Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd like some advice on what you guys do to prevent your maltese from eating everything they find on the floor? I have a 4 month Maltese boy and he eats everything he finds! I can't even walk him right because all he does is hop like a bunny and find something on the floor to eat. I am scared he will find something 1 day he isn't supposed to eat and get sick! I watch him all the time but I don't always be around him. I just need some advice on what methods people have used and have worked. I was looking into muzzles? They have some that stops them from eating things off the floor while allowing them to pant and drink water still. Suggestions?

·
Super Moderator
Walter & Casper with Lucky (forever in my heart).
10,028 Posts
You should look into a positive reinforcement dog training. I could not imagine muzzling a maltese, especially a pup, then leaving the pup muzzled for hours. Honestly that would be cruel. The pup is only doing what is natural, exploring, and needs to learn what can be touched and what can't.

You might be able to get an playpen, and put the pup in the pen next to you when you can't keep an eye on them. Pull the pup up on your chair while watching TV, etc.

Good luck.

Reactions: maddysmom

·
Super Moderator
10,313 Posts
Walter is absolutely correct - it would be inhumane to muzzle a puppy for doing what comes naturally. Provide a safe environment. Pick up anything you drop. Open meds over a sink to catch them if you drop one. Get an exercise pen or play pen to safely limit your puppy's wandering and provide safe chewies - toys from Westpaw are a great option.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts