Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I do my best to buy and eat all natural and organic (non-GMO) foods and today was no exception. The reason being is that I sometimes share my snacks/food with Sophie. (Usually, human-grade food is higher quality than traditional animal food.)

Today, I had consumed apple sauce that I bought from Target (GoPicnicBrands, Inc). About 5 minutes of consuming it, I broke out in hives. My upper torso, back, crouch, arms, and hands had massive rashes that looked like welts (humongous blisters). Then, my face ballooned up. My entire body felt like it was on fire. I quickly took anti-histamine and the swelling subsided within minutes. I'm all better now.

I know for a fact that I do not have food allergies. I can eat organic apples, other fruits, and nuts without any issues.
This apple sauce was marketed as "all-natural". I'm extremely doubtful on this claim. It was probably GMO or had some kind of chemical inside.

I can't imagine what could've happened if I gave Sophie some of the apple sauce.

To my knowledge, there is no product recall.
Be careful eating GMO foods. It can cause very dangerous allergic reactions.

·
Premium Member
7,952 Posts
I'm so sorry this happened to you! All NATURAL pretty much means nothing. It doesn't say organic which is the important word. Natural just means it's food. They put this on labels to sell.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm so sorry this happened to you! All NATURAL pretty much means nothing. It doesn't say organic which is the important word. Natural just means it's food. They put this on labels to sell.
Exactly!
I could understand if this "all natural" was advertised on a topical cream or shampoo (which both can be washed off if causing allergic reactions), but when you label edible items this way, it is very misleading and potentially very hazardous.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts