Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone! Just wanted to join the Maltese lovers! I got my first Maltese 2 months ago at the Rescue Shelter. She weighed 4 1/2 lbs & was totally shaved. She looked like a little rat with an extrememly tear stained face! She now weighs 5 lbs & has a coat of beautiful white silky hair. I'm working on the tear staining daily & I think it is starting to look a little better! She has been a perfect little dog. She was totally potty trained & has never used the floor, thrown up....She's perfect! At least to me she is!
She sleeps with me & right up against me I might add. I never dreamed I could get a beautiful wonderful well trained Maltese at a Shelter!

·
Registered
831 Posts
Congratulations and welcome to the forum! :D :D
and like everyone else I would love to see pictures of your baby girl.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Welcome, Debby, and congratulations on a successful rescue! It sounds as though you and your furbaby have bonded for life.

In the past 6 weeks or so, Pico has started staining badly also. I used the PolyDex drops in his eyes for a while and this usually clears up the tearstaining but not this time.

I got a 10 day prescription of Doxycycline in suspension from my vet. He said it is an antibiotic that is used to clear up staining, which can be caused by low-grade infections. Since Pico's whole face was staining as well as his penis hair, this made sense to me.

I start it today and I'll let you know in a month or so (after his next grooming to see if the new growth comes in and doesn't stain) how this worked. It could be that your baby needs a round of this antibiotic. I read another poster recently here that said she gives a round of antibiotic to hers from time to time. I was leery when my vet suggested this a little over a year ago to prevent a re-occurrence of a gum infection Pico got because I've read so much about people using antibiotics for colds, etc. and then when they really need one, their germs have developed an immunity. Since, unfortunately, our furbabies don't live to be with us 80 or 90 years, an occasional round of antibiotic won't hurt.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Hello to you & your baby!! I think its wonderful that you got her from a rescue!! She sounds like a sweetie, can't wait to see pictures!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts