Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
754 Posts
I use fleece-lined Muttluks in the winter whenever it's really snowy and cold or for walking down the road to keep salt chunks from getting stuck in their paws and injuring them. They're great for these purposes. I don't know that I'd use them every day though.

My girls are outdoor trained so I mostly use them for that. Without Muttluks, when it's well below freezing and there's lots of ice or snow they'll take a few steps outside then hold one or two paws up in the air and won't move. With Muttluks, that kind of thing never happens and they're quite content bouncing around out there, even in deep snow (with something to protect their bellies).

Overall the quality of the boots is very good imo. Materials are great. Workmanship seems good even though one of my 8 booties lost a thread in the first year or so. All other boots and the rest of that boot are in great condition after 3 years and I haven't bothered replacing it as it still functions okay--I just have to twist the velcro upside down. They probably would have replaced it, but I couldn't be bothered for something so minor.

As for fit, the sleeves go high up the legs of little dogs (at least when I bought them about 3 years ago), but you can always fold them down. I like them high personally. The first few times you put them on it might seem rough, but once you get the hang of it, it's really fast and easy. I just flip the sleeve down over the boot right down to the seam, then slip the foot right in and grab the boot making sure the toes are at the tip and then flip the sleeve back up and fix the velcro. Pulling them on like a sock doesn't work too well and can snag on toes and dewclaws.

They were the first boots I got and I haven't bought anymore since they do the job well. :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
6,469 Posts
I hated them! I thought that they were very difficult to get on. The part where the sock connects to the shoe itself was so tiny I felt like I was pushing Hunter's foot through but the shoe itself was the right size. I had them send me a second pair (thinking it was a defective pair) and the same thing - his dew claws kept getting caught on that rough seam. Now we use a cheap pair from Petsmart without any problems (and they were much cheaper!).

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
I tried a few different kinds with my first dog and he acted like he was wearing cement books and refused to move, never mind walk. We don't go for many walks in the winter because my street does not have sidewalks and it just becomes too narrow with both sides of the street lined with snowbanks. They do play in their dog yard though. During those deep freeze days of January I started spreading hay on the snow/ice to keep all the little paws from freezing.

·
Premium Member
20,031 Posts
Sorry....I never tried anything on my kids feet...I'm a bad mommy and make them walk around bare footed!! :blush::w00t:

·
Banned
1,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you for your replies -

Mary, that's a great idea - salt marsh hay for the lawn (I did have part of my fluffs play area enclosed, when raining and/or snowing, I will mention the hay to my friends with fluffs.

The "booties" are/were for a friend who thought she might like them (she's 82, her name is Bea, and her pooch is a six years old Bichon, his name is snowy). When I visit her next week, I'll let her know that the reviews were - not-so-good.

Thanks so much,

Allie

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
I use fleece-lined Muttluks in the winter whenever it's really snowy and cold or for walking down the road to keep salt chunks from getting stuck in their paws and injuring them. They're great for these purposes. I don't know that I'd use them every day though.

My girls are outdoor trained so I mostly use them for that. Without Muttluks, when it's well below freezing and there's lots of ice or snow they'll take a few steps outside then hold one or two paws up in the air and won't move. With Muttluks, that kind of thing never happens and they're quite content bouncing around out there, even in deep snow (with something to protect their bellies).

Overall the quality of the boots is very good imo. Materials are great. Workmanship seems good even though one of my 8 booties lost a thread in the first year or so. All other boots and the rest of that boot are in great condition after 3 years and I haven't bothered replacing it as it still functions okay--I just have to twist the velcro upside down. They probably would have replaced it, but I couldn't be bothered for something so minor.

As for fit, the sleeves go high up the legs of little dogs (at least when I bought them about 3 years ago), but you can always fold them down. I like them high personally. The first few times you put them on it might seem rough, but once you get the hang of it, it's really fast and easy. I just flip the sleeve down over the boot right down to the seam, then slip the foot right in and grab the boot making sure the toes are at the tip and then flip the sleeve back up and fix the velcro. Pulling them on like a sock doesn't work too well and can snag on toes and dewclaws.

They were the first boots I got and I haven't bought anymore since they do the job well. :thumbsup:
What size did you get your babies?

What a cooinceddence I was looking up Muttluks a few hours ago.
I saw an x small pair in the store, but I know that would be too big.
I looked online and I think XXS would match up with a Malt's foot.
Is that what you have?
XXXS is for Chis it said.

I was looking into the XXSMALL Fleece Lined Muttluk in Pink
but wasn't sure on sizing.

·
Registered
754 Posts
Sorry, I have trouble keeping up with everything on SM sometimes!

I have different sizes for my two. Tiff's a lot larger than Zora, as are her paws. Zora has the Itty Bitty size that's recommended for chi's on their sizing chart here: http://www.muttluks.com/pdf/Paw_Sizing_Chart.pdf (You can print out that sheet to help with sizing.)

And Tiff has the size up... the XXS. Once you print out that sizing sheet, you should be able to figure out the right size. :)

What size did you get your babies?

What a cooinceddence I was looking up Muttluks a few hours ago.
I saw an x small pair in the store, but I know that would be too big.
I looked online and I think XXS would match up with a Malt's foot.
Is that what you have?
XXXS is for Chis it said.

I was looking into the XXSMALL Fleece Lined Muttluk in Pink
but wasn't sure on sizing.

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
Sorry, I have trouble keeping up with everything on SM sometimes!

I have different sizes for my two. Tiff's a lot larger than Zora, as are her paws. Zora has the Itty Bitty size that's recommended for chi's on their sizing chart here: http://www.muttluks.com/pdf/Paw_Sizing_Chart.pdf (You can print out that sheet to help with sizing.)

And Tiff has the size up... the XXS. Once you print out that sizing sheet, you should be able to figure out the right size. :)
Thank you so much for the sizing advice for the Muttluks. :)
It sounds like my guesstimate was right on:
the XXS sounds like it is the right match.
I want to walk my girls in the colder weather (when safe) and boots would be wonderful. To keep off the salt and keep 'em warm!
I know I could have PM'ed you, but I figured others might want to know about sizing. :) Thank U!
We Canucks need to stick together to beat the cold! ;)

·
Premium Member
17,470 Posts
:smtease:
Sounds like an 82-year-old would really have a hard time getting them on too.
:HistericalSmiley::HistericalSmiley:

did you mean the lady or the dog?:smrofl::smrofl:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts