Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi! My brother finishes up school Nov.4th, and should be home by the Monday after that
I'm so glad he's coming home, but honestly I have become sooo attached to Harley. (Just in case anyone's forgot, Harley is his, but he found out after bringing her home to his apartment that his landlord doesn't allow pets) Dustin's going to live with us, at least for now, so Harley won't be going anywhere, but I've been treating Harley as my own, and I'm hoping things don't change too much. I can't imagine Harley not sleeping with me and Bella, or Dustin taking her for walks without me. I've seen her through her spay, and teething, and I love her so much. Don't get me wrong, I hope Dustin and Harley have a great relationship, but everybody hope I have the sense to let them bond properly, and hope Dustin has the sense to refer to me with questions, because I have quite the support group here at SM for answers
I'm probably being silly, but I tend to think of these dogs as my children, and I feel like I have adopted Harley already, it might be really hard for me to have her real person taking care of her. Thanks for listening

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't you originally give Harley as a gift to your brother? If so, maybe you can just gift him with another dog when he's on his own!

Seriously, based on the "best interests of the child" standard that's used in human kids, I'd say it is definately in Harley's best interest to stay with you and Bella. You are the one who has been been with her the longest, trained her, etc.

It sounds like you have a really good relationship with your brother. I'm sure he'll understand that Harley has bonded with you and would be better off staying with you. It sounds like his life is still in flux with all this moving and, truthfully, he'd be better off without a dog until it settles down some.

·
Premium Member
13,652 Posts
I tend to agree with LadysMom, and perhaps when your brother sees how happy Harley is with you he may also feel it would be in the best interest of her to allow her to stay with you.

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Originally posted by LadysMom@Oct 27 2005, 01:57 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't you originally give Harley as a gift to your brother? If so, maybe you can just gift him with another dog when he's on his own!

Seriously, based on the "best interests of the child" standard that's used in human kids, I'd say it is definately in Harley's best interest to stay with you and Bella. You are the one who has been been with her the longest, trained her, etc.

It sounds like you have a really good relationship with your brother. I'm sure he'll understand that Harley has bonded with you and would be better off staying with you. It sounds like his life is still in flux with all this moving and, truthfully, he'd be better off without a dog until it settles down some.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=113991
[/QUOTE]

Yes, she was a gift from me. For months he had been talking about getting a Pit Bull, and while I have nothing against them, I don't think they would be a suitable companion for a Maltese
, one of us would have had to move out. Anyway, one day he called me and said he had been thinking about getting a Yorkie instead. He was really excited about it, and so I helped him out. (I will admit I did this for me and Bella too) Luckily, we will be living in the same house at least until I finish grad school or he gets a good job, I guess I'm just having attachment issues with Harley, I know she is technically his, but what a mess I've created here. I thought Harley would be living with him the whole time he was at school, and then when he moved back in she would be bonded with him, but then she ended up living with me and bonding with me. I feel like an idiot, but I hope he decides he's to busy for her, I know eventually my brother and I will be living in separate houses, and I love Harley like crazy. Thanks for your encouragement

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Originally posted by Msloke@Oct 28 2005, 01:09 PM
Well, I don't know how long your brother actually had with Harley, but another solution would be to get him another malt?  Win-win all around....the more, the merrier!    :D Just a thought.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=114327
[/QUOTE]

That made me smile! I don't think I could go through another spay though
I think since we live in the same house right now I'll just try to calm down and deal with stuff as it happens. Maybe we'll all just be one big happy (noisy with all that barking) family
I've got some things working in my favor though for sure. She's attached to me and Bella, and once he sees them playing together I doubt he'll ever want to separate them, I keep telling myself I'm just paraniod.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts