Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
863 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This is Quipu, my first pet love. He has been my birdie love for more than 10 years now. He is a Black Headed Caique. I love him to pieces, I can't help but kiss his sweet birdie head over and over. But he hates the girls, Lily and Nadia. He wants to eat them, silly birdie. The girls are smart enough to ignore him.

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
Quipu is absolutely darling! He looks likes sweet as cake.. hehe :D

Edit: I double checked the pronunciation

"The accepted pronunciation is a variation of "kigh-eek" or "kah-eek." You will hear many other pronunciations ranging from "cake" to "kike"--ignore them."

I always loved these birds at the pet store and the employees always told me it was pronounced cake... Sad day.. but I learned something new! :)

·
Registered
936 Posts
Oh... he's gorgeous! And having studied Meso-Americans in college way back when in the Dark Ages (lol!), I love the name "Quipu" for a South American bird. :w00t: B)

·
Registered
863 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks everyone, I think he is beautiful too. When he makes his little sleepy birdie noises and he burrows underneath my shirt and falls asleep lying on his side by my clavicle, well I could JUST DIE. I also love that he is the only parrot that hops like a little sparrow, he reminds me of a windup toy. When I was traveling in the Amazon, I was lucky enough to see a White Breasted Caique (a cousin, with a yellow head) in the wild, it was a special moment. The pronunciation of Caique often throws people off, I was taught the first one that Miss Annie found. I highly recommend them to anyone considering a bird but they do require a lot of attention and interaction. Everyone have a great day!

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
OMG ... he is soooo gorgeous!!! :wub:

HUGz! Jules

·
Registered
389 Posts
What a beautiful bird! I've had birds for most of my life. They are so entertaining!! I've had Sophi, a Green Cheek Conure, for about 4 years. She (he?) flew into our backyard close to death.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts