Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone! My cousin is stressing out. She has this school project due soon and she doesn't know where to start. She has to design a poster that goes with this quote:

"We may, with advantage, at times forget the things we know."

Like what?!?!?
Her teacher gave her an example--a kid who's suppose to be cleaning up his room but is talking on the phone instead and his mom is screaming at him. But, I still don't get it.

I had 2 examples that she said she cant use:
1) A peeping tom. A guy living in an apt and can see another apt through his window and he's just staring at someone who's undressing.
2)Suicide. A guy with a gun in his hands who doesnt realize how good his life REALLY is.

She says she cant use the second one because there's a disadvantage to suicide. I dont know. I dont really get the quote. Maybe it's taken out of text and that's why I can't understand.

Do you guys have any suggestions on what she can design on her poster? Or even know what it means? I know you guys are great at helping out or at least trying, so I gotta say THANKS, in advance.

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
haha...Snowy, thanks anyway. If you guys don't know what it means, please let me know too. I don't want to be alone on this. HAHAHAH

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
:new_Eyecrazy: I don't get it either. Are you sure she copied it right? I don't even really get the example the teacher gave.
What grade is this?

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Originally posted by nataliecmu@Feb 10 2005, 01:41 PM
One think I don't miss from school...vague assignments...

I'm not sure if I get it or not?!?! Does that make sense?

We know we should be cleaning our room but we have the advantage of the phone so forget to clean our room??  :new_Eyecrazy:
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=34650
[/QUOTE]

Yeah, that is what I was thinking too...but I wasn't sure...and I sure couldn't think of anymore off the bat! Good grief!
If I gave that to my seventh graders...I would have a TON of zeros!!!

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
I don't really get it either but this is how I broke it down. The quote is...

If you take out "with advantage" because there are commas around it, it says...

"We may at times forget the things we know."

And I assume the "with advantage" means we take advantage?

So maybe she could do something along the lines of Americans don't know that they got it so good.

Like have an American child eating a chocolate bar and then have a child from another country picking through the garbage pile.
That of course would have to be split screen. Have the American on the top and the other kid on the bottom.
Or if she wants to do it all in one picture she could skip the kid form another country and just use another American kid that doesn't have alot.
Like have a poor kid looking out his shack of a house window (or more extreme a box in an alley) at another kid their age playing a game boy advance SP as they walk by.

*edit: meaning of the poster.
We teach our children that there are others less fortunate and to be greatfull for what they have. So the children "know" that people less fortunate exist but they don't really take notice so they "forget" about the less fortunate.

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
She's in college. Graphic design is her major...just like MEE

FannyMay, that does sound like a great example. I'll pitch it to her. I'm trying to break the quote down, but the teacher's example sort of threw me off. But your example, FannyMay, sounds awesome. A kid practicing glutiny and maybe watching the news about the tsunami victims, or a child whose clothes are ragged and skinny to the bone--that is adding a little to your idea, plus lets you know what time we are in as of now.

Nataliecmu--I was thinking that the kid thinks that talking on the phone is an advantage as well...
I don't know lol.

Tlunn--I thought you might know LOL. If another teacher is confused....lol. My cousin said that each student have different quotes. She said everyone got simple quotes, she was the only one with this kind of quote. Maybe the teacher doesn't like her. PUAHAHAHA

Again, THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Originally posted by FannyMay@Feb 10 2005, 02:07 PM
I don't really get it either but this is how I broke it down.  The quote is...

So maybe she could do something along the lines of Americans don't know that they got it so good. 

Like have an American child eating a chocolate bar and then have a child from another country picking through the garbage pile.
That of course would have to be split screen.  Have the American on the top and the other kid on the bottom. 
Or if she wants to do it all in one picture she could skip the kid form another country and just use another American kid that doesn't have alot. 
Like have a poor kid looking out his shack of a house window (or more extreme a box in an alley) at another kid their age playing a game boy advance SP as they walk by.

We teach our children that there are others less fortunate and to be greatfull for what they have.  So the children "know" that people less fortunate exist but they don't really take notice so they "forget" about the less fortunate.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=34660
[/QUOTE]

:eek: Very good!!!! Excellent examples too!!!!

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Originally posted by ButterCloudandNoriko@Feb 10 2005, 02:53 PM
Tlunn--I thought you might know LOL.  If another teacher is confused....lol.  My cousin said that each student have different quotes.  She said everyone got simple quotes, she was the only one with this kind of quote.  Maybe the teacher doesn't like her. PUAHAHAHA

Again, THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=34663
[/QUOTE]

I am also on cold meds and fighting off the flu and stomach virus going rampant through our school...so I am not funtioning at 100%!

Maybe her teacher had high expectations for her!

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Originally posted by SNOWY@Feb 10 2005, 02:13 PM
Ok, Ok, without the commas it makes more sense. 
The examples are great.

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=34668
[/QUOTE]

HMMMM, maybe it's suppose to only have one comma and not 2. LOL I don't know. It really makes little difference to me hahah

Tlunn--AWWWWWWWWWWW I really hope you feel better. In Nashville, they closed down some school because of the cold/flu virus. GET WELL SOON. TAKE LOTS OF Nyquil or theraflu and lots of water too! TAKE CARE

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
I think that can have several meanings and sometimes ambiguity makes us think a little deeper than we ordinarily would.

For instance, I interpret that has meaning something like, I KNOW I have a big, fat pimple on my nose and it makes me very selfconscious. But, if I FORGET that I have it I can go right into that job interview with all the confidence I would normally have.

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
HAHAHAH So silly, Pico...

Anyway, she was thinking of designing a kid stealing a cookie from a cookie jar. I like Fannymay's idea better. But oh well.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Originally posted by ButterCloudandNoriko@Feb 10 2005, 08:48 PM
HAHAHAH  So silly, Pico...

Anyway, she was thinking of designing a kid stealing a cookie from a cookie jar.  I like Fannymay's idea better.  But oh well.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=34698
[/QUOTE]

Oh I like that idea too! The kid knows better but he's doing it anyway. That's great! More of a simple approach and you can understand it without an explanation.

·
Registered
7,486 Posts
COLLEGE!!!!! OK, I feel better now. I was thinking that if this was for elementary or middle school kids that things have REALLY changed! Sorry I can't help. I've been to Bunco and had a few glasses of wine. Good luck to your cousin.

S

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Originally posted by FannyMay+Feb 10 2005, 10:09 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-ButterCloudandNoriko
@Feb 10 2005, 08:48 PM
HAHAHAH  So silly, Pico...

Anyway, she was thinking of designing a kid stealing a cookie from a cookie jar.  I like Fannymay's idea better.  But oh well.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=34698
Oh I like that idea too! The kid knows better but he's doing it anyway. That's great! More of a simple approach and you can understand it without an explanation.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=34706
[/B][/QUOTE]

Originally posted by msmagnolia@Feb 10 2005, 10:24 PM
COLLEGE!!!!!  OK, I feel better now.  I was thinking that if this was for elementary or middle school kids that things have REALLY changed!  Sorry I can't help.  I've been to Bunco and had a few glasses of wine.  Good luck to your cousin.

S
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=34711
[/QUOTE]
FannyMay--Yeah, her idea is simple and I like it too. But your idea says alot more to it and that's why I like your idea. But it'll probably more simple and quicker for her to do the cookie jar bit.

Msmagnaolia--that is the kind of excuse I would give...Sorry, I'm drunk! LOL

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
Originally posted by FannyMay@Feb 10 2005, 01:07 PM
I don't really get it either but this is how I broke it down.  The quote is...

That of course would have to be split screen.  Have the American on the top and the other kid on the bottom. 

We teach our children that there are others less fortunate and to be greatfull for what they have.  So the children "know" that people less fortunate exist but they don't really take notice so they "forget" about the less fortunate.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=34660
[/QUOTE]
Wow, those are great ideas! Good Job!

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
I read this to my husband and he found this link. http://www.hyperdictionary.com/dictionary/advantage
In this sentence "advantage" is used as a noun so check out the definitions for noun.
So that would mean that the cookie jar scenario shouldn't work. The sentence means that the kid forgets but the kid doesn't forget that taking a cookie is wrong, he knows it's wrong. He is trying to get away with it.
Also "with" is a preposition so the situation has to be at the exact point where they are at the advantage. That is what we have been saying though with the examples. I just wanted to throw that out there too.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts