Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

My Granddaughter With Me ...

1K views 39 replies 30 participants last post by  Snowball Pie's Mommi 
#1 · (Edited)
Ashley spent the weekend and the days right before Thanksgiving with us. I cannot believe that she will be eighteen years old in February. She and I (and, her Pop-Pop, too) are very close.

As most of you know, we have paid for Ashley's college education in advance. When I received an inheritance from my father, this was my first wish for how I wanted to spend some of the money. Ashley's commitment has been to do the best that she can do in school. Throughout the years, she has kept that commitment and has consistently been on the honor roll.

Ashley will be going off to college in 2011. She plans to become a physical therapist. So, she will be attending college beyond four years ... probably six or seven years ... in order to receive her doctorate in Physical Therapy.

I think she is such a beautiful young lady ... inside and out. I find it amazing that at her age ... she still loves to spend time with us.

This is not the best picture of me ... blame it on the MS and being sixty-six (ouch, that hurts!) ... but, I cherish the pictures of me and Ashley together. Ashley is one of my Earth Angels.

See less See more
#6 ·
Awww ... thank you, Kelly. :tender:

Marie, you look amazing! I love this picture and I think Ashley is a beautiful young woman. I love this picture of you both.
It sounds like Ashley has a very good start on life with your help. She's lucky to have such loving grandparents.
Thank you, Jane. :tender: Ashley is so appreciative with us being able to help her. As her grandmother, I have always taught her the importance of paying it forward ... especially when good things happen to us. She will go a long long way in helping others ... in fact, she already is doing that.

Oh Marie your picture brought tears to my eyes, I know how much you love Ashley, she is beautiful you can see in her smile her inner beauty. I think she looks abit like grandma. I hope you frame that picture, you look beautiful and I know first hand your beautiful inside as well.
Gosh wish my granddson could meet Ashley, bet they would hit it off, he's going to be 19 in Jan, he is in his first year of college, never dated and has a heart of gold.
Thank you so much, Paula. :smootch: Yes, that would be lovely if Ashley and your grandson could meet one day. For as beautiful as Ashley is ... she has never dated either. Guys are interested in her ... that I know for sure. (I read FB ... LOL) But, I'm happy that she is not rushing anything.

And, yes, I think I will frame that picture. :yes:

Marie, that is such a beautiful picture of you and Ashley. You can just see the closeness between the two of you.
Thank you, Lynne. :tender: She cracks me up though ... because she loves to make funny faces every once in a while when Felix is trying to take our picture. I threaten her that I will put those pictures on FB ... but, of course, she always says ... "That's okay with me!" LOL

#4 ·
Oh Marie your picture brought tears to my eyes, I know how much you love Ashley, she is beautiful you can see in her smile her inner beauty. I think she looks abit like grandma. I hope you frame that picture, you look beautiful and I know first hand your beautiful inside as well.
Gosh wish my granddson could meet Ashley, bet they would hit it off, he's going to be 19 in Jan, he is in his first year of college, never dated and has a heart of gold.

#17 ·
Thank you for the lovely compliments, Sue. :tender: I would rather help give a child the gift of an education more than any other kind of gift.

oh that is a GRAND picture. the two of you look so lovely together and the picture is full of love. you honestly look like mother & daughter, not GRANDma and daughter. phew on the 60!

I can not even imagine how proud you are of your granddaughter. (and she of you!)... beeing not only beautiful but clever and so full of plans and energy. bravo!

thank you very much for sharing this very private picture & story.
all my love to you. and sooo many healthy years full of joy,love and success.

:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:
Awww ... thank you soooo much, Becky. :tender:

The very last time Ashley sat on Santa's lap in our mall (that was several years ago now!!) Santa thought she was my daughter. Santa was asking Ashley what she would like for Christmas. Ashley said she could not think of anything that she wanted! She told Santa that she just wanted to drop by and say "Hello" to him! Santa looked at Ashley with confusion (because most kids have a list!) and than he looked at me. Then he said ... "Well, I guess we're going to ask Ashley to leave a list with you, Mommy ... so that I can put something special under the Christmas tree for Ashley." I later realized that Ashley really went to visit Santa, for me ... so that I could have her picture taken with Santa. :wub: (I was taking pictures, too!) She never told me that, but, I just knew. That's how thoughtful and sweet she is. :wub:

I am blessed, Becky, to have a granddaughter who is so much like you, especially in the way how you treat and adore your own grandparents. :tender:

Sending lots of love back to you, Becky. Hugs, too. Please give Heini lots of kisses and hugs from his Auntie Marie. :wub::wub::wub:

#8 ·
oh that is a GRAND picture. the two of you look so lovely together and the picture is full of love. you honestly look like mother & daughter, not GRANDma and daughter. phew on the 60!

I can not even imagine how proud you are of your granddaughter. (and she of you!)... beeing not only beautiful but clever and so full of plans and energy. bravo!

thank you very much for sharing this very private picture & story.
all my love to you. and sooo many healthy years full of joy,love and success.

:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

#9 ·
Marie

You and Ashley both look GREAT! I know how you feel as I too have a grandaughter named Monique whom I just simply ADORE she is 11 and came into my life after a GREAT tragedy.

I always tell her that she is the 1 and only person in my life that gives me butterflies in my stomach!!!

You are a VERY pretty lady so I say, THIS PICTURE is a KEEPER!

Thanks for sharing Ashley with me!!!!

#18 ·
You and Ashley both look GREAT! I know how you feel as I too have a grandaughter named Monique whom I just simply ADORE she is 11 and came into my life after a GREAT tragedy.

I always tell her that she is the 1 and only person in my life that gives me butterflies in my stomach!!!

You are a VERY pretty lady so I say, THIS PICTURE is a KEEPER!

Thanks for sharing Ashley with me!!!!
Thank you so much, Barbara, for the lovely compliments. :tender:

I love it, about the butterflies in your stomach! I get so excited when Ashley is staying with us, too. I always tell her that no matter how I feel ... she lights up my life. Ashley is an Earth Angel to me.

OMG, 66 - I would have NEVER, EVER guessed that age - holy smokes Marie, you are stunning - and look at Miss Ashley - she has gentle, kind eyes just like you!

Ashley is beautiful!

I LOVE this photo!
Thank you, Allie! :tender:

But, as I always say ... you should see me when I wake up in the morning. LOL And, alas, I have weight to lose ... again. :( I'm like Oprah in that way.

My mother never looked her age, too. I guess it's genetic. I love telling the story how a hair salon asked what color I use on my hair. I don't know why ... but, I still have my natural color hair. There are a few gray strands there ... but, I pluck them out! :HistericalSmiley: Anyway, I expect to wake up one morning with all gray hair and lots of wrinkles. I rather have gray hair and wrinkles any day ... than aches and pains. :yes:

Ashley is a natural beauty. She doesn't wear a lot of make-up and still looks so pretty.

#19 · (Edited)
Thank you so much. :tender:

What a beautiful picture of you and Ashley, you are both gorgeous ladies. :)
Thank you so much, Debbie. :tender:

Marie, you are as BEAUTIFUL outside as you are inside!!!! That photo is a treasure and it does speak volumes about you that she enjoys spending so much time with you guys...smart kiddo!!! xoxoxox Thanks for sharing that treasure!
Thank you, Eileen. :tender:She has her own room here ... so, this is her second home. When her parents separated (she was only four years old) she lived with us for a while. So, she's gone from a toddler castle bed here ... to a grown-up bed.

Marie, you are BEAUTIFUL and so is your granddaughter! What a wonderful picture. I love that you have such a close relationship with her...I have always been close to my grandparents too. I'm sure she cherishes all the time spent with you and the relationship she has with you.
Thank you, Nida. :tender:I was close to my grandparents, too. I remember when Ashley was an infant and I was sitting holding her in a rocking chair. I looked into her eyes and was thinking ... "Ashley, I pray that I can be the best grandmother to you, as I thought my grandmother was to me." As soon as that thought was finished ... and, while still looking at my granddaughter ... Ashley gave me the warmest smile. At that moment, I felt as though it was my grandmother sending me her love through Ashley's eyes and smile.

Your photo is beautiful and it is wonderful that you all are so close. It's great that Ashley has goals already and doing so well in school.
Thank you, Brenda. :tender: I think maybe Ashley has decided to become a physical therapist because she has gone with me to some of my physical therapy appointments and has been inspired with what she sees. She has seen how far I came after an exacerbation with the MS ... and, all the wonderful and fun treatments I receive. Some painful, yes ... but, more fun than painful. That's saying a lot about my physical therapist and assistants.

That's a darling pic of the two of you. Granddaughters are wonderful. Did I mention I'd love to have one! (grumbling..boys, boys, boys)
Thank you, Brit. :tender:I can understand that you would love to have a granddaughter. Maybe some day? Or, hey, you could adopt a granddaughter. : )

#14 ·
Marie, you are BEAUTIFUL and so is your granddaughter! What a wonderful picture. I love that you have such a close relationship with her...I have always been close to my grandparents too. I'm sure she cherishes all the time spent with you and the relationship she has with you.

#27 ·
Thank you for all of the wonderful compliments, Jeanne. :tender: I think a lot of women my age ... and, a lot older, look great. There are a lot of great products on the market that are affordable to almost every woman. And, what I think is wonderful ... is that a woman does not have to go under the knife to *enhance her beauty* : )

#21 ·
This is such a beautiful picture of both of you! This should be framed and proudly displayed! How wonderful of you to pay for Ashley's college. She is a very lucky young lady and I wish her all the best in college. I know she will make you even prouder! It's so nice to see grandchildren who have a close relationship with their grandparents. It's such a special bond.

#28 ·
Thank you, Lori. :tender: Since so many people think I should frame this picture I will. You should see all of the pictures I already have framed of us! We need to have a ballroom just to display all of our many photos! LOL

Beautiful pic of two beautiful ladies.:wub:
Thank you so much, Crystal. :tender: I have always thought you are beautiful. :yes:

Wow, this is a very beautiful photo of you and your granddaughter Ashley, Marie!
Compliments, you both look gorgeous, but I have to admit that I didn't know you're in the 60th!

You must be very proud on Ashley, she has great plans for her future!

Alexandra :wub:
Awww ... thank you so much, Alexandra! :tender: Hugs for you and Ullana.

Uh oh, here comes one of those SM controversies :angry: You see 66 and MS and I see a gorgeous, "could be in her 40's", wonderful woman who looks as good on the outside as she is sweet on the inside. SO THERE!! Come on, let's start calling each other names...Sexy Grandma!!!:smrofl::smrofl:
Your granddaughter is absolutely adorable. She'll be a heart breaker, for sure. I think she looks a lot like you, Marie. You are giving her such a gift, beyond the material gift of financing her education. You are giving her a shining example of how to show compassion, value education and embody love and caring. She's one lucky young lady and I think you and Felix are very lucky grandparents to have her in your life. And I've got a handsome 20-year-old son... Oh no, this is sounding like a dating service.:HistericalSmiley::HistericalSmiley: You must frame it because you both look absolutely beautiful.:wub:
Thank you, Sue. :tender: Your words are bringing tears to my eyes. You have such a wonderful and caring heart. And, I LOVE your sense of humor ... you are too funny! :HistericalSmiley:

As for the MS ...
Video: But You Look So Well? : National MS Society
Many times I didn't use the handicapped space because I thought people would judge me on how I looked. That is, until I fell one day. I'm the perfect example of a person who might not look as though they are really in need of the handicapped space.

Now about your son? Hmmm. So, he is handsome and only twenty. Send me his resume ... :HistericalSmiley:

Thank you, again, Sue, for your support and lovely compliments. I wub's you. :smootch:

#23 ·
Wow, this is a very beautiful photo of you and your granddaughter Ashley, Marie!
Compliments, you both look gorgeous, but I have to admit that I didn't know you're in the 60th!

You must be very proud on Ashley, she has great plans for her future!

Alexandra :wub:

#24 ·
Uh oh, here comes one of those SM controversies :angry: You see 66 and MS and I see a gorgeous, "could be in her 40's", wonderful woman who looks as good on the outside as she is sweet on the inside. SO THERE!! Come on, let's start calling each other names...Sexy Grandma!!!:smrofl::smrofl:
Your granddaughter is absolutely adorable. She'll be a heart breaker, for sure. I think she looks a lot like you, Marie. You are giving her such a gift, beyond the material gift of financing her education. You are giving her a shining example of how to show compassion, value education and embody love and caring. She's one lucky young lady and I think you and Felix are very lucky grandparents to have her in your life. And I've got a handsome 20-year-old son... Oh no, this is sounding like a dating service.:HistericalSmiley::HistericalSmiley: You must frame it because you both look absolutely beautiful.:wub:

#25 ·
Honestly, after your opening apologies for the way you look....I look down at the picture and I see two young girls! I am NOT kidding when I say that it took me a minute to even be a little bit sure who was the grandma and who was the grandchild. I could only HOPE to look as good as you at 66! I've got alot more wrinkles than YOU do and I'm still in my 50's. And that's the honest truth! You GO! You are both beautiful!

#31 ·
You've left me speechless with all of your lovely compliments! Thank you so much. :tender: Oh, and I am not wrinkle free. LOL

oh Marie you BOTH look SUPER PRETTY!!! and I aint kidding !!! LOVE this picture! so VERY beautiful!!!

I think that you gotta frame that ;)

hugs
Kat
Awww ... thank you, sweet Kat! :tender: I will frame it. Hugs back to you, Crystal, and Snowy.

Marie, I absolutely LOVE this picture of you both. You are so pretty and I can see where your beautiful granddaughter gets her good genes. It's so nice that you are still close with your granddaughter. I'm sure she will always want to make you proud of her. You are a good Grandma!:chili:

I was wondering that myself recently...I am very close to my 10 year old granddaughter and pray we stay close when she's older. So you and your granddaughter give me hope. :)
Thank you, Dianne. :tender: I think if you are very close to your granddaughter now ... she will still be close to you as she grows up. Just continue to be there for her and love her. :tender:

Yes Marie, you and your grandaughter are lovely in this picture. Oh my god you look very young...no way 66....more like 39...
Thank you so much.:tender: I remember when I was thirty-nine and I thought turning forty was old! Oh, dear ... it's all relative.

#29 ·
Marie, I absolutely LOVE this picture of you both. You are so pretty and I can see where your beautiful granddaughter gets her good genes. It's so nice that you are still close with your granddaughter. I'm sure she will always want to make you proud of her. You are a good Grandma!:chili:

I was wondering that myself recently...I am very close to my 10 year old granddaughter and pray we stay close when she's older. So you and your granddaughter give me hope. :)

#34 ·
beautiful pic , u n ur granddaughter are beautiful, how great that she has her goals set up. n u young lady dont look ur age !!!
Ashley spent the weekend and the days right before Thanksgiving with us. I cannot believe that she will be eighteen years old in February. She and I (and, her Pop-Pop, too) are very close.

As most of you know, we have paid for Ashley's college education in advance. When I received an inheritance from my father, this was my first wish for how I wanted to spend some of the money. Ashley's commitment has been to do the best that she can do in school. Throughout the years, she has kept that commitment and has consistently been on the honor roll.

Ashley will be going off to college in 2011. She plans to become a physical therapist. So, she will be attending college beyond four years ... probably six or seven years ... in order to receive her doctorate in Physical Therapy.

I think she is such a beautiful young lady ... inside and out. I find it amazing that at her age ... she still loves to spend time with us.

This is not the best picture of me ... blame it on the MS and being sixty-six (ouch, that hurts!) ... but, I cherish the pictures of me and Ashley together. Ashley is one of my Earth Angels.

#37 ·
Thank you, Liza! LOL (I'm on my I-pad and can't get the emoticons to work)
Several months ago, I was at the deli counter at our supermarket when a young guy said ... "I will be right with you, Miss" I haven't been called Miss in years! Talk about making my day ... LOL. I'm sure the young man met Ma'am ... But, that's okay. LOL

As for Ashley, I cannot believe that next year at this time she will be in college. I am so proud of her!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.