Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've not discussed this with the vet because I've not given them anything but water to drink, but I know that must be horrible, to drink only water. I was wondering if you let your dogs drink anything other than water? I'll take recommendations from here and ask our vet on our next visit. I leave them a full bowl of water all the time and let them drink as often/as much as they desire. What do you do?

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Originally posted by scottchelf@Dec 19 2004, 08:28 AM
I've not discussed this with the vet because I've not given them anything but water to drink, but I know that must be horrible, to drink only water.   I was wondering if you let your dogs drink anything other than water?  I'll take recommendations from here and ask our vet on our next visit.  I leave them a full bowl of water all the time and let them drink as often/as much as they desire.  What do you do?
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=24242
[/QUOTE]

Just curious, what other liquids were you thinking of ?
Dogs eat basically the same food everyday... the water is for the purpose of hydrating them.... I can't imagine that they would need anything else to drink.... I'm sure others will have a more intelligent answer for you!

I have water in stainless bowls in two rooms for mine; one in the kitchen and one in the laundry room. I get water for K & C and for me at Earth Fare, a health food grocery store where they have a water filling station.... I take the containers in and fill them up. I keep two 3-gal containers that have spouts in the refrig. I use a very pure water that is almost like a distilled water.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I give only water...but sometimes to spice it up a bit she gets an ice cube. She LOVES ice. I'll put it in her water bowl and let her drink around it or just run it under the tap for a second then give it to her when it is small. Don't give it to them right out of the freezer b/c it might stick to their hair on the face.

Nicolle

·
Registered
4,515 Posts
Sampson and Maggie only get water, bottled spring water, its the only thing they have ever had, i think they are smart enough to know we are not drinking water all thee time but neither have ever showed an intrest in whats in the glass, only whats on the plates :lol:

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
hi, i've never thought that my dogs would get bored of water.....but i think about that for food. lol.

well, i saw this when i went to the Nuts for Mutts fair. you should try it and tell us how it goes (personally, i thought it was nasty. but dogs might not think so! lol)

K9 Water

Chicken flavored!

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Brinkley gets distilled water too...in stainless bowls...but he occasionally will lap whatever is in my cup on the table...
He likes coffee and milk and sodas..pretty much anything I would drink
I wonder how many times I have taken a drink AFTER him and not even realized it

Anyway, it never occured to me to give him anything purposely to drink except water either.
(Although I am sure the chicken flavored water is a big hit!)

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
Water is awesome! We should only drink water too! It's the best thing for our system to drink. I wish I didn't start drinking sodas again and what not. A couple people here suggested giving them fruits! I give them oranges and they liked it. Cloud liked it more than Noriko though. I gave them 100% apple juice too. They liked it. But water is the best thing. Maybe you don't think so because you drink other stuff and can't imagine drinking only water for the rest of your life, but really, if you get into the habit of drinking only water, you'll love it. It's the bestest thing to quench your thirst and to rehydrate yourself.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Fantasia gets tap water. She has also stolen a lap or two from our cups when we didn't notice and I sometimes put a drop of whatever I am drinking on my finger and let her lick it. She loves drinking water from a cup too. If I think she hasn't had enough water one day I will put some in a glass and have her drink from that. She drinks it down like there's no tomorrow! I guess she thinks whatever we drink out of has got to be better than what she drinks out of lol.
One time John wasn't thinking and he put his cup of Mt. Dew on the floor behind the couch and we are watching TV and all of a sudden hear lapping sounds. We look all over and finally he remembered what he did and we look behind the couch and sure enough there she is drinking away! She had to have gotten alot because we heard her drinking for a LONG time! I told him never again was he to put a glass on the floor. He still needs to be reminded once in a while lol. We need an end table, but there's no room for one.

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
water makes me gag. i hate it. so i drink Propel and Speedo water. its flavored. and some of the drinks are nasty.

propel-Strawberry Kiwi

Speedo-Fruit Punch

are the best tasting. and its sad cuz they arent that good. lol

my mom had sprite one day and she didnt have any water with her...so she tried giving her diet soda. i have no idea what she was thinking.
and, of course, i got really pissed off at her. i have a really bad temper. but its not my fault. :D

·
Registered
162 Posts
Originally posted by doctorcathy@Dec 20 2004, 10:35 AM
water makes me gag.  i hate it.  so i drink Propel and Speedo water.  its flavored.  and some of the drinks are nasty.

propel-Strawberry Kiwi

Speedo-Fruit Punch

are the best tasting.  and its sad cuz they arent that good.  lol

my mom had sprite one day and she didnt have any water with her...so she tried giving her diet soda.  i have no idea what she was thinking. 
  and, of course, i got really pissed off at her.  i have a really bad temper.  but its not my fault.  :D
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=24398
[/QUOTE]

Hahaha! But aren't sprite and water the same thing?!?! They are both clear!
Teehee. Sounds like something my mom might try.

Coco only gets bottled water in a stainless steel dish. I can drink orange pop like there's no tomorrow, but Coconut never showed an interest in it. Only my chinese food the other day. Boooy did she want my rice!

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
my mom tried giving diet coke!! it wasnt even clear
lol

and i LOVE pineapple soda. i bought myself a 12 pack last week thinking that since i'm on vacation i can splurge a little----and i think i finished it in 3 days or something. and im trying to count how many i would have....but i still dont think it added up to 12 cans! lol.

my friend used to give her fat chihuahua kool-aid. the dog would also pee on you if you picked it up. :eek:

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
Originally posted by doctorcathy@Dec 20 2004, 11:46 AM
my mom tried giving diet coke!!  it wasnt even clear
  lol

my friend used to give her fat chihuahua kool-aid.  the dog would also pee on you if you picked it up.  :eek:
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=24460
[/QUOTE]
My grandparents have a fat chihuahua, he looks like a loaf of bread on toothpicks! Poor guy

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Fantasia always wants what John or I have. It doesn't even have to be food! If she hears a noise she will come running and go crazy trying to sniff whatever we have. She always licks the sides of our cups (she likes the condensation) but I hate it because she does it to company and I think it's so rude!

·
Registered
7,741 Posts
when parker was a pup i felt bad for not giving him ne thing but his food and water so when i had a drink i would let him lick the outside of the can. i know..a real treat, but he likes it. now everytime he sees someone with a can he wants to lick it. guess that could be rude if company came over lol

1 - 19 of 19 Posts