Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
She seems to think that she is entitled to 1/2 of everything without having to pay for it. She thinks she should get half the house but doesn't have to pay for the morgage or utilities. Her lawyer set my brother this really stupid letter. My younger brother is ready to go and take a baseball bat to her car. I would probably be right behind him. My older brother (the one who was engaged) is back to throwing up and not sleeping because he is so worked up about it.

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Originally posted by Lexi's Mom@Mar 31 2005, 10:31 AM
She seems to think that she is entitled to 1/2 of everything without having to pay for it.  She thinks she should get half the house but doesn't have to pay for the morgage or utilities.  Her lawyer set my brother this really stupid letter.  My younger brother is ready to go and take a baseball bat to her car.  I would probably be right behind him.  My older brother (the one who was engaged) is back to throwing up and not sleeping because he is so worked up about it.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=47752
[/QUOTE]

Wow! What a
. I feel so bad for your brother. I hope everything works out. Why is that people are so "entitled" to everything? Yet not have to pay?
Give me a break...

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
WHAT THE *&%$! How long were they living with each other? What a freeloading &*(*&!. I know what she's entitled to! HALF OF THE BILL! I hope your brother gets well soon and I hope he has a good lawyer! They weren't even married!

·
Registered
3,287 Posts
I cant remember,was the house in both their names? What a B**** !I hope your brother has a good lawyer...they may be bluffing to see what they can get.Poor guy.

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
They were together for 5 years. They just bough the house in October. My brother has been paying the $1100 a month mortgage. The ex was paying the $200 a month utlities. The house is in both their names.

If you want to read the letter PM me. I don't want to post it on the thread but can PM it to you.

·
Registered
894 Posts
As it stands with Lawyers, the longer you need to keep them the more money they make. So, as long as the 2 lawyers involved can keep at each other they will stand to receive quite a bit, unless there was a "predetermined" amount set and agreed upon. Check the laws of your state. If they lived together for a certain amount of time she may well be entitled to 1/2, but if the home is in just your brothers name he may have a leg to stand on there. If the court decides she IS entitled to 1/2, his lawyer may be able to get the court to order her to pay 1/2 of whatever monies your brother has already got in the house.

I know this has been a long road for your poor brother and your entire family. I will keep you all in my thoughts and prayers for a speedy and fair resolution.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Is she a vested owner on title to the house with him? Did she contribute any of her own funds to the purchase of the property? If she's not...she's not entitled to jack squat! They were not married and she wasn't making the mortgage payments so she's not entitled to anything. If she is on the title to the house with him...that's another story...but you didn't mention so I'm assuming she thinks she's entitled to it for no reason. The law is on your brother's side....tell him to hire an attorney and fight her. I know he probably feels bad that the relationship didn't work out...but that's no reason to get taken advantage of! He's better off without this fruitloop!!!!

·
Registered
3,287 Posts
Originally posted by Lexi's Mom@Mar 31 2005, 10:57 AM
They were together for 5 years.  They just bough the house in October.  My brother has been paying the $1100 a month mortgage.  The ex was paying the $200 a month utlities.  The house is in both their names.

If you want to read the letter PM me.  I don't want to post it on the thread but can PM it to you.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=47780
[/QUOTE]
Kristi,did they have a JOINT checking or savings acccount ? Depending on the state laws if they did his money and hers are considered the same.So even if he was makiong the house payments ,she might be entitled to half the house in that case.Which wouold suck big time.Thats why if ppl live tiogether they should have seperate accts.So they can prove who paid what.

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Originally posted by Pippinsmom@Mar 31 2005, 10:08 AM
Is she a vested owner on title to the house with him?  Did she contribute any of her own funds to the purchase of the property?  If she's not...she's not entitled to jack squat!  They were not married and she wasn't making the mortgage payments so she's not entitled to anything.  If she is on the title to the house with him...that's another story...but you didn't mention so I'm assuming she thinks she's entitled to it for no reason.  The law is on your brother's side....tell him to hire an attorney and fight her.  I know he probably feels bad that the relationship didn't work out...but that's no reason to get taken advantage of!  He's better off without this fruitloop!!!!
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=47786
[/QUOTE]
The house is in both their names. She has not paid anything towards the house. My brother has paid the mortgage, down payment, fiancing, insurance, etc. All she has paid is the utilities for the 4-5 months she lived there. She has taken her name of the utilities now and has refused to pay any more.

He does have a lawyer, who is a friend of his. I think they will be responding to the letter with one stating everything my brother has paid for and how much she has paid. If she is the joint owner then she should have to pay for half the expenses.

Oh, she has also called the reception hall, photographer, and dejay and told them to refund the deposits back to her. My brother is the one who paid all the deposits!!!!!!
Edit: Actually he dad was the one that called the photographer. He told them to send the refund to HIM in his name!!! WTF!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Originally posted by sheila2182+Mar 31 2005, 10:16 AM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-Lexi's Mom
@Mar 31 2005, 10:57 AM
They were together for 5 years.  They just bough the house in October.  My brother has been paying the $1100 a month mortgage.  The ex was paying the $200 a month utlities.  The house is in both their names.

If you want to read the letter PM me.  I don't want to post it on the thread but can PM it to you.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=47780
Kristi,did they have a JOINT checking or savings acccount ? Depending on the state laws if they did his money and hers are considered the same.So even if he was makiong the house payments ,she might be entitled to half the house in that case.Which wouold suck big time.Thats why if ppl live tiogether they should have seperate accts.So they can prove who paid what.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=47789
[/B][/QUOTE]

They had a joint account for the wedding expenses only. My brother is the only one who depositted anything in the account. In Jan 2005 she told him to close the account and to keep the money. Now her lawyer is saying he closed the account without giving her half the money.

All house expenses were paid from their separate accounts.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Ok...I just read all the other posts..sorry about that! I would definitely consult a lawyer....I'm thinking she may be entitled to 1/2 the available equity in the house...which would be the difference between the value of the property and the balance of the mortgage. Your brother has options...I certainly hope that he feels better soon. What a horrible thing for him to have to go thru!

·
Registered
7,486 Posts
I'm really sorry for your brother. I suggest that he get a really good lawyer. His best friend might be the attorney that he wants, but may not be the one he NEEDS. I believe in the legal system in this country, but sometimes what seems like it would be fair isn't necessarily the way that it'll go. Before this all came up had your brother been doing OK and moving on with his life? As I recall he was making noises about trying to get the girl back. Hope he gave up on that.

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Originally posted by msmagnolia@Mar 31 2005, 10:32 AM
I'm really sorry for your brother.  I suggest that he get a really good lawyer.  His best friend might be the attorney that he wants, but may not be the one he NEEDS.  I believe in the legal system in this country, but sometimes what seems like it would be fair isn't necessarily the way that it'll go.  Before this all came up had your brother been doing OK and moving on with his life?  As I recall he was making noises about trying to get the girl back.  Hope he gave up on that.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=47797
[/QUOTE]

Yeah he was moving on. He was going to keep the house and have 2 guys move in with him as roommates. Well the ex is now saying that if that happens she is entitled to half the rent because she is joint owner. Whatever!

The lawyer is actually the brother of a friend. I think he is a pretty good lawyer. My brother wouldn't go to someone just because they were a friend if they were a bad lawyer.

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Originally posted by Pippinsmom@Mar 31 2005, 12:25 PM
Ok...I just read all the other posts..sorry about that!  I would definitely consult a lawyer....I'm thinking she may be entitled to 1/2 the available equity in the house...which would be the difference between the value of the property and the balance of the mortgage.  Your brother has options...I certainly hope that he feels better soon.  What a horrible thing for him to have to go thru!
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=47795
[/QUOTE]

Yep your right if she is on title she get half. Regardess of what she put it. That's that bad part . He will need a good lawyer to work this out. It's really bad that she is causing all these problems. She should just pay for her half of the bills and walk away.
Insted of giving your brother so much greif and stress.
Some people's children.

·
Registered
7,486 Posts
Oh, I'm sure the lawyer isn't a bad lawyer. I'm just figuring that he need whatever lawyer he has to be pretty cut-throat. Might have to dig up some dirt, ya know?

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Originally posted by msmagnolia@Mar 31 2005, 10:58 AM
Oh, I'm sure the lawyer isn't a bad lawyer.  I'm just figuring that he need whatever lawyer he has to be pretty cut-throat.  Might have to dig up some dirt, ya know?
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=47810
[/QUOTE]

At first he was still trying to be nice (he is a really nice guy) and not try to screw her. Now he is pissed and hopefully he will start looking out for himself more.

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Originally posted by Lexi's Mom+Mar 31 2005, 12:00 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-msmagnolia
@Mar 31 2005, 10:58 AM
Oh, I'm sure the lawyer isn't a bad lawyer.  I'm just figuring that he need whatever lawyer he has to be pretty cut-throat.  Might have to dig up some dirt, ya know?
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=47810
At first he was still trying to be nice (he is a really nice guy) and not try to screw her. Now he is pissed and hopefully he will start looking out for himself more.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=47813
[/B][/QUOTE]

Was she ever like this (
) before? I can't remember if you have always liked her or not...

1 - 20 of 30 Posts