Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just returned from a 450 mile trip to Memphis to pick up my Westie. Now, our family of dogs is complete again. I took Kelsey to Ohio last month to breed with our boy three of us own, but decided against it after I got her up there. It was 1500 miles for that trip, so I was so glad that she got a ride part of the way back home. She was staying with my friend who had already been warned that she was more Maltese than Westie. The people she rode to Memphis with also have two Westies, and they couldn't get over how different she is from their two. I guess when another breed lives in the house with a bunch of Maltese, they just have to adapt to their personality. It's funny that she did this because she was away several months last year getting her championship, but she was raised with them from a pup. She is not even the alpha with the group.
Kelsey had to spend a lot of time in a crate while she is gone. I think you all know how I feel about crateing pets for any length of time. I didn't even bring it in the house

·
Registered
7,486 Posts
When we got Jolie we were between a bichon and a westie. We attended a dog show so that we could talk to dog people. They kept talking about the "terrier attitude". We had been bullied by a cocker spaniel and were determined to be the alpha with our prospective puppy. Even tho we decided on the bichon, I have always thought westies were very cute. We have a couple of friends that are really dedicated to their westies. I would also be curious to know that you think about westies and that whole "terrier attitude" thing...

·
Premium Member
1,959 Posts
So I guess it's a white and furry weekend at your house!!!! Bet it feels good to have all the babies home!!!

·
Registered
2,942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So I guess it's a white and furry weekend at your house!!!! Bet it feels good to have all the babies home!!![/B]

It feels great to have all the crew back together.
My friend who had Kelsey at her house, as well as the Westie owners who brought her as far as Memphis couldn't get over how much Kelsey is "not Westie" in personality. I've heard about the Westie temperament too, but never had a problem with it with my girls. Bess was my first one, and she was just as sweet as could be. I don't know how she would have reacted to a group of other dogs though. My friend in Ohio has a number of elderly Westies, as well as three or four younger ones. She has two play areas for them, but never lets out more than a couple together.
My Westie doesn't shed. She is hand stripped. She came home with a new short hair do.
Westies are funny little ones who love to please too--just a lot sturdier, and make a nice dog to take for walks in the country. I had Kelsey in a harness on the front seat, but I didn't have it tight enough, and she worked her way right into my lap, giving me kisses as I drove. When she got back into the kitchen, she and little four pound Dee Dee took off on a run and play around the island.

·
Registered
3,287 Posts
Im so glad you have all youre babies back home.I couldnt stand being seperated from mine.When I was gone in Rockford for a month without mine ,it drove me crazy
Didnt even have them there to snuggle & comfort me

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Glad your family is whole again. A month or so ago, here I was in a luxury hotel in Jamaica, enjoying drinks with those stupid little umbrellas in them, living the life of Riley literally, and all I wanted was to smell my Sammie! We arrived back in Nashville at 1:00 in the morning, had over an hour drive back to our doggie sitter's home, and instead of going back and getting him in the morning, I had to stop and get him before we made our way home. Was NOT going to sleep even 1/2 a night more without my little one. Give all your darlings a kiss for us.

Samsonsmom

Should not even comment on that one. Here I was cuddled up on my big brother's couch, perfectly comfortable, sleeping like Rip Van Winkle and in bursts this crazy woman yelling "Where's my baby!?!" It was okay though. It wasn't too long until I was sleeping peacefully on what I consider my own pillow. Wonder where she slept? Sammie.

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Glad your family is whole again. A month or so ago, here I was in a luxury hotel in Jamaica, enjoying drinks with those stupid little umbrellas in them, living the life of Riley literally, and all I wanted was to smell my Sammie! We arrived back in Nashville at 1:00 in the morning, had over an hour drive back to our doggie sitter's home, and instead of going back and getting him in the morning, I had to stop and get him before we made our way home. Was NOT going to sleep even 1/2 a night more without my little one. Give all your darlings a kiss for us.

Samsonsmom

Should not even comment on that one. Here I was cuddled up on my big brother's couch, perfectly comfortable, sleeping like Rip Van Winkle and in bursts this crazy woman yelling "Where's my baby!?!" It was okay though. It wasn't too long until I was sleeping peacefully on what I consider my own pillow. Wonder where she slept? Sammie.[/B]
I truly know how you feel.... I cannot enjoy traveling when my babies are at home (with sitter). I just am not "right" until I get home.....

·
Registered
7,486 Posts
Thanks for the info about westies. I think they are just adorable, but afraid they might be more alpha than me....I'm a pushover!

·
Registered
161 Posts
I can tell you that other breeds sometimes DO adopt the attitude of the dogs they come to live with or stay with. Our son's Boston Terrier stayed with us the first 6 months of her life and she thinks she is a maltese to this day! She is a hoot...even her voice is toned down to a little girl whimper most of the time. She walks on the back of the couch and then lays behind us on our shoulders, just like Maggie likes to do. She want to be carried on my son's shoulders, too..which is so funny cause she's a long-legged Boston...and so she reminds me more of a sheep laying across his shoulders more than a Boston (even though the coloring isn't right)..it's just those darned long legs she has! haahaa..Anyway, she is precious..but a definite terrier trying to be a maltese. She was just home with us again this Thanksgiving and instantly she and Maggie did their walk on the back of the couches together. :) I'm just so glad it didn't happen the other way around that Maggie wanted to be a Boston Terrier! Now, that might have taken some getting used to.haha!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts