Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My boy Puff is 9 months old and before yesterday he was trained to perfection on his fake grass pee pad. He's never had an accident since we brought him home from the breeder. Since yesterday, all of sudden, he started peeing in the house and it happened again today. It's happened 4 times now. One of the time I think he was just "marking" instead of peeing (since he has just peed a few seconds ago so I don't think he actually needed to relieve himself)

He hasn't gotten neutered yet because of the covid 19 situation. It probably won't be until end of June.

He is my first puppy so I have no prior experience with raising a dog. Does anyone have any similar experience or have any ideas why he started peeing around the house all of sudden?
I researched online and found neutering seems to help with this behavior, does you find that be to true?

Any ideas would be really appreciated!

·
Registered
5,665 Posts
You also might want to check with your vet about submitting a urine sample to rule out a urinary tract infection.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You also might want to check with your vet about submitting a urine sample to rule out a urinary tract infection.
Thank you for the response! That was my first concern as well but so far he doesn't have any of the symptoms of a UTI so I'm thinking it's more behavioral related.

·
Premium Member
20,009 Posts
That could be a sign of a UTI in dogs. As for marking, I have a 4 year old female who marks everywhere all day long!! She's a little girl and I haven't found a pair of comfortable panties that she could wear all day long. But if your boy is marking, you can use a belly band....I used to put them on my boys when we visited friends (just in case).

·
Registered
4,057 Posts
It's called hormones :D When my standard poodle boy was about 8 mos. he suddenly started marking in the house after a neighbor's male dog came over to visit. Because I wasn't planning on having him neutered until he was physically mature (1.5-2 years), I had to keep him "crated" in certain parts of the house and put a belly band on him when I couldn't watch him free roaming in the house. It was such a pain! After I had him neutered, the marking stopped immediately. Since your little dog is old enough to neuter, I would go ahead and do it now. Some people say marking is a matter of training, but I say it's a matter of neutering.

·
Registered
33 Posts
My boy Puff is 9 months old and before yesterday he was trained to perfection on his fake grass pee pad. He's never had an accident since we brought him home from the breeder. Since yesterday, all of sudden, he started peeing in the house and it happened again today. It's happened 4 times now. One of the time I think he was just "marking" instead of peeing (since he has just peed a few seconds ago so I don't think he actually needed to relieve himself)

He hasn't gotten neutered yet because of the covid 19 situation. It probably won't be until end of June.

He is my first puppy so I have no prior experience with raising a dog. Does anyone have any similar experience or have any ideas why he started peeing around the house all of sudden?
I researched online and found neutering seems to help with this behavior, does you find that be to true?

Any ideas would be really appreciated!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Hi, I have a 13 year old Boy neutered Maltese, well not sure if you have any other pets , I do. My Cody is trained on wee wee pads perfectly too and even will go on command BUT.. since I have had him since 4 weeks old he pees in other certain places it’s really marking and sometimes he’ll try to pee and the tiniest pee will be there. It’s all about this is mine. I learned to buy smaller wee wee pads and put them in those places so I don’t have to clean it up. I really don’t mind cause his pee is sooo tiny. If I tell him go on the pad he’ll walk there and pee there. My suggestion buy some small wee wee pads and place them there, usually they go back to the exact spot they previously marked. I can never get mad at him for peeing cause to me when dogs pee it’s like gold cause the insides are working!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts