Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so our neighbors rescue differnt types of mastiffs and my mom wants to talk to them about getting out for herself but i am worried about this becuase sunny is still a puppy (6 months) and seems to have no idea he is not 200lbs. While i am totally sure my mom would not get a dog without making sure it had not past proublems with being around other smaller animals i still dont know how safe i feel out this i know some of you have bigger dogs along with your maltese but did any of you get your lager dog when they were not a puppy? and not that i dont think rescuing a dog is a good idea but wouldnt it be likely that a rescued dog would have behaviour issues that might but sunny in danger?

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Paris plays with an English Mastiff (Dutchess, 5yr Old female) and an Alaskan Husky (Tristan, 1 yr male). The Mastiff is like 120lbs, and surprising, very gentle. I think Mastiffs are only scary to look at but have a gentle disposition (but as with rescues, you never know their background story...)

I would say BEFORE your mother rescues this dog, take your dog to visit it and speak with the rescue workers or people that know the dog... try to find out as much as you can about this dog before your family commits. The last thing you want is your dog getting hurt.

Paris doesnt know he is smaller than the other ones.... he totally kicks their butts! (I think they LET him do that...)

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
if there's a chance that your mom could rescue a PUPPY BABY, then go for it. something that would be way tinier than sunny....and you should be fine. and also it should be female (thats what other people told me...since i had female dogs, they told me to get a male dog...so there would be issues on fighting and stuff). if you know FOR sure that the mastiff has a good attitude towards puppies and small dogs, then i wouldnt have a problem. but you wouldnt want to test it with sunny. lol. i hope your mom gets the right dog.

·
Registered
3,287 Posts
Our neighbors have a Mastiff(Enstien,1 year old) and he's very gentle when he comes to visit.I believe for the most part these are very gentle dogs.they seem to be babies in giant form!LOL But almost all rescues come with some kind of issues.But they usually know what they are before they place them in a forever home.

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
I'm not sure how big a mastif is, but it might be a problem at least in the beginning while they get used to each other. I've seen different requirements for rescuing dogs, like no kids, or another dog needs to be in the house... The rescue people can maybe help find a mastif that fits your situation.

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Yeah that is 2-3 inches taller than a Newfoundland, which I think are huge dogs.

I would be concern about a maltese getting hurt playing with a dog that size, even if it was a very gentle dog. All it would take would be one accident.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well almost every (there are 4 next door to me and one of them really scares me)mastiff i have met was really sweet and they seem to think they are little dogs lol i am always worried about sunny around bigger dogs becuase even a dog i am totally sure would not make an agressive move toward him, something that would be safe playing with a dog close to its size would kill sunny like littlepeanut said just stuff like accedently stepping on him would be bad. I would feel a lot better if we could get puppy becuase then at least there would be a little while were the bigger dog would be close in size and maybe they could learn what is ok and what isnt but i just dont know, do puppies come up for rescue often? i know they dont with maltese but i think its easier to rescue bigger breed dogs becuase more people think they are to much to handle

·
Registered
3,287 Posts
Originally posted by Lexi's Mom@Jan 20 2005, 03:15 PM
Yeah that is 2-3 inches taller than a Newfoundland, which I think are huge dogs.

I would be concern about a maltese getting hurt playing with a dog that size, even if it was a very gentle dog.  All it would take would be one accident.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=30570
[/QUOTE]

You'r right I never thought about that

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
One of my old neighbor's had a pit bull (named Chopper). It was about a year old and was the sweetest dog. Chopper thought he was a little dog and Lexi thinks she is a big dog. They would try to play together. I had to stop them after Chopper accidently rolled on to Lexi and she yelped. She wasn't hurt or anything but I just didn't want to chance it. Chopper didn't mean to hurt her. They were just playing, but it had just gotten a little rough. She plays a lot rougher with Ellie (a yorkie).

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have friends with bigger dogs that i have known these dogs since they were puppies and i know they would never try and hurt sunny and i always have to go into long explination about how its not that i think their dog would try and hurt sunny just that it would be so easy for an accedent to happen becuase they always seem kinda offened but i pick up my dog and take him away from their dog lol if i had a big dog at home i wonder if they would still take that excuse

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Originally posted by Lilly521@Jan 20 2005, 08:02 PM
I have friends with bigger dogs that i have known these dogs since they were puppies and i know they would never try and hurt sunny and i always have to go into long explination about how its not that i think their dog would try and hurt sunny just that it would be so easy for an accedent to happen becuase they always seem kinda offened but i pick up my dog and take him away from their dog lol if i had a big dog at home i wonder if they would still take that excuse
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=30615
[/QUOTE]

I have never felt comfortable seeing a very large dog with a small one. I'm like you in that I think accidents can happen. In fact, my breeder wouldn't sell me a small Maltese because Kallie, at the time was 10.5 pounds and she would only sell me a puppy that she thought would mature to at least 7 pounds.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
OK there is no way my mom can get a big dog right now we have sunny and a 14 year old really grumpy cat who i honestly think wants to kill my baby sunny she keeps running im off into weird parts of the yard where he gets lost and starts crying for someone to come find him
well anyways i was just brushing him and he has a cut across is throat from where winnie (the cat) scrated him its got dried blood on it you can tell it was bleeding pretty bad when he first got it my poor baby i am getting worried about leaving him alone with her again now way we are getting another dog i think winnie is going to have to go outside while i am at school tommorrow i dont like the idea fo her scrating him so much he is bleeding (i understand she can get annoyed with him and scratch at him but this isnt the first time i have seen a bad cut on him) man sorry to all of you have really love your cats but i am seriously not a cat person lol

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
I don't think big and little dogs are a good mix no matter how docile and well behaved the bigger one is. I have just heard of too many accidents from this combination. I think it would be especially disasterous with an alpha dog as you say Sunny is. A friend's Maltese lost an eye (and nearly his life) to a normally sweet Golden when the Malt tried to protect his food and went for the bigger dog who snapped back.

·
Registered
7,486 Posts
I have a 13 pound bichon that seems huge around the puppies. That is about as big as I'd be comfortable with. Seriously though, the people that bought our house in Virginia had a French Mastiff. I don't know if all types of Mastiffs have this, but this dog has huge lines of spit that hung from it's face and when it shook it's head that slime went everywhere. It was nice and gentle but it stunk! I hated selling my house and cried for the whole weekend that they moved in. I had to meet them over there on the following Monday for the termite inspection and the house already REEKED (after only 3 days). Ewwwwwww! This dog was their child so it was clean and was treated like a prince. After that day, I never felt bad about selliing that house and I was ready to move to MS.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Awwww, well let me tell you I owned a English Mastiff gently Giant as they say, and its true,,,,she would never hurt anyone,,less it was by accident.

Is there a way u could let them get to know eachother first. But stay right there this way no harm can be done. Mastiff's are not known to be agressive, or mean Dogs. MY Mastiff , LOVED everybody and every dog,she ever met..but she was raised this way. We had her arround taco bell dogs and she never hurt them in any way. Matter of fact the little taco's attacked my mastiff lol

ANyway I wish u the best !!

Jasmin

1 - 17 of 17 Posts