Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw this pup today and she is SO cute.

She definetely looks more shih than malt...but still cute!

I tried to convince my friend that she was too young to be taken from her momma. She is going to be 6 weeks this weekend, and she will get to take her home then if all checked out well at the vet today.

She took her to the vet to have her checked out b/c supposedly her back leg muscles aren't completely developed yet and she has what they call "swimmer's legs"....does that sound familiar to anyone?

When you set her on the ground to walk, he back legs go out like frogs, and she has some trouble walking. Supposedly, from what my friend has researched, this is supposed to correct itself by 8-10 weeks. She was hoping the vet would give her some more answers today.

Anyway, she was sure a cutie...but probably not great lines/breeding...and evidently the family didn't know much who had the litter either. She is only $50...and if all checks out well at the vet, I hope she is all she wants her to be.
She sure was a doll and snuggled up so close to me. I wondered if she missed her momma and littermate today.

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
I've never heard of the swimmer's legs before, but I hope that everything checks out well for your friend and her little baby. You gotta show us some pics too

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Gosh, six weeks.... so very young.... Good for you for trying to convince her not to take her away at such a young age. It makes me sad....

Maybe the vet will suggest that the little one stays at the breeder's for a little longer until her legs are stronger.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Baby Gizmo is Maltese/Shih Tzu mix. His daddy is Shih Tzu and his mommy is a Maltese. The people I got him from told me he was a Shih Tzu. The vet told me he was a Maltese. The people I got him from thought that both the dogs were of the same breed. They thought they had a rare white Shih Tzu.
I paid $75.00 for him and he is worth every pennie I spent on him. Luckily he has had no serious problems. I have never heard of swimmer's legs. I didn't get mine until he was 4 months old. He was the runt of the bunch and was very attached to his mother.

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
I think your friend is being taken. I goggled "swimmer's legs" in dogs and came up with nothing!

I would be concerned that this puppy has some muscular disease or even a neurological problem. "Only $50" could easily turn into $5,000 if this puppy has a serious problem, not to mention the heartbreak it would put your friend through.

I sure hope she talks to her vet first.

·
Premium Member
13,652 Posts
Originally posted by LadysMom@Sep 20 2005, 08:54 AM
I think your friend is being taken. I goggled "swimmer's legs" in dogs and came up with nothing!

I would be concerned that this puppy has some muscular disease or even a neurological problem. "Only $50" could easily turn into $5,000 if this puppy has a serious problem, not to mention the heartbreak it would put your friend through.

I sure hope she talks to her vet first.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=101343
[/QUOTE]

I am inclined to agree with you LadysMom, it sounds like this little puppy could have something more serious like even a spinal injury that the breeder isn't prepared to pay for repair. Even though the puppy is so sweet and cute and I might add it is such a shame, I would be having a very thorough vet check before even thinking of taking her and at six weeks of age she is not even near ready to leave her mom.
I just hope and pray that if your friend decides to take the puppy now that all turns out well and the leg situation indeed does rectify itself, but I am thinking there is something in the back of my mind there could be something more to it.
I wish your friend luck.

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
I finally found something and, just as I suspected, it's not good. It's apparently called "Swimming Puppy Syndrome" and is a deformity that effects the whole body, not just the legs. Puppies don't just outgrow it by 8-10 weeks. In fact, this article states that many of these puppies don't survive longer than 8 weeks.

If you read this article, the author states that she strongly suspects it is genetic and the parents should not be bred again. Your friend should pass this information on to her friend.

As you say, the family who had this litter didn't know much. I get so upset (as most of you know!) when ignorant people breed their pet shop/puppy mill/BYB dogs and produce something like this. As if that weren't bad enough, then try to pass the problem on to an unsuspecting person who will have their heart broken.

http://www.lowchensaustralia.com/breeding/swimmers.htm

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Originally posted by LadysMom@Sep 20 2005, 01:55 PM
I finally found something and, just as I suspected, it's not good. It's apparently called "Swimming Puppy Syndrome" and is a deformity that effects the whole body, not just the legs. Puppies don't just outgrow it by 8-10 weeks. In fact, this article states that many of these puppies don't survive longer than 8 weeks.

If you read this article, the author states that she strongly suspects it is genetic and the parents should not be bred again. Your friend should pass this information on to her friend.

As you say, the family who had this litter didn't know much. I get so upset (as most of you know!) when ignorant people breed their pet shop/puppy mill/BYB dogs and produce something like this. As if that weren't bad enough, then try to pass the problem on to an unsuspecting person who will have their heart broken.

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=101490
[/QUOTE]

Oh, that is just so sad. I totally 1000% agree with your statement: "I get so upset (as most of you know!) when ignorant people breed their pet shop/puppy mill/BYB dogs and produce something like this. As if that weren't bad enough, then try to pass the problem on to an unsuspecting person who will have their heart broken."

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Originally posted by LadysMom@Sep 20 2005, 01:55 PM

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=101490
[/QUOTE]

Oh, that is just so sad. I totally 1000% agree with your statement: "I get so upset (as most of you know!) when ignorant people breed their pet shop/puppy mill/BYB dogs and produce something like this. As if that weren't bad enough, then try to pass the problem on to an unsuspecting person who will have their heart broken."

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, she took her to the vet yesterday and the vet was not worried about her legs. She took her out in the grass and she seemed to do fine for the vet. She said she had circulation back there and everything else checked out fine.
I am still worried about her...but of course my friend thinks I am being
. I think she is tired of listening to me and my protective ways.

I just pray that all works out and that she and her daughter aren't left saddened someday.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts