Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I remember my Lola's adverse reaction to the rabies shot. I'm beginning to hate this vaccine as much as GME. Poor baby even had mushy poo for days after taking Interceptor for heart worm prevention. Lola died at the age of 5 on her way to being diagnosed with GME. Any connection to the rabies shot? I'd take my chances and bet my life on it. Do I have any proof? No. You can't tell me this vaccination doesn't affect the immune system.

I wrote the above paragraph the other day on the other thread. Yes, Lola's reaction was horrible. I remember she was pacing around, couldn't stay still, couldn't relax. Pick me up, put me down. Touching her was just about out of the question. My Vet said Lola's reaction was that of a person with flu like symptoms. He administered a shot of dexamethazone. I'm being honest when I say I don't recall what happened after that. Meaning, when did Lola start feeling better, that kind of thing. I do remember calling the manufacturer of the vaccine days later to report to the Vet there my girl's reaction. I know my Vet did as well. Over the course of her short life, Lola was titer tested.

I'm sorry I sound like a dolt. My memory is shot. Somewhere I have Lola's records. It would behoove you to have access to such records so you don't sound like me. Lol

I'm also sorry I didn't have an autopsy or necropsy done on my beautiful girl. Maybe it would have helped in the study. I wasn't thinking at the time.
Xoxoxoxox

·
Registered
193 Posts
I'm so sorry for your loss! And you are not a dolt at all! When we are dealing with these hard times things get muddled in our heads. You did your best at the time!

·
Super Moderator
10,175 Posts
Kerry - I know how hard it is to bring back up these memories. Thank you for posting this, dear friend!

·
Registered
11,074 Posts
Thank you Kerry for sharing your heartbreaking experience with us along with good advice, if God forbid, one of us loses one of our babies like you did. I know this was painful for you to go through those memories again. You did everything humanly possible for your beautiful girl.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
10,186 Posts
I remember my Lola's adverse reaction to the rabies shot. I'm beginning to hate this vaccine as much as GME. Poor baby even had mushy poo for days after taking Interceptor for heart worm prevention. Lola died at the age of 5 on her way to being diagnosed with GME. Any connection to the rabies shot? I'd take my chances and bet my life on it. Do I have any proof? No. You can't tell me this vaccination doesn't affect the immune system.

I wrote the above paragraph the other day on the other thread. Yes, Lola's reaction was horrible. I remember she was pacing around, couldn't stay still, couldn't relax. Pick me up, put me down. Touching her was just about out of the question. My Vet said Lola's reaction was that of a person with flu like symptoms. He administered a shot of dexamethazone. I'm being honest when I say I don't recall what happened after that. Meaning, when did Lola start feeling better, that kind of thing. I do remember calling the manufacturer of the vaccine days later to report to the Vet there my girl's reaction. I know my Vet did as well. Over the course of her short life, Lola was titer tested.

I'm sorry I sound like a dolt. My memory is shot. Somewhere I have Lola's records. It would behoove you to have access to such records so you don't sound like me. Lol

I'm also sorry I didn't have an autopsy or necropsy done on my beautiful girl. Maybe it would have helped in the study. I wasn't thinking at the time.
Xoxoxoxox
Kerry, thank you so much for taking time to repost the first paragraph ... and, the rest of your post, too.

Dolt, huh? You are one of the smartest women that I know, my dear friend.

Love you so much.

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
It just breaks my heart to know how you and your little girl suffered -- and yes, I too am convinced it had something to do with the rabies shot. I am really so terribly sorry that you went through so much. And-- it's completely understandable that you have difficulty recalling the timing of everything that occurred. It was such a time of high stress and I'm sure you were just trying to cope as best you could.

Thank you for the important reminder to always keep complete records in an easily accessible place in case they are needed.

·
Premium Member
17,463 Posts
Kerry, since you don't share much I find this posting especially relevant---and I take it seriously. Thank you for posting your heart here. I won't ever give Lisi the rabies again either---or any vaccine if I can find a way around it.
May your sweet Lola RIP---I know you miss her.

·
Premium Member
15,980 Posts
I'm really happy that this study is going on. The vaccines really are frightening and I do believe that they have something to do with compromising the immune system. I know that there has to be protection for the diseases that our fluffs could get without the vaccines, but a safer way to do it is what we need. I'm so sorry for what you and Lola went through. I can't imagine the pain and heartbreak! Dewey gets his three yr.Rabies in November , and I 'm a nervous wreck!!i'm taking the day off work and hanging around the vets office just in case something happens.

·
Premium Member
3,550 Posts
Deb, when Bayleigh had her reaction (I'll post the story when I'm a little less stressed), they pre-dosed her with benedryl and I waited 30 minutes afterwards at the office...didn't even make it home and had to race back. I'd wait at least an hour even if they don't think its necessary.

I'm really happy that this study is going on. The vaccines really are frightening and I do believe that they have something to do with compromising the immune system. I know that there has to be protection for the diseases that our fluffs could get without the vaccines, but a safer way to do it is what we need. I'm so sorry for what you and Lola went through. I can't imagine the pain and heartbreak! Dewey gets his three yr.Rabies in November , and I 'm a nervous wreck!!i'm taking the day off work and hanging around the vets office just in case something happens.

