties that are every 3 but most are still every 2. Unfortunately mine is every 2 years. They are trying to get it changed to every 3 though.

·
Premium Member
13,652 Posts
Yes and do you know there are vets out there that insist on vaccinatoin boosters every year, some simply because the feel that people will forget to have their pets checked annually for health etc. and some who refuse to forego the income generated by annual vaccinations. I would bet now that it is becoming general knowledge that the necessity of yearly shots is declining some vet out there will be increasing the cost to the customer to cover their loss of income. I am not saying they all will do this and I know my vet won't be like that, she is a genuine animal lover and is always open to anything I suggest, but there are some unscrupulous people out there who just like to make the dollar.

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
Scooby, you hit the nail on the head. Read this chillingly cut and dry fiscal advice to vets as to how to handle the loss of income from vaccines. I always heard that yearly vaccines were a big source of income for vets and that's the reason why they insisted on sticking to the annual booster protocol despite evidence that not only wasn't it necessary, but it could be risky to an animal's health.

http://www.dvmnewsmagazine.com/dvm/article...=61694&pageID=1

·
Premium Member
13,652 Posts
Originally posted by LadysMom@Sep 16 2005, 11:08 AM
Scooby, you hit the nail on the head. Read this chillingly cut and dry fiscal advice to vets as to how to handle the loss of income from vaccines. I always heard that yearly vaccines were a big source of income for vets and that's the reason why they insisted on sticking to the annual booster protocol despite evidence that not only wasn't it necessary, but it could be risky to an animal's health.

http://www.dvmnewsmagazine.com/dvm/article...=61694&pageID=1
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=100219
[/QUOTE]

Yep, I can see it coming in that once pet owners become more aware of the situation vets all over the world will indeed be increasing fees to cover their huge losses on the vaccination income.
We have had animals all our lives in our family and we have never continued to vaccinate our dogs and cats after the first year and half of bosters etc. and I am happy to say not ever did one of those animals get sick from any of the diseases, as a matter of fact we had a lovely old dog who lived to be 18 years old and she only had her shots for the first year then no others to follow, she never had a sick day in her life and I often wonder if over vaccination is the cause of a lot of other internal break downs in our pets. I mean just think about it, the only winners here are the vets who get to treat these poor animals who probably would not have had these problems had they not been unnecessarily filled with serums they didn't really need. Just MHO

·
Registered
17,045 Posts
Originally posted by Lexi's Mom@Sep 16 2005, 09:56 AM
Interesting.

Could someone tell me more about Titer test?  Would you have them done once a year at the yearly exam?  How much do they usually cost?  What do they show?  Are there different types of Titer tests?

Thanks!
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=100163
[/QUOTE]

A titer test is a blood test that can be done to check for certain antibodies against disease. Unfortunately the vet has to do separate tests for the DHPP and the rabies. The costs of the titers are much more expensive than the shots and therefore many people just go on with the vaccine instead of the titer. Ex: to titer for DHPP and rabies you would probably spend $100

I forgot to say that these tests would be done annually before any vaccine is given. If your titer comes back that the pet still has antibodies against the disease then you don't have to vaccinate. However, if the numbers come in low then you still have to vaccinate and also pay for the vaccination.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Originally posted by Lexi's Mom+Sep 16 2005, 07:30 AM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-Scoobydoo
@Sep 16 2005, 09:24 AM
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=100178
In Iowa there are some counties that are every 3 but most are still every 2. Unfortunately mine is every 2 years. They are trying to get it changed to every 3 though.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=100183
[/B][/QUOTE]

Miko's rabies shot lasts for 3 years. I forgot all about it but we are going to fly in a week and American Airlines requires proof of rabies vaccine. I called the vet office and the one he received when he was 2 yrs old will last till he is 5!!

·
Premium Member
13,652 Posts
Yes Scooby's last one is a 3 year one too and the city will send a new disc each year for three years. I am glad he doesn't have to have them every year even though he has had no side effects from any of his shots.

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Originally posted by Sassy's mommy+Sep 16 2005, 09:48 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-Lexi's Mom
@Sep 16 2005, 09:56 AM
Interesting.

Could someone tell me more about Titer test?  Would you have them done once a year at the yearly exam?  How much do they usually cost?  What do they show?  Are there different types of Titer tests?

Thanks!

A titer test is a blood test that can be done to check for certain antibodies against disease. Unfortunately the vet has to do separate tests for the DHPP and the rabies. The costs of the titers are much more expensive than the shots and therefore many people just go on with the vaccine instead of the titer. Ex: to titer for DHPP and rabies you would probably spend $100

I forgot to say that these tests would be done annually before any vaccine is given. If your titer comes back that the pet still has antibodies against the disease then you don't have to vaccinate. However, if the numbers come in low then you still have to vaccinate and also pay for the vaccination.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=100445
[/B][/QUOTE]

Before getting a titer on rabies make sure your state recognizes titers. My state requires rabies vaccine every three years no matter if the titer shows antibodies or not, so there is no need to spend the money on the titer.

·
Registered
6,614 Posts
Originally posted by Kallie/Catcher's Mom+Sep 16 2005, 10:05 PM-->
Originally posted by Sassy's [email protected] 16 2005, 09:48 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-Lexi's Mom
@Sep 16 2005, 09:56 AM
Interesting.

Thanks!

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=100445

[/QUOTE]

Before getting a titer on rabies make sure your state recognizes titers. My state requires rabies vaccine every three years no matter if the titer shows antibodies or not, so there is no need to spend the money on the titer.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=100450
[/B][/QUOTE]
Where can you look for that type of information?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts