Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm writing this for two reasons: I failed to educate my own daughter properly about puppymills, brokers and bad breeders. I had urged her to go to the shelters to find a dog for the family but after a few visits she decided maybe her son was still too young for them to get a puppy and the time was just not right for them to give a puppy the attention and care it needs. So I kinda dropped my seminar on puppymills, etc.

Then, bang! I get a call last weekend that they went to some flea market or some such thing and this broker was selling 12, 24 and 26 week old Cocker puppies and she fell in love and brought the 12 week old home. I was just sick. Tuesday she took him to the vet and he has kennel cough and an ear infection but her vet said that otherwise he had been well cared for. Up to date on vaccines and no worms (the broker had had a fecal done the day before selling him). She said she got a list of his ancestry from pretty far back and was evidently impressed by all his BS.(Excuse me but con artists are con artists because they impress and inspire confidence) But, the deed is done, she is a good pet mom so he did get a good home, etc. etc. etc.

The second reason I am writing this is I have been googling for a Cocker website like SM and it is not to be found. It just brings to the forefront how fortunate we are that Joe has set this up for us and just how precious we all are to each other by the fact that we have developed this online community to share our experiences and expertise and ignorance with. :D

So I say it again and echo what others have said...."Thank you and way to go, Joe!"

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Originally posted by Pico's Parent@Nov 4 2004, 07:47 PM
I'm writing this for two reasons:  I failed to educate my own daughter properly about puppymills, brokers and bad breeders.  I had urged her to go to the shelters to find a dog for the family but after a few visits she decided maybe her son was still too young for them to get a puppy and the time was just not right for them to give a puppy the attention and care it needs.  So I kinda dropped my seminar on puppymills, etc.

Then, bang!  I get a call last weekend that they went to some flea market or some such thing and this broker was selling 12, 24 and 26 week old Cocker puppies and she fell in love and brought the 12 week old home.  I was just sick.  Tuesday she took him to the vet and he has kennel cough and an ear infection but her vet said that otherwise he had been well cared for.  Up to date on vaccines and no worms (the broker had had a fecal done the day before selling him).  She said she got a list of his ancestry from pretty far back and was evidently impressed by all his BS.(Excuse me but con artists are con artists because they impress and inspire confidence)  But, the deed is done, she is a good pet mom so he did get a good home, etc. etc. etc.

The second reason I am writing this is I have been googling for a Cocker website like SM and it is not to be found.  It just brings to the forefront how fortunate we are that Joe has set this up for us and just how precious we all are to each other by the fact that we have developed this online community to share our experiences and expertise and ignorance with. :D

So I say it again and echo what others have said...."Thank you and way to go, Joe!"

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=14939
[/QUOTE]

Well, I hope everything will be A-OK for your daughter's new puppy. It is indeed so hard to resist a puppy once he/she is in your arms! Like I said in another post, there is a great need to get info out on how to buy a puppy. I would guess that only a very tiny percentage of the population has a clue. I sure didn't until about a year ago.

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Originally posted by Kallie/Catchers Mom+Nov 4 2004, 07:14 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-Pico's Parent
@Nov 4 2004, 07:47 PM
I'm writing this for two reasons:  I failed to educate my own daughter properly about puppymills, brokers and bad breeders.  I had urged her to go to the shelters to find a dog for the family but after a few visits she decided maybe her son was still too young for them to get a puppy and the time was just not right for them to give a puppy the attention and care it needs.  So I kinda dropped my seminar on puppymills, etc.

Then, bang!  I get a call last weekend that they went to some flea market or some such thing and this broker was selling 12, 24 and 26 week old Cocker puppies and she fell in love and brought the 12 week old home.  I was just sick.  Tuesday she took him to the vet and he has kennel cough and an ear infection but her vet said that otherwise he had been well cared for.  Up to date on vaccines and no worms (the broker had had a fecal done the day before selling him).  She said she got a list of his ancestry from pretty far back and was evidently impressed by all his BS.(Excuse me but con artists are con artists because they impress and inspire confidence)  But, the deed is done, she is a good pet mom so he did get a good home, etc. etc. etc.

The second reason I am writing this is I have been googling for a Cocker website like SM and it is not to be found.  It just brings to the forefront how fortunate we are that Joe has set this up for us and just how precious we all are to each other by the fact that we have developed this online community to share our experiences and expertise and ignorance with. :D

Well, I hope everything will be A-OK for your daughter's new puppy. It is indeed so hard to resist a puppy once he/she is in your arms! Like I said in another post, there is a great need to get info out on how to buy a puppy. I would guess that only a very tiny percentage of the population has a clue. I sure didn't until about a year ago.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=14941
[/B][/QUOTE]

me either...

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
Originally posted by Kallie/Catchers Mom+Nov 4 2004, 06:14 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-Pico's Parent
@Nov 4 2004, 07:47 PM

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=14941
[/B][/QUOTE]

I totally agree with u kallie and catchers mom. We had no idea about buying puppies either until we finally decided we for sure wanted a puppy, and then finally got Caesar. Hopefully everything will be just fine. Poor babys its so unfortunante they are born in that kind of a home because they need love and affection just like any other little puppy out there.
I am glad he did go to your daughter Pico's parent, since she is a good pet mom.

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
The local flea market here in Raleigh, North Carolina was a haven for puppy brokers until recently. They were held every weekend in the nice weather and the brokers would rent a booth and pass off puppies they got from puppy mills as home bred. A local news channel finally did an expose and had stories of people who had been burned, like the woman who spent over $2,000 in vet bills only to lose her puppy to Parvo anyway. They finally stopped allowing people to sell live animals there, thank heavens.

Brokers and pet shops prey on people's emotions. It's hard to see a cute puppy face at a flea market or in a pet store and associate it with the filthy wire cage in a barn it probably was born in.

I'm glad your daughter's Cocker is healthy so far. I'm sure you lectured her big time after the deed was done. That's all you can do. If she has behavior problems (improperly bred Cockers can be pretty nasty) or health problems down the line, she learn...and hopefully educate others.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I will be meeting the puppy myself at Thanksgiving when I go up to see them. I did give her the puppymill web site and she's going to do a trace on Max to see where he came from. I don't expect good news.

When I see my own family buying from a broker after discussing puppymills with them I see how difficult a job it is to educate the public on this issue.

LadysMom, I just love Raleigh. I lived there for a year after high school in Fayetteville and I have a brother-in-law who lives there. In fact, I was there for a couple of days this summer enroute from Topsail back to Texas. I dream of retiring in N.C........imagine, 4 seasons!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts