Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, I havent' been on the site in a while due to some health issues I've been having, but it's great to be back. Ok, my question, my matty is the only maltese I've ever seen, until yesterday. My matty has the most horrible cottony coat. (I know he's healthy, we just had a vet check). On top of the cotton, I can't seem to get rid of his chicken blood tear stained eyes and mouth. I've been using this stuff called Crystal Eyes, but I don't think it's helping much. So, does anyone know what I can use so that his coat isn't so cottony and dry looking? And is there anything better for the stains than what I'm using? The maltese I saw yesterday had no stains and had the most beautiful shiny, soft and staight coat, and his hair wasn't even long! I guess my maltese just looks more poodle than anything else.

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
What shampoos and conditioners are you using?

What type of dish is Matty's water bowl? Is it plastic, steel, ceramic? What type of water do you give him? Tap or bottle? What food and treats do you give him? Do the stains smell? Sometimes that means and infection. Some people on here can give you more info on that.

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
I think Matty is one handsome boy!

As far as the cottony coat goes you really can't change what he was born with. No product in the world is going to change cotton into silk. My Lady has a more silky body, but her chest and legs are definately cottony. Pet Silk's Liquid Silk helps, so does Bless the Beasts fur pomade, and I love Pantene for shampooing, but no way will Lady ever glide into a room with her hair flowing behind her like the Maltese at Westminster. Her coat bounces!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok, so Matty drinks out of a plastic bowl. He drinks regular tap water. He eats Pedigree dog food (we also have a black lab & someone once told us that Pedigree was great for a dog's coat). His stains aren't smelly at all, they just look ugly.

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Originally posted by imamyloo@May 11 2005, 01:15 PM
Ok, so Matty drinks out of a plastic bowl.  He drinks regular tap water.  He eats Pedigree dog food (we also have a black lab & someone once told us that Pedigree was great for a dog's coat).  His stains aren't smelly at all, they just look ugly.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=61622
[/QUOTE]
Try having him drink out of a stainless steel or ceramic bowl for a couple of weeks. Sometimes plastic bowls can cause tear stains. Also your tap water might be causing the stains. You could try bottled water for a couple of weeks and see if that helps. Does the Pedigree have any dyes in it? That could also cause tear stains. Avoid any foods or treats that have dyes.

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
I agree with changing the dishes and getting a higher quality dog food. In addition, you may want to schedule an appointment with a veterinary ophthalmologist to rule out a physical problem causing excessive tearing to drain onto the face.

The coat may look shinier and healthier with a better diet and, if you like, you could add a fatty acid supplement like 3V Caps (your vet probably has them or you can order them yourself). Grooming products can also make a difference. A moisturizing shampoo and heavier conditioner can help get the hair in shape. Daily brushing with a conditioning spray can also help keep the coat healthy. Is your house very dry? How often do you bathe? What do you use?

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
Well, I see a few things in your post that could be contributing to his staining and poor coat quality. Throw out the plastic bowl and get either a stainless steel or ceramic bowl and wash it faithfully. Plastic holds bacteria. Cats can even get a type of acne on their chins from bacteria growing on plastic. Does his beard hang in his bowl and get wet? That could be causing staining, too. I got a special ceramic bowl from Bayou Ceramics recommended by JMM that really does keep their faces dry.

And last, but certainly not least, upgrade Matty's food. Pedigree and all the grocery store food is made from the garbage left over from the human food industry (Pedigree is a subsidiary of Mars) - awful things like chicken beaks and feet, blood and even feathers. I recommend you read this article from the Animal Protection Institute with a can of Pedigree in your hand to check the label.

http://www.api4animals.org/79.htm

I firmly believe that you are what you eat. A high quality food will not change Matty's coat from cottony to silky, but a healthy coat shouldn't be dull and lifeless. My Lady has a more cottony coat, but it has a shine to it nonetheless.

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Originally posted by Harleysmom@May 11 2005, 02:28 PM
the most important is the distilled water for the tear staining. As far as the coat,we have that prob too. -_-
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=61649
[/QUOTE]
I give Lexi the kind of water meant for babies. I figure if it is good enough for babies it is fine for her. She has no tear stains at all.

·
Registered
179 Posts
My first maltese, Chumley had a more cottony coat, and a holistic vet/chiropractor for animals I took him to in Philadelphia said to increase the fat in his diet just a bit. She suggested olive oil, which I used, and it did get a bit better. Worth a try!

As far as tearing stains, I was told that it is a bacterial problem......and once the bacteria is there, it is difficult to get rid of, other than keeping on top of the staining with either a professional product, or MOM kind of concoctions. (and of course, keeping the hair out of the tear ducts!)

Hope you find something that helps!

Hope you are feeling better now!

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
All are good suggestions but when Lacey gets tearstaining I know it is time to head back to the vet. The past two days she has had tearstaining so I know that she has another ear infection. Husband was sneaking her hotdogs and such and everytime he does she gets ear infections. Don't know what the food has to do with it but I can always tell. Vet says she proberly has food allergies and we should only feed her dog food and the fruit that we know does not cause a problem. So back to the vet tomorrow.

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
Originally posted by Laceys mom@May 11 2005, 07:30 PM
All are good suggestions but when Lacey gets tearstaining I know it is time to head back to the vet.  The past two days she has had tearstaining so I know that she has another ear infection.  Husband was sneaking her hotdogs and such and everytime he does she gets ear infections.  Don't know what the food has to do with it but I can always tell.  Vet says she proberly has food allergies and we should only feed her dog food and the fruit that we know does not cause a problem.  So back to the vet tomorrow.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=61716
[/QUOTE]

Your vet is absolutely right. Food allergies cause congestion which can cause ear infections.

My vet had me add fish oil to help boost Lady's immune system and improve her allergies. I really have seen a difference.

Tell Hubby to lay off the hotdogs!

·
Registered
608 Posts
Originally posted by Lexi's Mom+May 11 2005, 02:34 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-Harleysmom
@May 11 2005, 02:28 PM
the most important is the distilled water for the tear staining. As far as the coat,we have that prob too. -_-
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=61649
I give Lexi the kind of water meant for babies. I figure if it is good enough for babies it is fine for her. She has no tear stains at all.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=61650
[/B][/QUOTE]

The infant water has Fluoride in it that is what makes it different. I wonder if Fluoride works for dogs as it does on people? If so I may start using that for Tunny to help him w/ his teeth.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts