Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My Maltese Finn came to live with me as a puppy last winter. Since we weren’t taking long walks and mainly going outside to use the bathroom, I started out with a regular leash. As he got older and we started walking more, I got him a nice harness. It seems to fit well, but he doesn’t come to me when I get it out. If I grab the old leash, he comes right away and I can switch to the harness. Has anyone else experienced this? He does seem to know the harness is for going out.

·
Registered
4,200 Posts
Yes, my poodle (sorry I keep using the poodles as examples!) does the same thing! He hates the harness, but he has to wear it if we're going on long walks for his and my safety. Some dogs are just more sensitive and don't like the feel of it on their body or the restriction, or simply having it put over their head. You could try a different style of harness--e.g., a step-in or one that is super lightweight. Also, you can train him to accept the one you have. Here is a video of how to go about doing so by one of my favorite dog trainers:

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you so much for your reply. It is one that was recommended to me by someone in Maltese rescue. It is soft mesh, fits over the back, and then it has Velcro fasteners at the neck and under the stomach. I think he may just need to get used to it. Once we’re walking he doesn’t seem to mind much.

·
Registered
4,200 Posts
You're welcome! I'm sure he will get used to it, especially if you use some of those desensitizing techniques offered by Kikopup :)

·
Premium Member
1,000 Posts
Very good advise from Elizabeth. Have you also tried using treats? After you put the harness on try giving Finn a treat and animated/cheerfully say "Good Boy" "Lets go for a walk" - Make it a fun experience and praise him a lot. Please keep us updated to your progress.
🐶 🐾🌻

·
Premium Member
4,896 Posts
I recommend foxypups on Etsy. Her harnesses are stepin harnesses made of silk. Quite kind to the hair. They are light weight. She is very nice and will answer questions or concerns you may have.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have used some of the suggestions from the video and comments that were made and we are making progress. Finn seems to be gradually getting used to the harness. Thank you!

·
Registered
4,200 Posts
Oh, what a wonderful update! Good job, Barb! :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts