Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,
I’m new here and yet to find my way around. The urgency right now is how to control my male pup who is 5 months. He does not stop barking when out in park or street. He jumps on me to bite my face and love chewing my fingers. So to some extent he has inflicted injury on me.

He also does not like his crate and I put him out of it a few hours a night so that the neighbours are not disturbed so much.

so how you discipline a Maltese? Thank you in advance.

· Premium Member
2,479 Posts
Hi, I think you should look for a trainer, one who uses positive training methods. It sounds like there is too much going on for us to be able to make much of a difference by some posts here.

One thing, though I hope I misunderstood. If he is in a crate all the time except for a few hours at night, he probably is bored and stressed. That could be the basis of your problem. If you can not be with him during the day, please consider getting a dog walker, a pet sitter, or doggy daycare after his behavior improves.

· Registered
15 Posts
Hi Sky! I have an older Maltese and a one + year old Maltese (Brianna). Out of the things you mentioned Brianna had ALL except the crate problem. I too would not leave your pup in a crate for too many hours. As for the other things I used to think Brianna thought I was her pup mate, lol. She has finally quit biting me (knock on wood). One of her bites probably needed stitches it was so deep. If you can afford a trainer or someone who can take him out during the day...Go for it.
p.s. Im not a professional just another Maltese owner. :)

· Super Moderator
10,527 Posts
It sounds like he's a puppy doing puppy things. You don't say how old he was when you got him, but if he left the litter before 3 months or 12 weeks of age, he missed out on lessons from his mom and litter mates on things like bite inhibition and friendly play.

Puppies need A LOT of exercise. Crate training is wonderful and every puppy should learn that the crate is a safe place, but they also need to be very tired when they go into the crate.

I hope you will look for a qualified trainer who has experience with young toy breed puppies to help you with this.

· Registered
3,898 Posts
From what the most recent people posted here on SM, they have all given you some very sound advice. And yes, it takes quite a bit of patience to train a little Puppy but it is worth it in the end. Crate training does take time as well and has been pretty much been proven that is the best way to train a little Puppy.

· Premium Member
Sandi-- w/Kitzel (Kitzi) & Lisel (Lisi)
18,335 Posts
I am sad to know your puppy has been confined to a crate so much! I hope you take advice & get some help. A puppy is meant to be loved & interacted with along w/just confined. Please, please take the time necessary to build a deep relationship w/your baby. I, personally, have never used a crate---but have confined to a room or larger pen for limited amount of time. I have had the privilege of being able to be home w/my dogs but I know others can not always do this so different things can work. It takes a lot of work/time/research etc. to be a "puppy mom" but the rewards of a lifetime of love are worth all that effort! I have an easy pup & one that is more challenging, but both have matured into loving dogs. I wish that for you as well! Let us know what you end up doing. We are here for you.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts