Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Hi everyone! I'm not entirely new as I've been posting for a little while, mainly in the form of asking oodles of questions....nervous new momma that i am! BUT...my little furbaby is scheduled to come home this friday and i am so unbelievably excited! i have so many things ready such as the following:

food and water dish
baby playpen
300 wee wee pads (i know, ebay what can i say?)
small dental chew
kennel
small dog bed
ear wash (ear clear antibacterial)
2 tubes of nutrical
small pinbrush
no tears puppy shampoo
80 count box of puppy wipes

am i missing anything? :lol: :lol:

yes i've been kind of obsessed since i decided to enter mommyhood (no human babies for a while though!)

i just wanted to say thank you so much for all answering my questions and being so darn nice and helpful! i'll post pictures as soon as he comes home!

April, gizmo's expectant momma

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
I dont think you need that many nutrical tubes.

Just keep in mind that it takes work training these lovely creatures but it's definitely worth it!

·
Registered
3,287 Posts
How exciting !!!Your wait is almost over
You didnt mention toys,but Im sure you have them.Post pics. as soon as you can.Have fun!!

·
Registered
894 Posts
AAAHHHHH, shopping for a new baby!! Sounds like you have a great start! Do you have a little bed yet to put in your crate? They like to snuggle down into something to sleep! I remember not to long ago, the wait for our Sisse seemed like FOREVER! How exciting!! Keep us posted and upload pictures please cause we're anxiously waiting with you!!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ha ha ha people around me think i have gone completely BONKERS since i decided to bring a maltese pup home.

i haven't bought any toys yet. i have to say though he is coming home young, 8 weeks and i know that's young but it's a long story.
either way i'm taking time to make sure he's ok.

but i have no idea what to get him in terms of toys. should i get stuffed toys?
kongs? puppy kongs? nylabones? pet stages toys? aaaaaaaaah there are too many choices! i am on a budget (student) so i have to consider each buy carefully. i don't have a bed for the inside of the kennel. any suggestions on something comfy to put in there? something wallet-friendly?

i love that i can come on this site and there are people who are just a kuckoo as i am about these little babies! :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
oh, one more thing! my breeder said not to feed him any treats until he's a bit older so that he's used to eating his kibble only for a while. not to spoil his appetite with treats. when did you all start using treats as a training method with your little ones? any suggestions or anyone with experience with an 8 week old puppy?

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
Well for the toys, you know there is a HUGE selection out there!! I think I would get at least a kong, nylabone flexible, and a squeaky stuffed animal. Peanut really likes the Petstages toys too. His favorite is the pyramid.

I'm not sure what size your kennel is but for a cheaper alternative I used a standard sized pillow. It fits perfectly in Peanut's crate, and it was cheaper than those $30 crate pads at the pet store. He always jumps up onto my bed to sleep on my pillows anyways, so I figured he could have his own

·
Registered
7,621 Posts
In my experience (don't know about the rest of you guys) Massimo has a thing for plush toys, with or without a squeaky! Ever since he was a teeny little guy (I too brought my furkid home at 8 weeks) he's always fancied them. He also liked (and still does!) the cat toy balls-without catnip that is...but I had to watch him with them because he would shred them! But it sounds like you're pretty prepared! I bet your excited, only a few more days!! I'm excited FOR you!!!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
just confirmed the pick up time on friday! yay! it's a 2 1/2 hour drive one way so it'll be a long day but well worth the drive!

Carrie, since you have experience with massimo, do you have any suggestions or extra precautions i need to take regarding potty training or anything? thanks!

·
Registered
7,621 Posts
Originally posted by gizzysmommy@Apr 12 2005, 12:09 AM
just confirmed the pick up time on friday! yay! it's a 2 1/2 hour drive one way so it'll be a long day but well worth the drive!

Carrie, since you have experience with massimo, do you have any suggestions or extra precautions i need to take regarding potty training or anything? thanks!
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=51705
[/QUOTE]

Massimo never had any problems (knock on wood), however I would watch out for Hypoglycemia. Make sure your pup is eating, and keep an eye out for any symptoms (weakness, shaking- even convulsions- and finally a coma), if you even think you see them you need to get to the vet straight away or it may be fatal. And since he's not finished with his puppy series, I wouldn't let him around other dogs- or even outside for now, because he could contract parvo or some other doggy doom. On potty training, I really didn't have a problem with Massimo...I'm a stay at home mom, so at any sign of sniffing and or circling I would plop him on his wee pad. He seemed to pick it up quickly. Make no mistake, he did have his accidents....but you should never "punish" these animlas. They are very sensitive. If I even raise my voice, Massimo get's jumpy. I did a 'Uh-uh" noise when he made a wee on the carpet, and picked him up and set him on his wee pad. Never associate yelling or punishing with pottying..... Training these little guys takes time and great care. The most important thing to do it LOVE your new arrival and HAVE FUN!!!

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
In the beginning I would just use a towel in the crate. Your furbaby might have a few accidents in there, so until you know he won't go in the crate I would just use a towel or two. After that if you have the 22" crate (I think that is the size) you can use a standard pillow. I did this and got a allergy cover (water-proof, cost $3) and a thick pillow sham. The allergy cover and pillow sham are washable. I was able to get whatever color pillow sham I wanted. The whole thing cost me like $20. A lot cheaper then a dog bed with a removable cover.

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Originally posted by Lexi's Mom@Apr 12 2005, 10:04 AM
In the beginning I would just use a towel in the crate.  Your furbaby might have a few accidents in there, so until you know he won't go in the crate I would just use a towel or two.  After that if you have the 22" crate (I think that is the size) you can use a standard pillow.  I did this and got a allergy cover (water-proof, cost $3) and a thick pillow sham.  The allergy cover and pillow sham are washable.  I was able to get whatever color pillow sham I wanted.  The whole thing cost me like $20.  A lot cheaper then a dog bed with a removable cover.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=51766
[/QUOTE]

When K & C were puppies, I tried the towel and both K & C shredded theirs and I was afraid they'd swallow parts of it. I had to use a sheet since it is a smooth material. Kallie peed on it just about every day.... Catcher never did.....

For Kallie I then got a special pad from PetSmart. It is foam with a waterproof cover. Well wouldn't you know.... Kallie unzipped the cover and started eating the foam so that was the end of that "brilliant" idea....

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
Originally posted by gizzysmommy@Apr 11 2005, 09:22 PM
but i have no idea what to get him in terms of toys. should i get stuffed toys?
kongs? puppy kongs? nylabones? pet stages toys? aaaaaaaaah there are too many choices! i am on a budget (student) so i have to consider each buy carefully. i don't have a bed for the inside of the kennel. any suggestions on something comfy to put in there? something wallet-friendly? 

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=51676
[/QUOTE]

YES TO ALL!

And I fed my babies treats right away to potty train them. Maybe instead of honeynut cheerios, feed regular cheerios since it's not sweet. Just a suggestion.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Tunders all time favorite toy is this stupid cow from pet smart. Its as big as he is, soft and squeaky. The drags it around for you to throw for him. Its quite funny.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
ha ha that's hilarious. they all sound like they have such great personalities. i can only hope mine will grow to be the same. about three more days or so and counting. i will try the towel method first and if he destroys it then i will have to move on. the kennel is pretty small. a standard size pillow will not work for it at all. but he's just about 1 1/2 lbs. maybe so it should be fine for a while. :D

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Three days! Yay very exciting!!

Phoebe doesnt shred anything, maybe your little guy wont so the towels will be ok. As far as toys I'd get different textures at first to see what if anything he prefers. Definately a hard nylabone, maybe a rope toy (mine loves) and a stuffed (mine doesn't like and has never made one squeak). That way he has a choice and you will soon know what he likes best
I also used treats right away, but maybe your breeder is right and you can try using his regular kibble as a treat. For some reason some seem to like it so much better when coming out of your hand

I know the excitement and anticipation is killing you but it will be here fast! Those first few nights are just so exciting too- I could hardly sleep. I was waking *her* up not the other way around

1 - 20 of 24 Posts