Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I woke up and got a text from our neighbor saying she heard a pitful cat meowing. She followed the sound out to a tree and found our cat about 20-30 feet up a tree! I went out, and sure enough, there was Snowbell :( We have an extension ladder and are going to take it out there and hopefully it will be tall enough to reach her! I will post more (and some pix) after we try to get her down!

Please pray that she can be reached and doesn't climb higher and that when I go to grab her (with leather gloves!) that she doesn't try to scratch my arm off! Poor kitty :-(

AACK!

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
Hope you can reach her okay!
If you can't reach with the ladder, maybe you can call a company that cuts treees?
Not to cut down the tree, but they would have the equipment to get her.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Did you get her down? I had a cat that got (no joke) probably 100 feet up a tree and there was nothing we could do. She came down overnight and was completely fine. I hope you both are on the ground safely now. :)

·
Premium Member
24,019 Posts
Please be careful, especially with the ladder. Maybe a local ladder company from the fire dept could come and help. I've seen it done here in the suburbs. Good luck!:grouphug:

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Ok so she is DOWN from the tree! Praise the Lord!

My husband and I went out there with the tallest ladder we had and it wasn't even 1/2 way to where she was! My hubby guessed she was close to 40 feet up. We stand there for awhile calling to her but realize there is no way she will be able to climb the trunk back down. So we both go back to the house, grab some coffee and mull over what to do. I was looking up "Cat in a tree rescues" on google and someone had mentioned they got a rope around a branch and lifted a basket up to their cat and the cat got in and they managed to get it down.

So we found a cardboard box and tied a rope to it. My husband used a fishing pole and a weight to cast a line around the branch. We tied the rope that was attached to the box to the fishing line and then reeled the rope up and over the branch. Then we pulled the box up to where she could get in.

Now the waiting game...we sat out there over an hour calling to her. She would come over to the branch and sniff at the box and we would get so excited! Then she would turn and walk back to the opposite end of the branch. I told the kids that God was the only one who could tell the kitty to get in the box or jump. OS we prayed for God to help Snowbell. Ten minutes later I see my 5 year old son bowing his head praying for Jesus to save the kitty.

The kids were getting hot and tired so my husband took the younger 3 inside. Another hour passes and she shows no interest in the box. BUT she does start walking to the end of a branch lloking like she wants to jump. I had my suburban parked nearby so I jump in and pull it under the branch where she is and start patting the roof and calling to her.

She get's closer and closer to the edge...the wind picks up. She get's too far and can't turn back and starts losing her grip on the branch. I yell to my oldest daughter, "She's going to fall!" ands we both watch as Snowbell is dangling by her 2 front paws in the wind. Then she let's go and falls 12+ feet to the hood of my truck. She jumps down and SPRINTS to the backdoor of my house. :)

I come in and found her wolfing down cat food and after she had enough she curled up on my bed and went to sleep. I checked her over and don't see anything wrong with her. She is eating, drinking, and interacting normally. I will keep an eye on her but I think she will be alright!

God does hear the prayers of little children! :)

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thank you for the link! :thumbsup: I did find that group this morning when I was surfing the net trying to figure out what to do. The nearest member of the rescue was in Nashville which is 40-60 minutes away (depending on what part of Nashville) so we wanted to try first before we called someone.

Here is the name of a group that helps cats in trees.
Dan Kraus - Cat in a Tree Rescue

There is some great information on the FAQ page that may help as well.
Hoping to soon hear Snowbell is safe and home with you!

·
Premium Member
24,019 Posts
OMG :w00t::w00t: What a cliff (or tree) hanger. :new_shocked: I was on the edge of my seat reading your post. Thank God Snowbell came (I'm using that term very loosely) down and is safe. I can't imagine how it would have been for you, your DH and especially the kids if she didn't survive it. Tell that crazy cat to stay on the ground and not be part of any fishing expeditions. Really relieved for you.:smheat::grouphug:

·
Premium Member
15,201 Posts
Ok so she is DOWN from the tree! Praise the Lord!

My husband and I went out there with the tallest ladder we had and it wasn't even 1/2 way to where she was! My hubby guessed she was close to 40 feet up. We stand there for awhile calling to her but realize there is no way she will be able to climb the trunk back down. So we both go back to the house, grab some coffee and mull over what to do. I was looking up "Cat in a tree rescues" on google and someone had mentioned they got a rope around a branch and lifted a basket up to their cat and the cat got in and they managed to get it down.

So we found a cardboard box and tied a rope to it. My husband used a fishing pole and a weight to cast a line around the branch. We tied the rope that was attached to the box to the fishing line and then reeled the rope up and over the branch. Then we pulled the box up to where she could get in.

Now the waiting game...we sat out there over an hour calling to her. She would come over to the branch and sniff at the box and we would get so excited! Then she would turn and walk back to the opposite end of the branch. I told the kids that God was the only one who could tell the kitty to get in the box or jump. OS we prayed for God to help Snowbell. Ten minutes later I see my 5 year old son bowing his head praying for Jesus to save the kitty.

The kids were getting hot and tired so my husband took the younger 3 inside. Another hour passes and she shows no interest in the box. BUT she does start walking to the end of a branch lloking like she wants to jump. I had my suburban parked nearby so I jump in and pull it under the branch where she is and start patting the roof and calling to her.

She get's closer and closer to the edge...the wind picks up. She get's too far and can't turn back and starts losing her grip on the branch. I yell to my oldest daughter, "She's going to fall!" ands we both watch as Snowbell is dangling by her 2 front paws in the wind. Then she let's go and falls 12+ feet to the hood of my truck. She jumps down and SPRINTS to the backdoor of my house. :)

I come in and found her wolfing down cat food and after she had enough she curled up on my bed and went to sleep. I checked her over and don't see anything wrong with her. She is eating, drinking, and interacting normally. I will keep an eye on her but I think she will be alright!

God does hear the prayers of little children! :)
Thank GOD that Snowbell is safe and in the place where she belongs :chili::grouphug:

wowza!!!! that sure was quite a mission you guys had to accomplish! I am very impressed - you guys make a wonderful kittie rescue team :aktion033::chili: :thumbsup:

I am really happy that she is safe :D

(hugs)
Kat

ps. Romeo the kitty never fails to surprise me to what he can do (and in some cases, have no clue on how to get out of the situation - just like Snowbell when being stuck in a tree - something similar happened. He climbed in the garden of one house when they were away on a vacation and then wasn't able to get out on his own. Needless to say, we had to also climb into the garden that didn't belong to us to get him out of there:w00t:)...I still don't fully understand Romeo :HistericalSmiley: -- he is weird in his action, but sure is a clown. He isn't mine, so I don't spend tones of time with him-that is why i don't know much about kitty behavior. Romeo is sure an entertainer.

·
Premium Member
8,543 Posts
WOW ! this was way up in the tree. Fire departments have rescued cats in trees. She sure had a gardian angel with her to get her down without hurting herself.

·
Premium Member
20,031 Posts
I've worried over kitties up in trees many times before....I'm glad you got her down....but i think they are pretty resoursefull on their own.....

Let's hope she doesn't go up there again, but I bet if she could get up there....she could get down.....

1 - 20 of 24 Posts