Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got Augie about 1 1/2 yrs ago (he is 7) after he was rescued from living his entire life in a puppy mill. So I watch him like a hawk since I know he wasn't raised with care and love

I came home yesterday and he was panting a bit, breathing from his mouth, which has stopped today. Last night he got barely any sleep and he usually sleeps all night long without moving. He was up every hour from midnight on just pacing. I came home tonight and the panting is done, but his nose is warm and dry and he is breathing through his nose as if its stuffed up. He has always had an issue with his nose like that, but its always after he drinks water, as if water gets in his nose yet for 2 hrs since I got home he has been doing that every 5 min or so.

I started sleeping with the fan on Sunday night and this started Monday so I was thinking maybe he got sick from the fan blowing on him. What do you guys think? Should I give it a day or 2. I would hate to take him to the vet just to be told he has a cold or something.

advice? ideas?

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
I always go to the vet when I'm unsure, but I'm a nervous nellie.

HUGz! Jules

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
Definitely take him to the vet. If he has a respiratory infection, he'll need antibiotics.

At 7, Augie is officially a senior. At that age it's very important to get anything "off" checked out asap, especially considering his puppymill background. Catching things early is the main reason my Lady is still going strong at age 14.5.

·
Registered
13,097 Posts
I agree that a vet visit is necessary. While checking this out it would be a good time, given his age, in my opinion, to have a good overall check up : full blood panel done/ fecal test/urinalysis. These can reveal what's going on 'behind the scenes' and nip problems, if any, in the bud.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks all. He did have his full check in September of last year and he was fine. He still has a warm nose tonight and is following me around everywhere. He just wants to be with me so close which is odd. He always has to be in the same room with me but doesn't go everywhere like tonight. I can't even go to the bathroom without him going with me. lol

I am going to call the vet and get him in there in the morning. Will keep yu posted. Thanks

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just got back from the vet. The vet believes that it is a sinus infection. He checked out his nose and teeth and was glad that one of his teeth wasn't going up into the nasal cavity. Yay.

so he is on antibiotics and said that he should be fine in 3 days. I will let ya all know.

Thank you for the thoughts and prayers and the advice :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts