Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
7,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was on my way to Tampa for my externship, and my husband called me 30 minutes into the drive. Oscar, my cat, was having trouble peeing again. He just got home on Tuesday and was doing so well
But now he is back in ICU for the weekend. He has a surgery consult on monday for a perineal urethrostomy (which basically turns him into a girl, giving him a bigger opening to pee from). i have mixed feelings about this. Dont know if this is drastic measures or not. I have never seen a cat have one before, but it might be a common thing. i will talk to the vet i have my externship and see what her opinion is. has any one had this done to their cat? i feel like im medically retarded when it comes to my own pets
and being so far away makes it hard to. cross ur fingers for Oscar for me. I hope he doesnt need the surgery.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Poor kitty. I am sure the vet will be able to give you the best advice. He is in good hands with your hubby. Don't worry!

·
Registered
3,287 Posts
Poor thing,a worry you dont need for sure,Sending out prayers for Oscar that he will be better and not need the surgery.Keep your chin up

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Will be keeping Oscar in my thoughts. Good luck with the externship, and know that your hubby will take good care of your kitty!

·
Registered
7,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks everyone. my friend just called...she had ICU duty so was able to spend some time with him. said he was eating and took a nap on her lap. glad i have some good friends at home that can give my boy some love

·
Registered
7,486 Posts
Jaimie, Hope Oscar is OK. How is Tampa? Heard from our friend that you'd arrived and gotten settled. Hope all was OK.
S

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Hugs to you and Oscar!!

Good luck with your externship!!!

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
Poor baby! I hope Oscar's ok.

·
Registered
7,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
looks like we are going to go ahead with the surgery
everytime the urinary catheter comes out he cant pee...so almost dont have any choice. at least with the surgery, he should never have the prob. again. he goes under the knife on Wed. they will do a contract radiography study to visualize the bladder and urethra to make sure nothing else is going on before going ahead with the surgery. if all is good then they go right to surgery. it's not 100% that it will work, which terrifies me. but the best surgeon there is doing it, so i feel better about that. so now i need fingers to be crossed that it works

as far as the externship...today was the first day and it went ok...i felt more like a tech than a doctor in training. but they were short some ppl and had some fairly new employees. hopefully tomorrow will be better.
thanks Msmagnolia for finding me the place. other than the a/c not working i have no complaints. hopefully i will get that taken care of soon. thanks for intoducing me to ur friend. he is a very nice guy

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Awww....I will keep you and Oscar in my thoughts and prayers....

1 - 20 of 46 Posts