Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
She's had him since June and he's had kennel cough, so the vet says, ever since July. She's had to take him back to the vet on numerous occasions. She's given him some kid's medicine (can't remember the name) but to no avail. She told me just a little while ago that he's coughing ALOT and she's really worried. She thinks he has some type of respitory infection. Anyhoo, I asked her if the vet was recommended by the pet store (she didn't know the horrors of the ps before she purchased her pup) and if so, she should seek someone else.

What do you think is wrong with her little guy? I've very concerned because I thought the coughing finally stopped.

Any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you much.

·
Registered
7,741 Posts
besides coughing, is the puppy acting fine? is there certain times the puppy is coughing? is the cough brought on by anything? its really hard to say the cause w/o seeing the dog...might need antibiotics...and if the pup has been on them, maybe thhe pup wasnt on them for a long enough time. she could always seek the advice of another vet. good luck

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
Your friend should take her puppy back to her vet. Just like with people, coughs, colds, etc. can lead to infections in the respiratory tract that require antibiotics. His symptoms should get better, not worse, as time goes by.

Will the pet shop reimburse her for the vet bills?

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for your prompt responses.
LMon - I am asking her the questions you posted.
LMom - The petstore referred her to the vet, i told her to seek another vet ASAP. I dont know if the ps will reimburse her.

·
Registered
2,942 Posts
Originally posted by Violet's Mom@Aug 18 2005, 12:20 PM
She's had him since June and he's had kennel cough, so the vet says, ever since July.  She's had to take him back to the vet on numerous occasions.  She's given him some kid's medicine (can't remember the name) but to no avail.  She told me just a little while ago that he's coughing ALOT and she's really worried.  She thinks he has some type of respitory infection.  Anyhoo, I asked her if the vet was recommended by the pet store (she didn't know the horrors of the ps before she purchased her pup) and if so, she should seek someone else.

What do you think is wrong with her little guy?  I've very concerned because I thought the coughing finally stopped.

Any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you much.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=91809
[/QUOTE]

I have a friend who is taking care of some pups from a big breeder. These pups came to her with a bad cough. Her vet found that they have something like coccidiosis in the lungs. It's actually pneumonia, and she will be treating them for three or four weeks before they can be adopted. The pups ingested the coccidiosis "bug" through their lungs. It, apparently was in dust somewhere so this could happen. The vet told her the difference in the cough was that this was a "wet" cough, as opposed to a dry one like kennel cough. She is treating with Flagil and Albon, per her vet's instructions. Since I would imagine coccidiosis is prevelent in pet store pups, it could be a possibility here.
From your standpoint with Dash, if I understand coccidiosis correctly, her pup would shed some of the "bug". He/She could build up a resistance, but might still be a carrier. You would need to watch having Dash at her house or where this pup might have been. I'm not sure about this, so I'll ask my vet, and you can do the same.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks LL for your response (i actually read it to her). Before all this KC stuff, we thought about the pups getting together and such but now since I know I know, I have absolutely no intention of them hooking up. She said the same thing to me.

·
Registered
7,741 Posts
when i was on my externternship we saw petland puppies, and they seemed to get pneumonia a lot. so a vet might need chest xrays to see the extent of it.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Originally posted by LadyMontava@Aug 18 2005, 01:25 PM
besides coughing, is the puppy acting fine?  is there certain times the puppy is coughing?  is the cough brought on by anything?  its really hard to say the cause w/o seeing the dog...might need antibiotics...and if the pup has been on them, maybe thhe pup wasnt on them for a long enough time.  she could always seek the advice of another vet.  good luck
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=91814
[/QUOTE]

She said other than the cough, he's been fine BUT she hasn't been able to bathe him or really run around with him like she'd like to.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have great news!

She took him to another vet (diagnosed kennel cough) who put him on antibiotics. He hasn't coughed in a few days.

·
Registered
7,741 Posts
glad hes not coughing..hope he improved 100% this time

1 - 14 of 14 Posts