Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We went to my husband's sister's house for Christmas dinner. She has a 4 pound Japanese Chin/mini poodle mix (pet store puppy but let's save that for another debate). Anyway, my sis in law had her puppy, Bella, in a Christmas sweater and my mother in law thought that was the most ridiculous thing she had seen. She kept saying that we (sister in law and me) are not letting our dogs be dogs and treating them like human babies. She then said that she had watched a dog training show (don't know if it was "Its Me or the Dog" or "The Dog Whisperer") and they had said on the show that if you carry the dog around and dress it up, you are inhibiting their natural pack instinct to "run with the pack".

I tried to explain to her that neither my sister in law nor I actually were thinking our fluffs were HUMAN babies. But it was about their comfort (ie sweaters for warmth) and also kind of like a girl dressing her dolls....no harm done and its cute. (and my fluffs don't seem to mind being dressed up). Also that my fluffs do go on walks...just when they get tired, we have the stroller for them (or for safety when there are bigger dogs around!)

Mother in law just about fell out of her chair when I told her I had a dog stroller too.

Do you all run into anyone that is just completely closed minded when it comes to dressing dogs or spoiling them?

·
Registered
552 Posts
We dressed Dora up in a nice dress for a neighborhood get-together and I could tell lots of people thought we were crazy. Oddly enough most people think her shirts/sweaters aren't a big deal and kind of cute (although of course THEY would NEVER do such a thing to their dog). It's like it's ok to have clothes for her upper half but if you put on a skirt on it, that's crossing the line. :)

·
Registered
552 Posts
I just ignore it when people say that!

As long as the dog is comfortable wearing the clothes, I don't see a problem.
Good point...if the dog didn't want to wear clothes she'd try to take them off...so if she leaves it alone clearly she either likes it or at the least, it doesn't bother her. But dogs will always let you know if they don't like their clothes!!

·
Premium Member
24,173 Posts
Kelly I'm so used to people like your MIL, I just say hey you should see their wardrobe and their carseats:HistericalSmiley: the look on their faces:HistericalSmiley: then I keep walking.
I really don't care what other people think, that's their problem

I often wonder why they bother to say anything at all, usually those kind of people are very judge mental about other things as well

·
Registered
5,653 Posts
i know alot of ppl like that, some just laugh hysterically others tell me im crazy and everyone tells me my dog is spoiled. i tell them well hes one of my kids so i will spoil him , and i leave it at that.

·
Premium Member
17,457 Posts
Kelly, this may not be what you want to hear but my advice is to cut your MIL a bit of slack----people are different for all kinds of reasons and most of them have history. Sometimes it is best just to be yourself and let others do the same and with time you come to appreciate the differences---not always. Then you can quietly do things your own way and hope for the best.
Close relationships are not worth going over the wall on everything!
You are a precious young lady and her love will continue! for sure.

·
Premium Member
12,783 Posts
I agree, just ignore it. You won't change her mind.

And honestly? Before I had maltese, I thought dog clothes and dog strollers were incredibly ridiculous and would have scoffed at anybody who had one. Not to their faces, of course, but I would have mentally rolled my eyes.

Toy dogs were bred to be companions, and that is what they are. They still act like dogs at my house, so i would just ignore your MIL. She just doesn't get it and it would take owning a dog like a maltese to make her get it!

·
Registered
11,074 Posts
Oh I totally understand how you feel. My sister takes any and every opportunity to let me and others know just how ridiculous clothes are for dogs. And this is my business! Her daughter helped me in the store this past summer for heaven's sake. And when her daughter wanted to bring her dog in and fit her for a harness that had a bit more 'style' to it, right here in the store my sister let me know how ridiculous this is. I've let it go many times. In fact I let it go on Christmas day. However, I did quietly take her aside the day she was in my store and let her know she can have her own opinions, but she can not voice them in my store where it may hinder a sale. And I also told her how her comment hurt her daughter's feelings. My niece had been talking about bringing her mom and dog in all summer long and wanted to have a fun time shopping for her like she saw so many customers do this past summer. I felt so badly for my niece. She was so disappointed...and why my sister couldn't see that is just beyond me.

My own personal observations are those that feel free to voice their disapproval on something that should be obvious you enjoy and do, are simply insensitive.

·
Registered
5,433 Posts
When I take Lola out, with just her regular harness jackets on,(dressy ones from Crystal) a lot of people comment on her cute little outfit saying how sweet she looks. But if I add a skirt or dress to that coat/harness I find I get a lot more eye rolling Lol. therefore I feel more comfortable not putting dresses on for walks etc. I guess I am not fond of being judged, I guess I am also a bit on the fence about dressing them up too much myself or I wouldn't let it bother me :blush: It seems to me, the smaller the dog, the more likely they look meant to be dressed up. The teeny teeny ones seem to shiver somewhat if not dressed.

I think in your situation I may just tone down the dressing somewhat when I saw my M-in-L. using maybe less fussy more practical items.

·
Registered
11,074 Posts
When I take Lola out, with just her regular harness jackets on,(dressy ones from Crystal) a lot of people comment on her cute little outfit saying how sweet she looks. But if I add a skirt or dress to that coat/harness I find I get a lot more eye rolling Lol. therefore I feel more comfortable not putting dresses on for walks etc. I guess I am not fond of being judged, I guess I am also a bit on the fence about dressing them up too much myself or I wouldn't let it bother me :blush: It seems to me, the smaller the dog, the more likely they look meant to be dressed up. The teeny teeny ones seem to shiver somewhat if not dressed.

I think in your situation I may just tone down the dressing somewhat when I saw my M-in-L. using maybe less fussy more practical items.
You know, it's really interesting how seeing a fluff shiver does tend to change someone's opinion. I'm fortunate enough to have a small fenced in courtyard at the new store. And if I'm really busy when they have to go out, I'll just let them run out in their sweater or hoodie without putting a coat on. They tend to really hurry then. I've had several customers notice when one or both of them come back in shivering.

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for all the replies. I am glad I am not the only one. I do agree that some of the clothes are neccessary (ie sweaters and coats) and some is just for fun (dresses and vests, jammies, etc.) but really, is it hurting anything if we dress them? No! I mean, there would be cause for concern if I thought my fluffs were my human babies...or became an unhealthy obscession...just like anything in life. I am a logical person like all of you and just find it enjoyable to dress them up.

So, I didn't let it bother me for long. My MIL is VERY opinionated about a lot of things and I just let most of what she says roll off of my shoulders. It just hit me wrong I guess that she kept badgering me and my SIL about dressing the dogs. I will just go on living my life how it is....spoiling my fluffs. And she can have her opinions. :D I still love her to death though...she's the best MIL I could have asked for. She just has that "old south" mentality I think that if a dog isn't useful, then there isn't sense in having one. :(

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Honestly, when I first came here, I bit my tongue all the time about the dresses and tutus and things. I have always used basic sweaters and even jammies for my little ones but always thought the dresses were w*e*i*r*d. LOL :blush:

But then it must have permeated into my brain on some level because now after seeing so many cute pics of your doglets in their finest wear, it seems normal to me! :w00t::HistericalSmiley:

So while I still haven't joined the tutu society for my little motley crew, I do appreciate seeing all the pretty little dresses and outfits on parade at SM :wub:

I personally wouldn't worry about it. "To each their own," right! :) :thumbsup: If we were all the same/looked at everything the same way, how boring life would be...

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
Yeah I used to be one of those people. Until I met Pat (Sassy's Mommy), and she made Tanner & Sassy matching outfits. Oh how cute they were. Then I kinda started sewing for Tanner, just made a couple of things, and someone at work pointed out that his outfit didn't match mine. Can't have that. Guess it's kinda snowballed, huh?!

·
Registered
590 Posts
I think they all look so cute in dresses and sweaters. So I think its your own comfort level to what you will dress them up in. Max would not put a sweater on if my life depended on it. But it can get cold here and he finally gave in and loves wearing his jackets and sweaters...He figured oh this keeps me warm...So to each his or her own. I am going to see to the comfort of my maltese no matter what anyone else thinks of my dog in a sweater...he he So if your MIL says anything just ignore her and do what you want...why bother arguing with someone that will not change their mind.

·
Premium Member
17,343 Posts
When I was a little girl, we had Chihuahuas and I always dressed them up in my doll clothes, so I guess it was only natural that I continued to dress the fluffs as an adult.

I think my DH was a little embarrased at first when I would dress Lacie up and take her out in public. It's amazing, though, the POSITIVE comments I received. He had told me that it would be from "old ladies", but actually, sooooooo many macho men came up to comment in a positive way. I remember these 2 bikers that fell in love with Lacie on her first outing with DH and me. And then there was the guy in one of the sporting goods stores that asked if he could take a picture to show his wife. He especially loved the bow (that Marj had made) to match the outfit. :)

My neighbors jokingly tease me (but in a good natured way). I remember having Lacie and Tilly out last summer without clothes and one of my neighbors commented that the girls were "naked". LOL

I guess I really don't care that some may thing I'm crazy. I enjoy the clothes, bows, etc. and the fluffs seem to enjoy them too.

·
Premium Member
15,201 Posts
we got some strange looks from people during our travel when they saw the malts on their VESTS :w00t: yes not the typical harness, but a vest is better than a collar for my pups (collars are only attached to put the tags on). We got strange looks for just the vests, let alone shirts and dresses, but eh, we could care less because the malts actually don't mind putting them on. Not only that but Snowy goes SUPER EXCITED just before a photo shoot or video taking when he sees me holding one of his shirts :HistericalSmiley:
it cause no damage to them and they don't mind them (one of them is a nut case and LOVES them like CRAZY).

the malts don't need clothes to be on 24/7 here as it isn't so very cold, but we put them normally on for video/pic taking. S&C do live 95% of their time naked :blush: only for the fact that it isn't really needed where we live. That said, in dog events and gatherings that are held here, MANY pups (if not most) come to these events in style lol of course, so do S&C B) Rarely if not at all we get the strange looks here but I guess it is because it is quite common in these sort of gatherings

Kat

·
Premium Member
6,086 Posts
Oh, yes. My parents think I'm weird. My mother doesn't like animals at all. I just chalk it up to ignorance. I disagree that dressing our puppies "humanizes" them, too. We keep a cold house and turn the heat way down at night. My girls love their clothes and enjoy being babied and they are not at all confused about who they are as dogs. Don't let someone else take away your joy.:grouphug:

·
Registered
4,140 Posts
I hear those comments too, but to tell you the truth I don't mind it because I know that Rocky loves getting dressed up. He puts his feet in the leg holes of the garment and helps me dress him. :HistericalSmiley:I know he's warm and cozy in his pj's at night because we don't use heat in our house. :wub: Everyone is entitled to their own opinion I guess, but that is my preference, I don't want to hear I am wrong for doing it. People do smile at me and look at me like I'm nuts and that's ok, I don't care. :HistericalSmiley:

1 - 20 of 46 Posts