Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
does anyone know the homemade formula recipe to feed her puppies as they dont like the regular formula they are 10 days old i have been up all night and day trying to hand feed them but they just cry the vet said because she had such a big litter it took her calcium so i have to hand feed them any help is so much appreciated snuggles07

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Originally posted by snuggles07@Apr 23 2005, 11:57 PM
does anyone know the homemade formula recipe to feed her puppies as they dont like the regular formula they are 10 days old i have been up all night and day trying to hand feed them but they just cry the vet said because she had such a big litter it took her calcium so i have to hand feed them any help is so much appreciated snuggles07
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=55841
[/QUOTE]

I wish I could help you. Does your vet not offer advice on things such as this?

We have a few members on here who might be able to help you. You might want to PM them:

AdorableAccentsandbows
JMM
LadyMontava
LucyLou
luvmymacy

There are others but these are the ones that come to mind that might be able to help.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Wow, I sure wish I knew what to tell you. Sounds like you are in for a rough time sweetie.

You might ask the vet if he knows of anyone who has a dog that has had a litter of puppies lately and might be willing to 'wet nurse' a couple of yours.
I tried to save some little poodle puppies once, only to have them die with pneumonia. Seems they got the milk into their lungs. I was very young then and didn't know the proper procedure.
So, I think another dog that might nurse some of the puppies would be perfect.
Good luck.
Keep us informed of their progress.

·
Registered
7,741 Posts
esbilac is the best alternative to the mother's milk...u can give goats milk but it is lacking in fat, carbs and protein...so u have to add supplements to that. i would ask ur vet for advice on how to get them to eat the esbilac. how are u giving in..like temperature, method of admisnistration, etc?

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
Esbilac or another puppy milk replacer is good for long-term supplementation. A lot of people also combine it with goat's milk.

I've heard that for little pups and kittens, preemie nibbles on baby bottles work quite well. I never liked the puppy/kitten bottles. If you are having trouble gettng them to take a bottle, you need to have your vet show you how to tube feed them. It is really important you are sure the tube gets in the stomach so you need to have the vet show you.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thank you to all that replied i am helping mom with calcium supplement nutri-cal and supplementing babies with formula mom and puppies are doing well thank you snuggles07

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Snuggles,

Glad things are going well...keep us posted as things continue to improve and thanks for all the hard work you are doing.

S

1 - 7 of 7 Posts