Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to have her consider rescue. She is looking for a puppy who will be small when full grown. She doesnt want to spend alot of money. Can anyone send me some good websites or breeders? She doesnt really like the idea of rescue because many of the dogs are older and quite large. Ive been trying to find a rescue on petfinder that fits her wants but it is quite hard.

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
The majority of the Maltese who come into rescue never get posted on Petfinder. They have pre-approved homes waiting for them. If your friend is interested in rescue, she should fill out an application so she is all approved when that perfect Maltese for her family comes in.

Tell your friend that less expensive Maltese come from backyard breeders and puppy mills who are breeding Maltese who are very poor examples of the standard. Chances are good she will end up with a large adult if she gets a puppy from a BYB.

I'd advise to her either save her money for a puppy from a responsible breeder or investigate rescue.

There are some wonderful threads pinned in the Breeders section that can help your friend find a good breeder if that is what she decides to do.

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
uh oh. asking for references to breeders here with the conditions "doesn't want to spend a lot of money" and "no rescues" is asking for trouble. Maybe define what's "a lot of money"?

but good efforts on your part for trying to persuade her to adopt!

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
My advice would be to have her go through the AMA list, call the breeders close, and ask if they have any retirees. They have wonderful dogs that are a bit older and need an extra bit of patience.

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
My advice would be to have her go through the AMA list, call the breeders close, and ask if they have any retirees. They have wonderful dogs that are a bit older and need an extra bit of patience.

I think most show breeders prefer to place their retirees in a home that has experience with Maltese and has another one already.

·
Registered
13,404 Posts
There are several good breeders in Texas who may have a retiree available now or in the future. I think they don't have a problem placing in a home with no other maltese so they can be pampered. :)

·
Registered
389 Posts
I'd rather get a maltipoo than a poorly bred maltese. It's an expensive mutt and mutts are more healthy than the average pure bred (BYB). It probably won't be that small, though:(

·
Registered
13,404 Posts
Mutts are not necessarily more healthy. That's a myth. Sometimes we hear of a healthy one and think that's the norm. It isn't. Buying mixed breeds only perpetuates the breeding of more and many wind up in pounds when the cute puppy phase is over.

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
I'd rather get a maltipoo than a poorly bred maltese. It's an expensive mutt and mutts are more healthy than the average pure bred (BYB). It probably won't be that small, though:(
"Hybrid Vigor" is a myth spread around by breeders of designer dogs to justify the high prices. Reputable breeders do not mix breeds. Breeders who do are breeding poorly bred, non standard dogs so your odds are just as great of getting a dog with genetic conditions whether it is a Maltipoo or poorly bred Maltese.

Hybrid Vigor

Designer Genes?!

·
Premium Member
5,785 Posts
I found Annie on Petfinder and she is 5 lbs and is a great Maltese. Sophie is a maltipoo and is quite large and getting bigger. I'm also waiting on test results to find out if she has Cushings - something is definitely going on - so mutts aren't always healthier.

People tell me all the time that Annie is their favorite! I can't believe they actually tell me that, but they do. lol

I'd advise her to contact some rescues, her local shelters, and keep checking out Petfinder. You never know when you will find the perfect pup like I did.

ETA: Annie was six months old when she joined our family - so malts on Petfinder are NOT always old dogs!

Linda

·
Premium Member
3,650 Posts
Mutts are not necessarily more healthy. That's a myth. Sometimes we hear of a healthy one and think that's the norm. It isn't. Buying mixed breeds only perpetuates the breeding of more and many wind up in pounds when the cute puppy phase is over.

Because of population bottlenecks, inbreeding, founder effect, etc. of purebred dogs, right now genetics are on the side of mutts being healthier overall.

This is a lengthy report and is a little slow to show on the screen, but this report explains why:

http://breedinginquiry.files.wordpress.com/2010/01/final-dog-inquiry-120110.pdf

Edited to Add: If you don't want to read the entire report, start on page 15, "Genetics and Inbreeding".

·
Registered
10,733 Posts
Not to be mean but why do people always want to "not spend a lot of money but want a small dog",usually an expensive breed? Makes me crazy. They want a lot ,for nothing. I hope she looks towards rescues,so many tiny little ,cute little Malts,for a little or nominal adoption fee.

·
Registered
13,404 Posts
Because of population bottlenecks, inbreeding, founder effect, etc. of purebred dogs, right now genetics are on the side of mutts being healthier overall.

This is a lengthy report and is a little slow to show on the screen, but this report explains why:

http://breedinginquiry.files.wordpress.com/2010/01/final-dog-inquiry-120110.pdf

Edited to Add: If you don't want to read the entire report, start on page 15, "Genetics and Inbreeding".
Joy, we've had this discussion before and someone else posted a very indepth article on the opposite.

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
Not to be mean but why do people always want to "not spend a lot of money but want a small dog",usually an expensive breed? Makes me crazy. They want a lot ,for nothing. I hope she looks towards rescues,so many tiny little ,cute little Malts,for a little or nominal adoption fee.
You are right! And they want the the most sought after dog, young, small, pretty, for a "bargain price".

·
Premium Member
20,031 Posts
Sorry, we can't help. I believe the new rules say we can't say anything about breeders we haven't had personal experience with. So all i can say is, try calling Bonnie Palmer, I got Ava from her. Maybe she'll have a retiree.....I honestly don't know though. Good luck. My other dogs came from puppy mills and a byb.

·
Registered
10,733 Posts
You are right! And they want the the most sought after dog, young, small, pretty, for a "bargain price".
Makes me mad and sad. There are so ,many in rescue that are beautiful and just amazing,I will always go that way since so many are in need. I bought from a breeder once,it was a good experience but I've done a lot of rescue and have always been blessed by those special little souls and I don't feel they're "lesser" than the ones I spent a lot on.
I just love all fluffs,big,small ,old ,young,whole or missing a few "parts". They're all big on love,that's what I look for.:wub:

·
Premium Member
4,225 Posts
I think most show breeders prefer to place their retirees in a home that has experience with Maltese and has another one already.
I place retires in homes that the new owner doesn't have experience with Maltese. You teach them about the dog they are getting. I actually would rather place one into a home by itself. More lap for them. :)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts