Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My grandma hasn't been doing good for the last month and a half. It all started around Halloween when her right foot got really swollen. The nursing home treated it by wrapping it. We weren't that concerned because it has happened in the past (she has diabetes). About a week before Thanksgiving she got a blister on her other foot and it popped. So when I saw her Thanksgiving weekend she had both feet wrapped. We noticed she seemed really spacy and seemed warm. The nurse took her temp and she had a fever. We asked to have a doctor look at her on Monday.

On the 6th she went to the doctor and they ended up admitting her to the hospital. The blister on her foot was infected. Again we weren't that concerned because of her diabetes she has had sores before that didn't want to heal and had to go into the hospital for a few days.

Well we soon started to worry because they said she had gangrene and the doctor wanted to remove her foot. My dad was like heck no and we got a second opinion. This doctor said she thought it was pre-gangrene and she was going to try and treat it before they even thought of removing her foot. They later changed there mind and said it was a staph infection she had gotten through her nose (
) She got better and they sent her back to the nursing home early this week.

Now they are saying she has Methicillin Resistant Staphylococcus Aureus (aka MRSA). It is a form of staph infection that doesn't respond well to antibiotics. She has been in SEVERE pain for the last week and the dang doctor that is treating her refuses to give her anything besides tylenol. Anytime anyone tries to touch her she starts to scream from the pain. She has hit the nurses a few times. She has never done that before. We finally got sick of argueing with him and my dad asked for Hospice to come. They met with my parents this morning. They are going to keep grandma comfortable so she doesn't kill any nurses. They are pretty sure her body is shutting down. They said as a person is dying - they stop eatting certain foods. Meat is the first to go. She stopped eating meat a week or so ago. The last food item to go is fresh fruits. She ate some watermelon last week - this week none.

They also said that a doctor told them that another indicator is a type of protein test. If it's 2.5 or lower - time will be real short. The beginning of December grandma's was 3.4. Not realy sure what that means. But time is running short.

We are hoping now that the pain is getting treated she will improve some but that might only be wishful thinking.

·
Registered
404 Posts
I am so sorry about your Grandma. If you need anyone to talk to, feel free to pm me or post. My aunt has been in and out of the hospital for the past month or so and they said she was dying and wouldn't live past Thanksgiving and she is still here and she is back in a nursing home instead of ICU. Sometimes the diagnosis is right but the outcome is wrong. I don't know what else to say but just hang in there, ok.

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
I'm so sorry to hear about your grandmother. I can imagine how stressful it is to worry about her and to want her not to be in pain, etc. Hospice is a wonderful organization; hopefully they will be successful in keeping her comfortable.

·
Premium Member
13,652 Posts
I am so sorry to hear about your Grandmother, hopefully the hospice can keep her comfortable and free of pain. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family

·
Premium Member
24,173 Posts
I have used Hospice with both of my parents, they are so compassionate, and they will help control the pain your grandma is going through. They will be a real help tp your family. I am sorry this has had to happen during the Hoildays, I send you my prayers and thoughts.

·
Registered
7,486 Posts
I am so sorry to hear that your Grandmother is doing poorly. We are here for you, when you need to talk, cry, or vent. I will hope for the best possible outcome...

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Big hugs!!!!!

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
I'm so glad your dad got an second opinion regarding your grandma's leg .
I'm so sorry your grandma is going through so much. I will keep her and your family in my prayers.

·
Registered
5,656 Posts
I'm sorry to hear about your grandma. It sounds like she is in better hands now that Hospice has stepped in. Please know that she is in my thoughts and prayers.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
I am sorry to hear about your Grandma's suffering and hope that she can be comfortable again soon. This must be really hard for you all.

·
Registered
2,801 Posts
Kristi, I am so sorry to hear about your Grandma. Please know that you and your family are in my thoughts and prayers, big
s' to you.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Please know that your grandmother and entire family will be in my prayers. I will be asking for God to provide everyone the comfort needed during this turmulous time.

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Grandma seems to be doing a little better now that the pain is undercontrol. My uncle was able to get her to eat something last night (not sure what). I haven't heard anything yet today.

I can't wait until next Friday when I get to go home. My mom and I will be going up to the nursing home Saturday morning to see her.

I almost went home this weekend but my parents told me not too since I'm going home next weekend and wee be home for 9 days. If something changes and I she gets worse they said they will let me know. My mom doesn't want me to remember her the way she is now. I guess she is really out of it. Times like this I wish I lived closer to home (I'm 3.5hrs away).

P

·
0 Posts
I'm so sorry to hear about your Grandma but glad to hear she is doing a little better. I went through something very similar 2 years ago with my grandfather. He was also diabetic and had an infection in his foot. I'll keep you and your grandma in my thoughts and prayers.

·
Registered
4,856 Posts
Sorry to hear about your grandma. You and your family will be in my prayers.

·
Registered
802 Posts
Sorry to hear about your grandma, our thoughts are with you.

·
Registered
552 Posts
I am very sorry to hear about your grandmother. I will keep her in my prayers.
Hospice is great and will help you all they can. My husband and I went through this with his mother and she is doing a lot better these days, with your grandmother doing better could be a good sign.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts