Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
Can you feel her ribs at all? If she's 18 wks and 5 lbs, she's going to be a big baby!

·
Registered
994 Posts
Originally posted by Kaley@Oct 29 2004, 12:29 PM
7 pounds.. as much as her 5 yr old brother!? does that mean she will stay at 7...... is she fat!? she doesnt over eat.. help!
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=13948
[/QUOTE]

are you sure she is the age they said she was thats very big for a maltese she is alittle over 3 months old thats hefty i would ask the vet and i would call the breeder you got her from , i mean im sure she will be fine but i would check into it
maxi at 13 month sis 9lbs at 18 weeks he was maybe 3lbs

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
18 weeks would be around 4 months old. At that age Lexi was around 3.5 lbs (I think). I don't think she got up to 5lbs until she was 6 months old.

Do you know how big her parents were? I would double check with the vet and breeder on her age. If the vet says that she isn't overweight and that she is 18 weeks old then my guess is she will be fine. She could just be one of the bigger maltese which is fine.

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
yeah, if your dog is 7 lbs and only 4.5 months old---then that dog will be like maybe 15 lbs or a little over full grown. thats just a guess though, you know? and you're totally positive that she's a maltese? i met a huge maltese once. his name is shawnie. totally cute. talk to your vet though. i doubt your baby is fat. good luck!

·
Registered
6,614 Posts
i agree... but does your baby look fat to you (big belly or anything)??? or are u just questioning his weight because most other maltese's are lighter at that age? I also agree that if you knew more about the dogs parents you would have a better understanding about your babies weight. When you went to the vet for check ups... did the vet say anything about weight?

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
we went to the vet Saturday and i asked her the same question.. she said she is not over weight... she is a maltese... you can fell her ribs and she has what the vet called a waist.. and she does not have a big belly.. the vet told me that her bones may just be heavy because she doesnt even look that big.. not to worry but not to be suprise if she is in the low teens.. from 3 weeks she only gained less than 1/2 a pound .. (before she would gain a pound +) ,, she told me not to worry she was healthy as she could be just as people are weight is not a certain thing

1 - 9 of 9 Posts