·
Premium Member
10,186 Posts
Deb, when Bayleigh had her reaction (I'll post the story when I'm a little less stressed), they pre-dosed her with benedryl and I waited 30 minutes afterwards at the office...didn't even make it home and had to race back. I'd wait at least an hour even if they don't think its necessary.
Lydia, my Snowball was also pre-dosed with Benedryl before his rabies vaccination. We also didn't make it home and had to go back to the office ... and, more than once that afternoon.

Snowball's story is in the new vaccine forum ... just in case you would like to read more of the details.

I'm sorry your Bayleigh had a an adverse reaction, too. Snowball is now legally waived from any further rabies vaccinations.

·
Premium Member
17,463 Posts
I, and Sue--who knows so much on this issue, have both warned against advanced dosing of Benadryl which only masks symptoms that would be in the best interest of the pup to recognize ASAP for a true anaphylactic reaction. Please carefully consider this advice when vaccinating your babies.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I gotta say, my chihuahua Emilio had the Rabies vaccine when he was 6 months old. 2 months later his ear pinna began to crust up and scab and the edges were peeling off leaving notches in his ears. I took him back to the vet and he was diagnosed with vasculitis.

So I researched it, and found the there is a type of vasculitis cause by a reaction to the Rabies vaccine. I went back to my vet and told him, and he argued that it had nothing to do with the vaccine. A few weeks later we once again went in for a re-check, and the vet said, "I guess he won't be getting the Rabies vaccine anymore". So I asked him and he had researched it and found what I said was true. But I was told it is "very rare" and he had never before seen it in his practice.

Fast forward about 6 years. I got Misha vaccinated at 7 months for Rabies. 2 months later and her ear pinna started crusting up and they itch intensley. Its not mange. The bridge of her nose started scabbing up. Guess what? You guessed it, vasculitis caused by the Rabies vaccine.

If it is that rare, how do 2 of my dogs have it???

Now I have the dilemma of treating the vasculitis with drugs that are not safe for a dog with MVD. But she is miserable.

·
Premium Member
10,186 Posts
I, and Sue--who knows so much on this issue, have both warned against advanced dosing of Benadryl which only masks symptoms that would be in the best interest of the pup to recognize ASAP for a true anaphylactic reaction. Please carefully consider this advice when vaccinating your babies.
We went with the advice of Snowball's vet (actually his former vets, too) in regard to the Benadryl. I'm wondering if they were thinking in Snowball's case (and, with his past history) that, if indeed he did have an adverse reaction (which he did) ... if the Benadryl would help cause the adverse reaction to be less severe. Even though at one point he had some difficulty breathing ... couldn't it have been even worse? When we returned to the ER the second time, he was, in fact, injected with another dose of Benadryl. And, on the third ER visit ... then he received a low dose of steroid, which then finally helped calm things down.

Sandi, I am only asking questions because Snowball has an appointment tomorrow (his dental is on Monday if his labs are okay tomorrow) and I would like to discuss this with his vet ... in regard to the Benadryl.

I appreciate your feedback, as I do with Sue, too. :tender:

·
Registered
11,074 Posts
Sandi, I'm really hoping you post Lisi's experience.

I gotta say, my chihuahua Emilio had the Rabies vaccine when he was 6 months old. 2 months later his ear pinna began to crust up and scab and the edges were peeling off leaving notches in his ears. I took him back to the vet and he was diagnosed with vasculitis.

So I researched it, and found the there is a type of vasculitis cause by a reaction to the Rabies vaccine. I went back to my vet and told him, and he argued that it had nothing to do with the vaccine. A few weeks later we once again went in for a re-check, and the vet said, "I guess he won't be getting the Rabies vaccine anymore". So I asked him and he had researched it and found what I said was true. But I was told it is "very rare" and he had never before seen it in his practice.

Fast forward about 6 years. I got Misha vaccinated at 7 months for Rabies. 2 months later and her ear pinna started crusting up and they itch intensley. Its not mange. The bridge of her nose started scabbing up. Guess what? You guessed it, vasculitis caused by the Rabies vaccine.

If it is that rare, how do 2 of my dogs have it???

Now I have the dilemma of treating the vasculitis with drugs that are not safe for a dog with MVD. But she is miserable.
Please start a thread and share your experiences here in the Vaccination Stories forum for others to see and learn about. We need people to speak up and share their experiences. :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
3,550 Posts
Marie, I definitely read your story and all the rest too. So sad what we, and our pups, have all had to go through. I'm adding Bayleigh's story too, and am very glad this study is going forward. Most assuredly, I will never allow another one of mine to be overvaccinated again. Bayleigh has the waiver as well, and we titer regularly.

Lydia, my Snowball was also pre-dosed with Benedryl before his rabies vaccination. We also didn't make it home and had to go back to the office ... and, more than once that afternoon.

Snowball's story is in the new vaccine forum ... just in case you would like to read more of the details.

I'm sorry your Bayleigh had a an adverse reaction, too. Snowball is now legally waived from any further rabies vaccinations.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts