Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m the mother of Marley. He is a precious 12 year old Maltese. He’s my best friend and shadow as I get ready for work each day.
I’m here because I know you guys love your babies too and maybe we can share and learn from each other. Our vet has been unable to consistently keep a groomer and In very particular with Marley because he’s a senior and he can’t take someone being rough because of his joints. Soooo mommy has embarked to start grooming him and his brother (a 4 yo Yorkie). I have the walk km10 and it has a 10 blade, but I’m not sure what clip to use. I have the stainless steel combs. His fur is so fine and I don’t want to gap him up. Lol Also Marley has lost a tooth and it seems like at times he isn’t able to chew his food well and will throw up sometimes. He’s always had a sensitive stomach so I’ve always spent a fortune on trying to give him good quality food. Any ideas on food? I had considered a senior pate for him, but I’m not sure. Thank you

·
Premium Member
Sandi-- w/Kitzel (Kitzi) & Lisel (Lisi)
18,136 Posts
Hi Mom & Marley---welcome to SM! He sounds like a little keeper!
I would watch some videos on maltese grooming & just remember that hair will grow back! I have a tremor now so I take Lisi & Kitzi to the groomer mostly now---but freshen them up in between the 5-6 week intervals. I have been using the same groomer for about 6 yrs. off & on. She has come to understand how fanatical I am about the pups & she humors me. I am very up-front w/her & tell her when I am not pleased w/something so we have a mutual respect now. I think that is fair. How will she learn what I want otherwise?
I used the shortest blade for the body (the red one) and a little Wahl clipper for the feet & private areas. I use the lavender clip for part of the face. It is imperative that you get a blending scissors---that can cover a multitude of sins. Hold the pup under the chin when you are working on the face.
I hope this makes sense! :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Mom & Marley---welcome to SM! He sounds like a little keeper!
I would watch some videos on maltese grooming & just remember that hair will grow back! I have a tremor now so I take Lisi & Kitzi to the groomer mostly now---but freshen them up in between the 5-6 week intervals. I have been using the same groomer for about 6 yrs. off & on. She has come to understand how fanatical I am about the pups & she humors me. I am very up-front w/her & tell her when I am not pleased w/something so we have a mutual respect now. I think that is fair. How will she learn what I want otherwise?
I used the shortest blade for the body (the red one) and a little Wahl clipper for the feet & private areas. I use the lavender clip for part of the face. It is imperative that you get a blending scissors---that can cover a multitude of sins. Hold the pup under the chin when you are working on the face.
I hope this makes sense! :)
Thank you so much! Thank you for all the good tips. I’ve got a 46 blending shear. I hope that’s a good one to have. Marley is such a loving dog. He’s my best friend. It’s so funny my husband had Marley and I had Bella ( yorkie) when we met and our dogs kind of did the switch on us. Lol They’re loved us both, but Bella would sit with her daddy and Marley was always beside me. Bella got an autoimmune disease and I had to let her go after a long fight 4 years ago. That’s when I got my other Yorkie.
Do you have any recommendations on a sister food for him. I worry that he’s not able to get his food chewed up like he should. His stomach had always been so sensitive, so I try to be very careful. Thank you again so much!☺🐾🐾

1 - 3 of 3 Posts