Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. I wanted to let everyone know that my Mitzi is having or had her first heat!!!! I am not that shocked because i read on her that they can get their first heat young, and boy is Mit young. Shes almost going to be 5 mo on May 11.
The other day i noticed a stain on her bed and it looked like blood, dried blood so i say hmm but said who bled i saw both of them normal the thought just didnt come to me that it was from her vulva
. Until now that i was cutting the hair from her vulva and i looked around at it and noticed dry blood on there and her little chonch is swollen
, just a little bit tho, but poor baby. I guess it must have been alittle. So guys if theres anything else i need to know please let me know. THanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Well I have never had a girl dog so I really dont know anything about this but thats the youngest I have ever heard of a dog going into heat (not that thats a bad thing or anything just a comment). You proubly want to call your vet office and schedual a spay for as soon as possilbe if you havnt already.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Originally posted by Lilly521@Apr 25 2005, 05:38 PM
Well I have never had a girl dog so I really dont know anything about this but thats the youngest I have ever heard of a dog going into heat (not that thats a bad thing or anything just a comment).  You proubly want to call your vet office and schedual a spay for as soon as possilbe if you havnt already.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=56602
[/QUOTE]

Isnt she too young to get spayed ?? I thought like 6-8 mo was a good time.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Originally posted by maltlover+Apr 25 2005, 08:39 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-Lilly521
@Apr 25 2005, 05:38 PM
Well I have never had a girl dog so I really dont know anything about this but thats the youngest I have ever heard of a dog going into heat (not that thats a bad thing or anything just a comment).  You proubly want to call your vet office and schedual a spay for as soon as possilbe if you havnt already.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=56602
Isnt she too young to get spayed ??
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=56603
[/B][/QUOTE]

Normally yeah but I think you want to get it done as soon as possible becuase as time goes by she have greater of getting breast cancer and other stuff (someone else on here will know the whole list of things but like i said never have had a girl dog) I dont know exactly how big Mitzi is and if she is really little your vet prouble wont operate on her yet, but still you should proubly contact your vet and see how soon you can safely get it done. I had a dog once that get neutered at like 8 weeks, he was a much larger breed and it was done becuase he was a rescue and they alwasy neuter rescuse but just giving and example that its not unheard of the have a dog spayed or neutered very young.......Dont take anything I say to seriously though unlike some people on here I have no medical (people or animal) training whatsoever.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes you are right, when you adopt a pet from the pound they get fixed b4 they go home. My Mit weighs about 3 lbs. Thank you so much for your advice, i will definatly be asking the vet tomorow, i have read about cancers and all that stuff too, do you know like when is her next heat ?? I mean like every how often do they get it ?? THanks again

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Originally posted by maltlover@Apr 25 2005, 08:54 PM
Yes you are right, when you adopt a pet from the pound they get fixed b4 they go home. My Mit weighs about 3 lbs. Thank you so much for your advice, i will definatly be asking the vet tomorow, i have read about cancers and all that stuff too, do you know like when is her next heat ?? I mean like every how often do they get it ?? THanks again
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=56611
[/QUOTE]
I have no clue lol sorry I know other people on here will know though.

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Are you sure it was blood you saw when you were trimming her? Kallie had dark hair there and I took her to the vet and he said it was stained from her licking it... like the tear stains at her eyes.... it has been a couple years since I first noticed it but the hair there is still not really white but has that "tear-stained" look.....

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Originally posted by Kallie/Catcher's Mom@Apr 25 2005, 05:59 PM
Are you sure it was blood you saw when you were trimming her? Kallie had dark hair there and I took her to the vet and he said it was stained from her licking it... like the tear stains at her eyes.... it has been a couple years since I first noticed it but the hair there is still not really white but has that "tear-stained" look.....
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=56616
[/QUOTE]

Yes im positive its blood her chonch is pink with white hair no stains and like near the opening in the back where it meets her skin there is dryl blood like when you dont clean up the blood on your skin it drys and looks like cracky like llittle cracks. its like that im 110% sure its dry crackly blood.

·
Registered
7,741 Posts
u might want to get her checked out just to be sure. usually larger breeds go into heat early but small breeds, its usually later. i would at least call the vets office to see what they think. might have blood in her urine causing it.

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
It costs more to get spayed during her heat. And if she's 4 mos old, I think that's too young to have surgery. I think it may be wiser to wait a couple months, and she'll also be a little bigger which is easier to work on when they're bigger.

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
I agree to have her checked and be sure she really is in heat. If she is, I would wait a few months to spay her. Most vets prefer not to spay while they're in heat if there isn't a pressing reason to do so. There is more risk of bleeding when they're in heat. It can be done safely, but if you're okay waiting, that may be a good plan depending on what your vet thinks. Each case is individual.

The most important thing is to not allow her unsupervised with any other dogs. No going out in the yard without a leash and mom attached. Most dogs stop bleeding after about 10 days, but they are not fertile until later in the month. She should be kept under close supervision for 3-4 weeks from the first day of bleeding.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Some dogs get spayed and neutered at 4 months now. I wouldn't recommend it on a small breed but my old vet did. I waited till 7 months anyway. Definitely call the vet and try to get a urine sample so he can test it for a UTI. They can also tell you if she's in heat or not. I would listen to JMM too and everyone else and wait a few months to get her spayed. If she's in heat you should wait anyway and if she's not then good she can wait still. Your vet can discuss it better with you when you go in for your appointment.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts