Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. I just had to come on here because I knew a lot of people here would understand. My husbands cat, Pookie is not doing well. We are not sure how old Pookie is but he has had him for 14 years. Pook's was an adult cat when he adopted him from the Humane Society. Pookie has had a great life with no health problems but tonight I can tell something is wrong. My husband said he will take him to the vet in the morning and if he isn't doing well he is going to have him put to sleep. My husband doesn't want to, he is with his cat now talking very softly to him. I know that Pook's has had a great life but it is so hard when you know they aren't doing well and this might be the end. We figure Pookie is between 16 and 18 years old. He is a wonderful cat. Very gentle and big, he weighs about 30 pounds. Lacey just loves him. She protects him against my cat, the monster. Right now she won't leave him. He is behind the couch in the corner and she is on top of the couch looking down at him. He seems not to be in any pain, at least I hope so. The emergency vet in my area is just horrible and I don't want to take him there unless I have to. I just had to tell someone that would understand how hard it is when you know that your baby is not doing well. Thanks all.

·
Premium Member
13,652 Posts
Oh I am sorry, but as you say he has had a good life. Cats are different when they are not well and they tend to want to hide. I do hope all turns out for the best all round and Pooky doesn't suffer any pain

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
My thoughts and prayers are with you. I was in your place last year. It is an awful feeling. Big hugs!

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
A friend of mines cat passed a year or so ago. It was a very peaceful death and from old age. She felt the same that night, that something was wrong and spent the last moments with her beloved cat. It's funny how pets and their owners have such a connection that without speaking you just kind of know things. I know this must be a very hard time for your family and your Pookie. You have given him a wonderful life and I am sure have so many wonderful memories. I hope things turn out well and in the morning you find you were worried for nothing! Hopefully the vet finds nothing wrong in the morning. Best wishes. We are all here for you.

·
Registered
7,486 Posts
I'm sorry for your family. Please let us know how things go tomorrow.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you. Pookie seems to be more at peace this morning. The vet saw him and said that he is just old and sometimes pets just die from old age. We have him at home and he is sleeping in his favorite spot. I had to go to work today...we are having a statewide drill today...just what I am in the mood for. So thank you all for your kind words. I am hoping that if this is the end he goes peacefully at home.

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
I'm sooo sorry to hear about Pookie. Its such a hard thing to see them not doing well. We are all so attached to our babies. My thoughts and prayers are with you and Pookie...

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
I'm so sorry to hear about Pookie. It's great that he had such a good, long life, but for those who love him, it is never long enough. My thoughts are with you.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hi all. Pookie is still hanging in there. We have been giving him Pedialyte every hour on the hour. The last time he was actually a little fiesty about it. Vet said there isn't much she or we can do for him. If she keeps him he will be in a cage with an IV and will proberly die alone. We brought him home and we know that he is going to die but he doesn't seem to be in any pain or discomfort, just sleeping. We would rather have him with us instead of him dying at the vets. If he does seem to be in any pain we are going to take him right back to the vet and she will put him to sleep. But so far he seems to just want to sleep. Lacey is very upset. She is like a little mother to him. She starts barking at us when we are giving him the Pedialyte...like she is telling us to leave him alone. But that is it for now. I am hoping that he just dies peacefully in his sleep in his house.

·
Registered
7,741 Posts
sorry about ur kitty..its never fun when these things happen...im sure pookie has lived a wonderful life with u guys

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
My thoughts and prayers are with you and Pookie. I am so sorry.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hi all and thank you all for the kind words.

My husband had to take Pookie to the vet this afternoon and have him put to sleep. He just wasn't getting any better and he hasn't moved since Sunday. Just laying in one spot and not moving. I wanted to go so badly with him but I got hit yesterday with a nasty flu. I hurt so bad inside from throwing up so much. Hurts to walk upright. So thank you everyone for your kind words and thoughts. At least he is now at peace and playing with my other 2 dogs at the Rainbow Bridge.

·
Registered
3,261 Posts
I'm so sorry.
He is now in a better place, you did the right thing. I'm sure he had a wonderful life that was well lived.

Sorry that you have the flu, I really hope that you feel better soon

1 - 20 of 25 Posts