Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I am so glad I joined this group. I can obviously get good advice here. YIPPEE!!! So, I got my dog about a year ago from a Dr. I worked for that just didn't want him anymore, so I took him and love him and adore him. Groomers here just don't know what they're doing and I am never satisfied with how my dog looks. I have constantly searched the internet for pictures of how I'd like my Matty to eventually look and I can NEVER find one. I would like for him to look shiny and smooth all the time, but when I take him in they tell me it's just impossible so he always looks fo full and fluffy and just out of control. Any advice, help, suggestions will be greatly appreciated. I will soon take pics of Matty and post them so you can see what I mean. Also, I have a problem with all the staining on his face. He loves to be outside so I can never keep it clean.

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Welcome to SM!

First the staining can be caused by what he is eating or even the water he drinks or what he is drinking out of. It is recommend that you feed Maltese foods and treats that contain no dyes. It is also recommend that you not give them tap water. Bottled water or filtered water is recommend. The minerals in tab water can case staining. Stainless steel or ceramic bowls are recommended. You can also get glass water bottles. With the water bottles their faces stay dry so there is less staining. Lexi (my puppy) has some staining around the mouth too. I use 2 plastic water bottle (got them at PetSmart). They help a lot. One of these days I might splurge and get the glass water bottles.

What products do you use? I use PetSilk products and love them. I have the Moisturizing shampoo and rinse, Bright white shampoo, Leave-In conditioner, and the Liquid Silk. I give Lexi baths every 1-2 weeks and she usually stays very soft, silky and shiny between baths. I'm usually the only one that can tell when she is dirty. You can get PetSilk products at:
MJM PetSilk
PetEdge

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
Originally posted by imamyloo@Dec 2 2004, 12:31 AM
I would like for him to look shiny and smooth all the time, but when I take him in they tell me it's just impossible so he always looks fo full and fluffy and just out of control. 
We all want our Maltese to look just like the ones we see at Westminster, with the long, straight, flowing coats, but many Maltese don't have the proper coat. Many have what we call cottony coats, hence the "full and fluffy" look. That's what my Lady has. It's not the worst coat I've ever seen, it's soft and shiny, but she definately puffs out as it gets longer!

If Matty doesn't have the right coat, you can't change his genes. Most of us opt for a puppy cut which looks adorable. If you leave the tails, face and ears long, they still look very much like Maltese!

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
All Maltese have different coats and textures. Some Maltese have wooly and curly coats and will always look fluffy no matter what. Other Maltese have a proper silk coat that is very shiny, straight and sleek. I am lucky that Sparkle has a perfect silk coat and she looks great with very little effort.

I would suggest trying Chris Christensen products. I have tried many and I like this the best. I use their 20mm gold brush, day to day conditioner and shampoo, white on white shampoo, and ice on ice leave in conditioner. Works wonders. I also like Vellus a lot. If you are interested in trying human products, Biolage Moisturizing Shampoo and Conditioning Balm is amazing. I got it for my furkids and I ended up using it myself too!

This is Sparkle's coat.

This is Nibbler who has a nice coat but you can see the coat gets stained from water.

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Originally posted by CharmyPoo@Dec 2 2004, 07:35 PM
All Maltese have different coats and textures.  Some Maltese have wooly and curly coats and will always look fluffy no matter what.  Other Maltese have a proper silk coat that is very shiny, straight and sleek.  I am lucky that Sparkle has a perfect silk coat and she looks great with very little effort.

I would suggest trying Chris Christensen products.  I have tried many and I like this the best.  I use their 20mm gold brush, day to day conditioner and shampoo, white on white shampoo, and ice on ice leave in conditioner.  Works wonders.  I also like Vellus a lot.  If you are interested in trying human products, Biolage Moisturizing Shampoo and Conditioning Balm is amazing.  I got it for my furkids and I ended up using it myself too!
Thanks so much for the info. I needed some leave-in conditioner so I bought some Ice on Ice.

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Originally posted by CharmyPoo+Dec 2 2004, 08:11 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-Kallie/Catcher's Mom
@Dec 2 2004, 07:51 PM
Thanks so much for the info. I needed some leave-in conditioner so I bought some Ice on Ice.  

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=19975
Good choice. I think it's the best one out there.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=19981
[/B][/QUOTE]

CharmyPoo, The Ice on Ice arrived the other day and I love it. It makes it so easy to brush and comb them and makes their coats really easy to work with and so smooth and soft... it was just what I was looking for!! Thanks for the tip!

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
This is a really helpful thread, thanks! I haven't tried the Ice on Ice--I have been using a different leave in conditioner. I'll give it a shot.

Charmypoo, your babies are simply exquisite.

Imamyloo--it can be really hard to keep our babies faces clean. Sylphide had quite a bit of tearstaining when she was a puppy. She now has much less, and it varies from day to day. I've tried a lot of products, and find that just washing her face daily with tearless puppy shampoo really helps the most. I have used the following formula: milk of magnesia plus hydrogen peroxide plus cornstarch, leave on, then wash out. This really makes her face white, but dries her coat, and damages her muzzle hair. So I don't use it anymore.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
I am glad you liked it. It is the best product I used and I tried a lot. If you get the the gold series brush too...then you are set. It is the ultimate combination. All my friends who have used this brush..could not put it down. Even the dogs that hate grooming the most, don't seem to mind this brush.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Originally posted by JMM@Dec 14 2004, 08:50 PM
I didn't like the first Chris Christensen pin brushes, but have ordered the new gold one and will see what it is like. I use the #1 All Systems with the white pad, too. The chris Christensen slicker is the BEST slicker I have ever used.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=23228
[/QUOTE]

I also didn't like their original brush as it was too harsh. The gold series is a lot softer!

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
I use a greyhound comb to go therough Lady's coat after I brush her, first with the wider spaced teeth, then the finer teeth. Just brushing isn't enough, I found.

Jackie, let us know if the CC gold series brush gets your "seal of approval"!

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Originally posted by CharmyPoo@Dec 14 2004, 12:06 AM
I am glad you liked it.  It is the best product I used and I tried a lot.  If you get the the gold series brush too...then you are set.  It is the ultimate combination.  All my friends who have used this brush..could not put it down.  Even the dogs that hate grooming the most, don't seem to mind this brush.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=22926
[/QUOTE]

I currently use the #1 All Systems brush. When I brush Kallie she literally screams and is almost hysterical. I asked the groomer about it yesterday and she said she never screams when she is brushing or doing anything else, for that matter and that she probably knows if she screams that I will quit brushing (true)!!

I should have asked what brush she uses. Maybe the #1 All Systems is too harsh for her and I should try the gold series brush.... I also use the exact comb LadysMom uses, which I use after brushing and she doesn't freak out as much with it. Of course my Zen-calm Catcher just stands there and lets me brush to my heart's content.

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
Originally posted by Kallie/Catcher's Mom+Dec 15 2004, 08:41 AM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-CharmyPoo
@Dec 14 2004, 12:06 AM
I am glad you liked it.  It is the best product I used and I tried a lot.  If you get the the gold series brush too...then you are set.  It is the ultimate combination.  All my friends who have used this brush..could not put it down.  Even the dogs that hate grooming the most, don't seem to mind this brush.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=22926
I currently use the #1 All Systems brush. When I brush Kallie she literally screams and is almost hysterical. I asked the groomer about it yesterday and she said she never screams when she is brushing or doing anything else, for that matter and that she probably knows if she screams that I will quit brushing (true)!!

I should have asked what brush she uses. Maybe the #1 All Systems is too harsh for her and I should try the gold series brush.... I also use the exact comb LadysMom uses, which I use after brushing and she doesn't freak out as much with it. Of course my Zen-calm Catcher just stands there and lets me brush to my heart's content.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=23399
[/B][/QUOTE]
I am not for sure what the #1 All Systems is, but I do know that we had a brush with the sharp metal bristles and when ever I would brush Caesar with that he would squirm so bad. So, I know this sounds silly, but I tried it on my own hair, because I was curious if it hurt him, and that baby hurt!
I now use a comb on him, not sure what brand, but I got it from Petsmart. He seems to now enjoy his brushings. :D

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
Sher, Chris Christensen recommends doing th "tip test" with her brushes. That might be a good way to test your #1 All Systems Brush before buying a new one, although I think it's pretty soft, especially with the white pad:

Do The Tip Test: take the brush you have been using and run the pins down your arm and you will see scratches on your arm. This is because those brushes have not been ground and polished and they are very damaging and irritating to the skin of your canine and not only to the skin, for if you were to look at those tips under a magnifier you would find that they look like blades of a saw and they do break and cut hair. In many cases when you see dander after brushing it is not dander at all, it is skin that you have grated off while brushing, just like the scratches you now have on your arm. Take that brush that you have just scratched your arm with and do it a hundred strokes like you brush you canine and see how irritated and flaky your skin will be after that experiment. Now, take any of Chris Christensen Systems brushes and run the pins down your arm and you won't find a scratch, no matter how hard or how many times you run that brush down your arm.

I'd suspect Kallie is screaming "stop" because brushing is no fun!

I have found that Lady enjoys being on my lap best for her brushings. I use my grooming table for after baths, daily topknots, etc, but she is more relaxed when she is on my lap for her brushing. In fact, she often falls asleep! I also find that I am more diligent about brushing her everyday in the cooler weather when I let her coat get longer if I just pop her on my lap while watching tv.

Of course, Kallie may be just the opposite and fuss less on a grooming table because she knows it means "business" which may explain why she is better at her groomers.

Gosh, if I invest in $35 for a pin brush, Lady better PURR while I am brushing her!

Sher, BTW, I sent you a personal message. Check your inbox.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.